Sign in to follow this  
Richard Sennett

New windows 10 beta is bad

My 'client' rig (I run two computers in a network environment) just wouldn't download the Nov update (1511). After numerous attempts, I finally got the latest version to download and install last night. It took several hours, got tired waiting and went to bed. This morning 1511 had been installed. All personal files and installed programs were left untouched as selected in the installer (I did back up my personal stuff just in case). I used a downloaded version of the 1511 update or MS's MediaCreationTool. I made so many attempts that I forget which tool finally worked. Most likely the MediaCreationTool. Sorry.

Good luck Richard.

JJ

i am one of the few probably that bought windows 10 pro, i only use a local account with almost everything in windows 10 turned off,in richards case the only thing he can do is install windows 7 and upgrade back to windows 10

Should not have to do that - windows 7 is gone now - thanks guys going to install it now - fingers crossed

Rich Sennett

How do us Win 10 users prevent that from downloading on our systems and verifying we do not want to participate in beta.

Well that was close had an issue with partition area of install as usual but back to working version of windows 10 - now have to load up p3d see what happens

Rich Sennett

Well that was the problem went back to full rtm and P3D is back in business - wow what a mess - well at least I have a new os and new install of P3D - now to get everything back to normal - that will have to wait till tomorrow night

How do us Win 10 users prevent that from downloading on our systems and verifying we do not want to participate in beta.

For now till I get back into it - go to start - settings - update and security - advanced options on right side - defer upgrades

Rich Sennett

You have to opt in.

Go to Start aa922834-ed43-40f1-8830-d5507badb56c_91. > Settings > Update & security > Windows Update Advanced options > Get Insider builds > If it says Get Started, you're not in the beta.

Thanks Mitch to do it over I would have stayed with win 7 this is crazy - they are making an OS for phones and a dead xbox controller gaming - what a joke - what scares me is you may not have a choice in the future to stay with win 7 - enjoy it while you still can

Right...that's been on my mind...with the July coming up...for the freebie.  I had been hoping this was going to be all sorted out within the year...but it seems to get worse with each release...

Mitch & Rich

I have to agree with you, Mitch, seems in their headlong rush to get us all signed-up to what was purported to be the LAST OS, they well and truly shot themselves in the foot. And before any of the MS fan-boys rail against this, it's my opinion, which, AFAIK, we're democratically free to express.

Mitch & Rich

I have to agree with you, Mitch, seems in their headlong rush to get us all signed-up to what was purported to be the LAST OS, they well and truly shot themselves in the foot. And before any of the MS fan-boys rail against this, it's my opinion, which, AFAIK, we're democratically free to express.

Exactly Rick - very strange game indeed they are playing - tell yah that last rtm version is very nice and I plan on leaving it that way no more silly updating - thing boots in about 5 seconds and things actually work - after allowing updates and such is a no no - thats not going to happen again

Rich Sennett

Rich,

If you are on build 14295, you are clearly on the Win10 Insiders program. Microsoft made it very clear not to run the Insider program on "your everyday computer."

Download and install the preview only if you

• Want to try out software that’s still in development and like sharing your opinion about it.

• Don’t mind lots of updates or a UI design that might change significantly over time.

• Really know your way around a PC and feel comfortable troubleshooting problems, backing up data, formatting a hard drive, installing an operating system from scratch, or restoring your old one if necessary.

• Know what an ISO file is and how to use it.

• Aren't installing it on your everyday computer.

I am also on the Insider program but certainly not on my P3DV3.2 computer.  You could try to go back to an earlier build from: Settings/Update & Security/Recovery/Go back to an earlier build, to see if you can recover your controller function.

Good luck.

Lyn

EDIT: I have had no issues at all with the non-insider updates on any of my other computers running Win10 64. P3D is only on my desktop computer.

Yep, don't blame Microsoft or Windows 10 if stuff breaks in a *beta* release.

The next official major release will be the "Anniversary Update" this summer. The latest stable build right now is 1511 or the "November Update".

I opted against joining the Insider program for the above reasons. I like playing around with new experimental features, but I need my main system to be stable and functional.

Asus Prime X370 Pro / Ryzen 7 3800X / 32 GB DDR4 3600 MHz / Gainward Ghost RTX 3060 Ti
MSFS / XP

Yep, don't blame Microsoft or Windows 10 if stuff breaks in a *beta* release.

The next official major release will be the "Anniversary Update" this summer. The latest stable build right now is 1511 or the "November Update".

I opted against joining the Insider program for the above reasons. I like playing around with new experimental features, but I need my main system to be stable and functional.

Yes exactly  - just didnt know it was a new build - lesson learned - will not do that again - on the positive side a new build of Windows and P3D is an awesome thing 

Rich Sennett