Sign in to follow this  
jcomm

Eric "Winkle" Brown ( RiP )

http://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.co...t-97-1-4035347

1919 - 2016 - 97 yo

I confess that, just as many other subjects pertaining to Combat Aviation, Eric's name was completely unknown to me until I started playing combat flight simulation games, like DCS and il2 BoS and even Rise of Flight.

I have gained some knowledge about ww2 and ww1 combat aircraft, and air combat simulation occupies presently more than 95% of my simming time per year!

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

Thanks for the link. It is important to note the passing of people such as Capt. Brown, not only in aviation but in other walks of life. They were forged in a different era, in a world made of different stuff with a different attitude. We owe him and others so much. May he rest in peace.

A true legend. His autobiography, "Wings on my sleeve", is, in my opinion, compulsory reading if you have any interest in real-world aviation. He is listed in the Guinness Book of World Records as holding the record for flying the greatest number of different aircraft (487 - excluding different marks!). His record for the most carrier landings (2,407) is unlikely to ever be exceeded. A great test pilot and an all-round nice guy, he will sorely missed.

i7-6700k | Asus Maximus VIII Hero | 16GB RAM | MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X Plus | Samsung Evo 500GB & 1TB | WD Blue 2 x 1TB | EVGA Supernova G2 850W | AOC 2560x1440 monitor | Win 10 Pro 64-bit

I was fortunate enough to meet him a couple of months ago, and asked him to sign my copy of his autobiography, which he did very graciously. He was so polite and humble - he asked my name and held his hand out and said 'Well nice to meet you Paul' as he shook my hand, and I was thinking it's the other way round more like!!

Man o' man. If I can accomplish a fraction of those merits in my lifetime, I will consider my time on earth an exceptional success. What a spectacular man and life he lived. God bless his family and welcome him with open arms.

Let me guess.... you want 64bit. 

Josh Daniels-Johannson

Interesting video regarding Eric Brown:

Bob "roadwarrior" Werab

Config: ASUS Prime Motherboard, RYZEN 5, 32 GB Ram, Radeon RX5700 XT, 2 TB SSD