Sign in to follow this  
twister1853

Nighttime Scenery Lights in Megasceneryearth

Hi

In nighttime, I'm getting rectangular blocks with no lights showing in Megasceneryearth LA California.  Does the slider positions in the scenery display have any effect on this?  I'm running FSX on a high spec. PC.

Ray

Possibly.  Is your Scenery Complexity slider maxed out?  If not, then max it.  Does Megasceneryearth give any

recommendations on slider settings?

Charlie Aron

Awaiting the new Microsoft Flight Sim and the purchase of a new system.  Running a Chromebook for now! :cool:

Megascenery is photoreal so I don't think u get changes in time or seasons

Bring back Chief Illiniwek!University of Illinois.

Hi

In nighttime, I'm getting rectangular blocks with no lights showing in Megasceneryearth LA California. Does the slider positions in the scenery display have any effect on this? I'm running FSX on a high spec. PC.

Ray

The only MegaScenery package that included night textures is the older MegaScenery SoCal package found here: http://www.aerosoft.com/cgi-local/us/iboshop.cgi?showd,7344164270,D12052

MegaScenery Earth v1.0 also included night textures but is no longer available.

If you purchased MegaScenery 2.o which I assume is what you have then the only way to get night textures with it are to use this: http://www.aerosoft.com/cgi-local/us/iboshop.cgi?showd,7344164270,D13085 or disable the photoscenery at night time and just use the default, GEX, or ORBX Global non-photoreal textures that include night textures.

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

The scenery is ulra high resolution MegaSceneryEarth 4X and it does have night lighting.  It just that with my settings, there are large black rectangular blocks.

It ocurs even with all scenery sliders maxed out.  I am unable to locate a user manual for MegaSceneryEarth 4X and hence can't check the recommended settings.

Ray

Also, do not get this feature with the former normal res' MegaSceneryEarth 2 scenery, eg Washington Western.

The scenery is ulra high resolution MegaSceneryEarth 4X and it does have night lighting. It just that with my settings, there are large black rectangular blocks.

It ocurs even with all scenery sliders maxed out. I am unable to locate a user manual for MegaSceneryEarth 4X and hence can't check the recommended settings.

Ray

Also, do not get this feature with the former normal res' MegaSceneryEarth 2 scenery, eg Washington Western.

I'm sorry, but MegaSceneryEarth 4x or v2 doesn't come with or include night textures. The square blocks of lights tiles that you are seeing at night are not MegaScenery Earth but your regular default, GEX or ORBX Global night textures trying to render.

None of the MegaScenery titles have included night textures after v1 and thr older CD versions of SoCal, Phoenix, Las Vegas, and Dallas. The reason being is that producing the night textures for photoscenery takes extra time to make them look good and also increases the size of the download since they need to ship with the lightmaps. This is also the reason that MSE doesn't include seasonal textures.

You can verify this by either looking in the scenery folder of the MSE folder and you'll see that none of the bgl's have _lm extentions or simply ask them or anyone on Avsim that owns these titles and they will confirm that MSE 2.0 and 4.0 don't include night textures.

Read below from MSE to confirm what I am telling you.

Screenshot_2016-03-18-18-11-52.png

Thanks for the clarification.

I've looked at the documentation for the version of MSE Socal I purchased in 2007.  It did indeed have night lighting.  I thought when I upgraded to MSE X for the same area, it would also provide night lighting, but you say not.  So are the blocks of lighting I see, a break-through of the default lighting and how can this be when using photo' scenery sitting on top of the default?  I always thought default scenery was blanked out when over-laid with active photo' scenery.  But there we go - I learn every day.

Kind regards.

Ray

Thanks for the clarification.

I've looked at the documentation for the version of MSE Socal I purchased in 2007. It did indeed have night lighting. I thought when I upgraded to MSE X for the same area, it would also provide night lighting, but you say not. So are the blocks of lighting I see, a break-through of the default lighting and how can this be when using photo' scenery sitting on top of the default? I always thought default scenery was blanked out when over-laid with active photo' scenery. But there we go - I learn every day.

Kind regards.

Ray

The only options you have, some of which I explained in my first post are the following.

1. Revert back to your original MegaScenery SoCal product that had night textures.

2. Or use the new MegaScenery 4x version without night textures but buy the Night Environment California package that I linked in my first post and you will have it display night lights over the photoreal and will block the default textures from trying to bleed through at night.

3. Last option would be to just disable MSE 4x when you fly at night in SoCal or other MSE 4x areas when you fly at night.

Unfortunately they don't sell the MegaSceneryEarth v1 (different than the SoCal,Phoenix, Vegas, Dallas) product anymore that had night textures for all thr states that it covered. When they went to MSE v2 and beyond they totally ditched the night textures due to the size of the files and work it would take to make them.

I'd recommend taking a look at Night Environment X that can be used with the newer MSE 2x and 4x packages since it adds the lights and night maps for photoscenery that doesn't have night textures. The only bad part is they only have completed a few states in the US so far that includes California, Florida, New York, New Jersey, and a few others in the northeast. They plan to complete all the states in the US at some point however.

I'd recommend taking a look at Night Environment X that can be used with the newer MSE 2x and 4x packages since it adds the lights and night maps for photoscenery that doesn't have night textures. The only bad part is they only have completed a few states in the US so far that includes California, Florida, New York, New Jersey, and a few others in the northeast. They plan to complete all the states in the US at some point however.

Many thanks for the info'.  I've had a look at the Night Environment X Demo (Berlin): quite impressive.  So I'll get for California.  I have MSE X Lower South California so far and MSE Washington Western.  The rest is default.

Regards.

Ray