Sign in to follow this  
Noel

Sorry, couldn't wait: how would P3D display on 3440x1440 resolution display?

Anyone who's used 3440x1440 if they could comment on how P3D looks w/ this aspect ratio.   Is there panel distortion, or problems?  I'm used to 16:10, 1920x1200 24" Dell and slightly intrigued by Samsung's 34" WQHD curved display.

Screen%20Shot%202016-03-11%20at%2010.07.

Thanks--posted on the hardware section as well.

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

I have been using a 3440x1440 for years and I found it to be quite an enjoyable experience. You will have to play with zoom levels but once you get it all setup, it's a joy to use!

I got mine last June and really like it.  I have the Dell UltraSharp U3415W 34-Inch Curved LED-Lit Monitor I purchased for $880. I would not pay much more than that if I were you!

Best regards,

• Upvote 1

I've got the LG curved display. Picked it up for $600. It's great! No distortion, but better viewing angles. Like the poster above said, just have to play with the zoom and you'll be all good. I personally turn off "wide view aspect ratio" as it looks a little weird. But all in all, I am very pleased with this monitor. 

Thanks all, it sounds like all are happy, but still wonder, does this aspect ratio distort panel gauges, round ones for example become flattened?  Great price on the LG!

I run something a little different...3 qnix 32" monitors at 2560x1440x3. I just stretch the p3d window to cover all 3 monitors (7680x1440). Works great. I do not use wideaspectratio, because, yes it distorts anything to the side of center. I use ezdok to adjust zoom, and it looks just like in my avatar...

I feel great with my DELL U3415W. Here are two videos to show how a 21/9 ratio performed in full screen front view and in cockpit virtuel with "Wide aspect ratio" set to ON.

Should I mention that there are no distortion ?

Here are as well two screenshots with "Wide Aspect Ratio" set to ON (first screen) and OFF and default zoom (0.7).

25447451790_814896bebd_o_d.jpg

25722137556_b97caeca43_o_d.jpg

My hardware and software configuration : http://20-100-video.blogspot.fr/p/january-update-is-8-go-of-more-ram-for.html

• Upvote 1

still wonder, does this aspect ratio distort panel gauges, round ones for example become flattened?

No. Gauges in the middle are always perfectly round regardless of the screen's aspect ratio.

However, gauges (and other things) naturally become distorted the further you move away from the centre. When the field of view being displayed is modest (say, 90 degrees or less) it is barely noticeable. If you tell P3D to generate a wider field of view (by zooming out) the distortion increases.

If P3D is displaying a field of view in the virtual world that approximates the actual field of view your monitor takes up, things will be roughly life-sized and distortion will be minimal. With a 21:9 display you may find this is inconvenient unless you use a head tracker, since the vertical field of view will be too narrow to show all the instrument panel and the forward view without panning up and down. This means you will probably want to zoom out a bit more, which will increase the peripheral distortion (and make it harder to judge distances and speeds). However, 21:9 (roughly 2:1) is a good compromise over an ultra-wide (multi-monitor) display, which can have an aspect ratio of over 5:1.

WideViewAspect makes no difference to how the display is generated, only to the zoom numbers. You can always get the exactly same display with WideViewAspect=True as you can with WideViewAspect=False. (But not vice-versa because of the 0.3x zoom limit.)

No. Gauges in the middle are always perfectly round regardless of the screen's aspect ratio.

True for 3D Virtual Cockpits, but there will be distortion if using 2D panels.

Just for me to dream, more informed... :-)

What kind of graphics boards is the minimum required to support such resolutions ?

True for 3D Virtual Cockpits, but there will be distortion if using 2D panels.

This is a different issue. Unfortunately an aircraft's panel.cfg file specifies the position and size of 2D panels as a fraction of the screen width and height. This means that for any given aircraft the sizes presume a particular screen aspect ratio and (of course) the panels will appear stretched or squashed on a different screen.

So you just resize the panel. Or change the entries in panel.cfg. The best practical way is to save a flight with the windows sized correctly and they will load correctly when you load the flight.

I feel great with my DELL U3415W. Here are two videos to show how a 21/9 ratio performed in full screen front view and in cockpit virtuel with "Wide aspect ratio" set to ON.

My goodness Vincent that is so nice of you to supply those videos--answers all questions about how the image displays--very lovely :o)

I wonder if I need additional video card.  I know I have plenty of GDDR but not sure how much this impact my CPU's workload at processing stuff on the way to the GPU.  It would be essentially 2x the pixel density of what I am seeing now.   

