Sign in to follow this  
Slick9

Realair Duke Turbine v2...

1900 RPM and 1000 ft lbs @ 190 kts IAS is my standard cruise and at that I burn a well documented average of 63 GPH. I log burn for all of my flights and have tweaked my performance table at Fltplan.com such that my flight plan from there and my actual burn is +/- 2%~3%. 

Here is my kneeboard for TDv2. This based on -10°C OAT, which is a good year round norm for the low to mid FL2xx range. Of course warmer or colder OAT will affect actual.

This is an earlier version than what I currently use. I would need to cut a new .pdf to upload with my current but the most notable change is that I have corrected the (2) VFE flaps notations: 15° flaps @ 174 kts IAS or below; 30° flaps @ 134 kts IAS or below.

Removed the kneeboard I originally posted tonight and replaced it below with my current version. Took me a bit to convert the pdf to jpeg, upload it to my photo server, and link to it.

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
VG289 4K 27" Monitor; Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Crosswind 3's w/dampener.  
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

Here is my current kneeboard, and my sheet of Vref speeds for the TDv2.

NOTE: The fuel flow references are Per Engine !!!

Turbine%20Duke%20Operation%20V2-X3.jpg

Turbine%20Duke%20Vrefs-L.jpg

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

I actually have a copy of the STC flight manual for the Turbine Duke put out by Rocket Engineering in Spokane, but it really is sketchy about actual cruise performance figures.     I'm guessing an engine operating manual put out by Pratt and Whitney would yield far more actual data like inflight fuel flows, etc.    

I actually have a copy of the STC flight manual for the Turbine Duke put out by Rocket Engineering in Spokane, but it really is sketchy about actual cruise performance figures.     I'm guessing an engine operating manual put out by Pratt and Whitney would yield far more actual data like inflight fuel flows, etc.    

Good way to compare the real life Turbine Duke to this model, but the fuel burn question was about the performance characteristics of this model.

Frank Patton
ASUS 

looking at Frank's numbers as well as other figures, I guess I've been under utilizing the power of the turbine engines by running them at only 650 lbs of torque and 85-89% of NG, however the good things with that is with good tail wind you can stretch the range by a few hundred miles.  

Regarding cruise altitude and supplemental oxygen - on one forum that I was reading one of the Tduke owners who regularly cruises around FL300 said he believed the FAA certification of the duke to only FL250 had to do with attempting to boost survivability of an explosive decompression. He said he knew his Duke could safely handle pressurization up to FL350 and as far as he was concerned in an aircraft the size of the Duke, an explosive decompression at FL250 would be just as fatal as one at FL350.  Another Tduke owner had replaced the original pressurization system in his aircraft with a Beech Queen Air pressurization system.  All very interesting.

Richard

That is interesting actually....  I'm not saying I don't sometimes pretend I have supplemental... but typically I don't take the T Duke above FL250...  Now the Legacy....   :wink:

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

FL350? Not enough reward for the risk, or for the investment, considering outlay and then stress on airframe and power plants from the additional hours of climbs, which over time increase costs.  Bragging rights? 

Frank Patton
ASUS 

You know something? to further this discussion on TDv2 fuel burn performance at cruise....  If you have a F1 GTN GPS in your RealAir Turbine Duke v2 you can either look at the FF gauge in the engine gauges stack, point your mouse at one of the FF gauges to read the tool tips, or better yet navigate to this Fuel Planning page of the GTN and you can easily see your FF when in any phase of flight.  (see red oval in image below).  Here I am just beginning to slow before beginning my initial descent from FL240 into Daytona for tonight's twin 150 mile qualifying races and staying for this weekends Daytona 500.  So my FF seen here is in the first stage of reduction while still at level flight.

2016-2-18_16-1-11-811-X2.jpg

Frank Patton
ASUS