Sign in to follow this  
Noel

Sorry, couldn't wait: how would P3D display on 3440x1440 resolution display?

Does the image quality look alright on that monitor without using SGSS?

I had some better experience yesterday and I hope it holds up today.   I think what helped the most was installing the latest nVidia driver.  I had been using the 361.43 driver which has touted to be decent and since the new driver and playing around w/ this and that I am getting very good performance now, almost on a par w/ the old configuration w/ the small screen, w/ some caveats. 

I was able to fly the RA Turbine Duke from my small airport to FTX Redding CA airport thru FTX NCA AND keep SGSS2X on with excellent results.  Very fluid again, frames locked at 30.  I have never locked frames at 30 because of loss of frame rate that comes w/ not using UNLIMITED.   But now, w/ the 3415 UNLIMITED means pedal to the metal for the Titan--pegged at 99% utilization, so limited frames to 30 cuts down the workload and it's able to keep up frames to 29+ thru most of that flight until I was landing them dropped down to 23-24 which is reasonable at that airport in that plane.   When I looked at GPU-Z I was only at about 90% utilization or less, so the CPU was the limiting factor there--and again, that was SGSS2X.  There are a lot of variables to play w/ to unload work from the GPU without noticing anything visually, so I'm working more on those right now.  But the original comments were mostly correct:  there is no free lunch w/ 3440x1440 on your GPU that I can see.  It does cost MORE than just video memory, which have and you have ample.

Image quality without SGSS2X is still very good, but I don't see any magic there either.   You will see slight serrations from different angles on the plane exterior, it's subtle, but disappears completely with SGSS4X, mostly w/ SGSS2x.   The next stop for evaluating is the PMDG tubes in FTX Global.   I will see how that works w/ SGSS2X.

The 21:9 format is quite nice as everyone has said.  I moved the screen away from me a few more inches and that of course softens the lack of SGSS4X.  

Noel

System:  7800x3D, Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, Noctua NH-U12A, MSI Pro 650-P WiFi, G.SKILL Ripjaws S5 Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR5 6000, WD NVMe 2Tb x 1, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 1, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM1000W PSU, Win11 Home, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Case, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frame Time Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320nx, WT 787X

Ah interesting, so things might be looking up for you with this monitor. Long may it continue! :smile:

I still think I will hold off for the time being as I reckon I'll need a boost in GPU power to match the monitor and that will require a bit of saving first! I'm still very tempted by the extra width and the curved screen though... one day...

Stuart Furley

I took the PMDG NGX out of FSDT's KSFO-HD in FTX Global w/ SGSS2X enabled and it was a bit choppy at the gate, but the good news is the GPU was not taxed too much in that complex area.  Very much CPU limited situation.  Flying out of the Bay Area frames were pushed down to around 19.8 at take off and then up to 22-27.5 or so until well up and out of that area.  But very smooth.   I have scenery settings basically almost maxed out.  Now that I have that fresh in my mind I will reconnected my 1920x1200 screen and repeat the test.  And then the PMDG 777.   

Yeah, cautiously optimistic now.   Another reason I will probably keep this screen is as time goes on I will at some point either go SLI w/ a used Titan, or wait til the entire thing needs upgraded and then the 21:9 screen will be easier to manage.   I agree w/ your take on your situation--I'm definitely on the edge of iffy GPU-wise, and that is part of my ambivalence, to give up anything on performance now that 3.2 has really upped the ante.   My PC was very balanced, w/ maybe the GPU a little stronger than the CPU, now it's slightly the reverse I feel.   

Noel

System:  7800x3D, Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, Noctua NH-U12A, MSI Pro 650-P WiFi, G.SKILL Ripjaws S5 Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR5 6000, WD NVMe 2Tb x 1, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 1, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM1000W PSU, Win11 Home, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Case, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frame Time Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320nx, WT 787X

After connecting my 1920x1200 back up, in mid flight out of KSFO-HD, Global FTX, NGX, SGSS2X I conclude there is around an 8% hit on raw frame rate.  Image quality I do think is superior on the 21:9 screen--there is less 'swimming' taxiing around and so forth.  I think I will be fine w/o getting a 2nd Titan for SLI.  Also, I did find 3440x1440 settings in my two games used on the other boot up so all in all, it's definitely a keeper  :smile:

Noel

Ugg...watch out for 'light bleed' on this monitor.  Not a good thing for night flights.   Does the LG version of the curved screen do this too?  From Googling this it seems all the Dell U3415W's do this to some degree, I think mine is probably about like the average.   I would consider swapping it for the LG if the LG has no light bleed.  Apparently it in part is related to its IPS panel design.    

Noel