Comments on what to expect as far as reduced total performance (frame rate & texture update rate)?  I'm on a 3930K@4.43Ghz w/ 1x GTX Titan.

Thank Vincent!

• Upvote 1

However, gauges (and other things) naturally become distorted the further you move away from the centre. When the field of view being displayed is modest (say, 90 degrees or less) it is barely noticeable. If you tell P3D to generate a wider field of view (by zooming out) the distortion increases.

If P3D is displaying a field of view in the virtual world that approximates the actual field of view your monitor takes up, things will be roughly life-sized and distortion will be minimal. With a 21:9 display you may find this is inconvenient unless you use a head tracker, since the vertical field of view will be too narrow to show all the instrument panel and the forward view without panning up and down. This means you will probably want to zoom out a bit more, which will increase the peripheral distortion (and make it harder to judge distances and speeds). However, 21:9 (roughly 2:1) is a good compromise over an ultra-wide (multi-monitor) display, which can have an aspect ratio of over 5:1.

WideViewAspect makes no difference to how the display is generated, only to the zoom numbers. You can always get the exactly same display with WideViewAspect=True as you can with WideViewAspect=False. (But not vice-versa because of the 0.3x zoom limit.)

Much obliged thank you kindly

I wonder if I need additional video card.  I know I have plenty of GDDR but not sure how much this impact my CPU's workload at processing stuff on the way to the GPU.  It would be essentially 2x the pixel density of what I am seeing now.   

Comments on what to expect as far as reduced total performance (frame rate & texture update rate)?  I'm on a 3930K@4.43Ghz w/ 1x GTX Titan.

I let pro answer that question. I came from 1680x1050 and went to 3440x1440. When I change my monitor was also the moment of new nVidia drivers which support more efficently SLI config (I have 2 x GTX770). So it's hard to really measure the impact of passing from 16/9 1680x1050 to 21/9 3440x1440. What was strange was that I didn't need anymore SGSS antialiasing to reduce the shimmering on my GA gauges (A2A, Carenado and Alabeo). Switching to a new monitor made me get rid off nvidia inspector and its SGSS set.

I got mine last June and really like it.  I have the Dell UltraSharp U3415W 34-Inch Curved LED-Lit Monitor I purchased for $880. I would not pay much more than that if I were you!

Best regards,

Got this same one about a month ago. $699 at Newegg, but price matched it at Best Buy for personal reasons. It's awesome!

Got this same one about a month ago. $699 at Newegg, but price matched it at Best Buy for personal reasons. It's awesome!

Wow great price and nowhere to be had currently.  It's sounding really good but I'd still like to know what kind of performance I might be giving up in doubling pixel density.  I have to think there will be some real impact and it's important to know how much as I'm slightly on the edge w/ my preferred planes & scenery.

I've got the LG curved display. Picked it up for $600. It's great! No distortion, but better viewing angles. Like the poster above said, just have to play with the zoom and you'll be all good. I personally turn off "wide view aspect ratio" as it looks a little weird. But all in all, I am very pleased with this monitor. 

hey, 

recently purchased mine (LG 34uc87 ), there are times where i just sit stare and admire the beaut !! 

But i would like to know how you play around with zoom ,as in what zoom settings to use etc in P3D. could you please elaborate on that .

kind regards, 

jaff

hey mark,

thanks for the detailed explanation, sooo in short how do i adjust the zoom level to reduce the 'sides ' distortion on a 21:9 panel ? like should the value go up or down or how does one calculate ?

kind regards,

jaff 

like should the value go up or down

Basically, if you have WideViewAspect ON the view will look exactly as it does now but with more visible at the sides. Depending on what zoom factor you are used to, this will or will not show noticeable distortion at the edges. If you have WideViewAspect OFF, you will need to zoom out (decrease) to get the same effect. You may not be able to zoom out far enough as you are limited to 0.3.

Converting zoom factors

There is no reason not to use WideViewAspect other than what is set for the default zoom factor (set in cameras.cfg). The effect of a given zoom factor is different according to the setting of this flag. To convert between them:

Zw = Z * width  / height

or

Z = Zw * height / width

sooo in short how do i adjust the zoom level to reduce the 'sides ' distortion on a 21:9 panel ? ...how does one calculate ?

Like I said, there is certain compromise inherent with using an unnaturally wide aspect ratio. But to get an approximately life-sized view, read on...

