Sign in to follow this  
Alan_A

Questions about mixture axis

I've already done a bit of research and I think I know the answer to this question, but as a prospective buyer of the NGX Reboot edition I wanted to confirm - am I correct in understanding that it's not possible to have a lever or button assigned to the mixture axis when running reboot?  My understanding is that a mixture axis assignment makes it impossible for FS2Crew to read the fuel cutoff switch position.

If this is true, then I have a couple of follow-up questions:

-- Does this constraint apply to FS2Crew editions for other aircraft, or is it unique to the NGX?  I haven't found references to it in other FS2Crew documentation but wanted to make sure I'm not missing anything.

-- For those of you who also fly props, how do you manage?  Do you delete the mixture axis when flying the NGX and set it up again when flying prop aircraft?  Do you swap standard.xml files in the Controls folder?  

-- ...or do NGX drivers just not fly props?

Sorry I haven't been able to figure this out on my own.  Thanks in advance for any light you can shed.

Hi Alan,

I think it's unique to the NGX.  I don't recall this issue appearing in the PMDG 777.  It just has to do with the way PMDG programmed the 737.  I recall RSR once mentioning that the 737 is actually built around the FS Cessna 172... such is the world of developing within the constraints imposed by Flight sim  :smile:

I'll let others respond regarding props.

Cheers,

Thanks, Bryan, for the quick response.  I recognize that it's a hard constraint - one of those FSX things - and figured it was particular, either to the NGX or to PMDG in general.  Good to know it's the NGX only.

Will be interested to hear what prop drivers have to say... or if prop drivers don't fly the NGX, that'll be interesting, too.

If I wind up deciding that it's easiest to limit myself to the 777, the Aerosoft Airbus and the Q400, that's not such a terrible outcome.  But perhaps there are easy workarounds.

Thanks again to all - standing by!

I haven’t heard of this but I would imagine a mixture axis would pose a problem only if you tried to use it.  I have all my controls set through FSUIPC profiles so there’s no mixture configured until an aircraft that needs it is loaded.  You may want to look at doing that too if having a mixture assigned really is an issue.

Brian W

KPAE

I would imagine a mixture axis would pose a problem only if you tried to use it.

I wondered about that.  There are other jet simulations - the Lotus Simulations L-39 Albatross, for example - that treat the mixture as a fuel cutoff.  In that case the mixture axis has to be moved to the full rich position during cold-and-dark setup and left there for the duration.  But in the case of Reboot, I'm not sure that'd be effective - would the NGX see the levers as on in that case?  If so, you'd be risking a hot start.  Maybe Bryan can weigh in on this.

I used to use FSUIPC to set up multiple controllers in multiple configurations, but after several years of that got tired of managing complexity and went back to direct setup in FSX.  But maybe a profile just for the NGX would work.  Will give that some thought.  Thanks for the suggestion!

Hmmm... in that case, Bryan, would it be a solution (or at least a workaround) to set the mixture to full rich and leave it there, a la the Lotussim L-39?  Or would FS2Crew look at that setting and misread the fuel cutoff switch position?  Am obviously looking for a way to keep the mixture axis intact... but I realize that that may not be possible and that we may be in uncharted waters.  Wondering if you've ever tried this or if you know of anyone that has.  But if not, then not - again, I'll be happy to look at non-NGX options or find some other way to handle it.  Thanks again for helping me think through this.

would it be a solution (or at least a workaround) to set the mixture to full rich and leave it there

I just gave it a try out of curiosity and it seems to work.  The mixture will fail the engines when moved to or from cutoff, but as long as you don’t touch it you should be ok.  I did have a couple “are you sure” responses from the FO for the start lever position, but only as a result of moving the mixture to test it out and having things get out of sync.  Moving the start levers to idle and back to cutoff syncs things up again.  I was able to do the complete flows several times from preflight to shutdown without issues if I didn’t touch the mixture axis.

Brian W

KPAE

The mixture will fail the engines when moved to or from cutoff, but as long as you don’t touch it you should be ok.  

That's fascinating.  Thanks so much for trying it out.  Just so I understand completely - does it work best when you move the mixture to full rich and leave it there, they way you have to do in the Lotussim L-39?  Or is it OK to leave it anywhere as long as you don't move it?  I hate to press so much for details, but this is probably the last issue standing between me and a purchase, therefore I'm being a bit relentless.  I really appreciate the assist.

I'd just leave it full rich like you planned, it still should see the fuel valves as off so no worries about fuel being introduced prior to moving the switches.  Depending on how sensitive your mixture control is to spiking leaving it in cutoff could cause both engines to shutdown.  I'd also make sure to have the mixture set to full rich before loading the NGX to minimize the chance of things being out of sync.

Brian W

KPAE

Yes, good idea.  In the L-39 it's a first step after cockpit load - mixture level to full rich, then VC fuel lever on, then continue with the rest of the checklist.  But letting the NGX find it there seems safer.  Axis is on a Thrustmaster Warthog throttle (I use the friction lever), so that's pretty reliable.  But best to remove as many variables as possible.

I'm currently doing a few test runs with the Aerosoft Airbus button edition, which I already own, just to get the feel of the FS2Crew approach.  Once I've got that under my belt, I'll pick up Reboot.

Thanks yet again for your help - truly appreciated.