In short

WideViewAspect=True

zoom=1.0

viewing distance = physical screen height / 0.6

Or the longer version

zoom = 34 / (2 * atan(height / (2 * distance)))

That formula assumes WideViewAspect is ON. 34 is the vertical field of view, which remains constant (that's what WideViewAspect does). If you have WideViewAspect OFF, the formula is the same but 34 is the horizontal FOV:

zoom = 34 / (2 * atan(width / (2 * distance)))

Basically, if you have WideViewAspect ON the view will look exactly as it does now but with more visible at the sides. Depending on what zoom factor you are used to, this will or will not show noticeable distortion at the edges. If you have WideViewAspect OFF, you will need to zoom out (decrease) to get the same effect. You may not be able to zoom out far enough as you are limited to 0.3.

Converting zoom factors

There is no reason not to use WideViewAspect other than what is set for the default zoom factor (set in cameras.cfg). The effect of a given zoom factor is different according to the setting of this flag. To convert between them:

Zw = Z * width  / height

or

Z = Zw * height / width

Like I said, there is certain compromise inherent with using an unnaturally wide aspect ratio. But to get an approximately life-sized view, read on...

In short

WideViewAspect=True

zoom=1.0

viewing distance = physical screen height / 0.6

Or the longer version

zoom = 34 / (2 * atan(height / (2 * distance)))

That formula assumes WideViewAspect is ON. 34 is the vertical field of view, which remains constant (that's what WideViewAspect does). If you have WideViewAspect OFF, the formula is the same but 34 is the horizontal FOV:

zoom = 34 / (2 * atan(width / (2 * distance)))

Thanks a ton mark for the vivid/mathematical explanation !  will try this out !

Any recommendations for 4k monitors that are able to provide stable both 30 Hz and 60 Hz?

Any recommendations for 4k monitors that are able to provide stable both 30 Hz and 60 Hz?

Dell 3415w that was mention here, which by the way is my monitor :) You can do 30hz via HDMI and 60hz via HDMI or Displayport. Very nice monitor!

Wow great price and nowhere to be had currently. It's sounding really good but I'd still like to know what kind of performance I might be giving up in doubling pixel density. I have to think there will be some real impact and it's important to know how much as I'm slightly on the edge w/ my preferred planes & scenery.

Can't help you there. Along with the monitor purchase I sold my 2 x R9 290s and purchased a GeForce 980 TI.. :). Your best bet is to google for your card model and benchmarks.

I was also looking for a 4k and the concensus was it was not worth it, unless you want to invest in a serious SLI setup (~$1200-$1400 for the cards) as there is no single card currently that can drive a 4k display as you'd like. That's why I opted for the 34" "3k" monitor.

Dell 3415w that was mention here, which by the way is my monitor :) You can do 30hz via HDMI and 60hz via HDMI or Displayport. Very nice monitor!

It is an awesome monitor (mine! :D) but he asked for a 4K one...

It is an awesome monitor (mine! :D) but he asked for a 4K one...

ups you are right, but its almost :)

How is the performance with a gtx 980 ti? Im thinking of buying one to replace my gtx 970

Hi guys, thanks for the recommendations here. I am considering getting one of these Dell 3415W monitors myself. However, cost would not allow me to upgrade my GPU at the same time. I currently have a GTX 980 (no fancy TI or anything, just the standard 980 with 4GB VRAM, I think). Do you think that would be enough to power one of these beauties? I currently run a 1080 monitor and use SGSS.

Hi guys, thanks for the recommendations here. I am considering getting one of these Dell 3415W monitors myself. However, cost would not allow me to upgrade my GPU at the same time. I currently have a GTX 980 (no fancy TI or anything, just the standard 980 with 4GB VRAM, I think). Do you think that would be enough to power one of these beauties? I currently run a 1080 monitor and use SGSS.

Just my personnal experience. Before my DELL U3415W, I had a regular/old 16/9 DELL 1600 x 1050. With this 16/9 display, it was mandatory - for my personal taste - to activate the fps-killer-in-cloud SGSS. I mainly use GA Aircraft (Carenado/Alabeo/A2A) and gauge in VC were shimmering a lot.

Believe me or not, but after pluging my 21/9 U3415W and updating GeForce drivers, it wasn't that much mandatory and since few months I didn't feel the need to activate SGSS (via NVI) anymore. This frees some GPU power to manage the resolution growth from 1600x1050 to 3440x1440.