Sign in to follow this  
FlyCathay

Update to Windows 10, good idea?

It's even less of a hassle to download GWX, and you will never see W10 KB  again and you can turn auto updates on with no fear of the W 10 download option  popping up again.

Never heard of it until this thread. I might investigate but I'm perfectly comfortable handling things myself.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

I had a problem updating my Windows 8.1 laptop by clicking the update button. I then did the update on that laptop as well as my simming Windows 7 laptop by using the Windows 10 MediaCreationTool... See .......

http://www.thewindowsclub.com/windows-10-media-creation-tool-create-installation-media-upgrade

All I had to do on the sim laptop was to upgrade my graphics drivers.

So, both laptops are performing a bit faster on Windows 10, my 3x versions of FS9 & my P3d are working perfectly. I have had no issues at all on either machines, apart from Google Chrome browser lagging a bit, Firefox is perfect & Edge is great.

Was it a good move of mine to upgrade? Very much so. Also, the Windows Shop is fun as well. A few good free utilities there, as well a free movie/series apps, so, Netflix can go.

Am I worried  about privacy issues? No, as I use Android, Google, Facebook, HERE navigation apps, etc. & those guys know a LOT more about me than Microsoft ever will.

Am I worried about updates? No, I want my machines to have the latest software.

I have not seen any adverts at all, by the way.

BUT, that is just my experience, others may differ!

So, you can trial Windows 10 for 30 days. If you want to revert back to your previous operating system, there is a setting in the Windows 10 settings. DO NOT ROLL BACK using the Windows roll back settings.

Cheers, & good luck.

• Upvote 1

Robin

"Onward & Upward" ...
To the Stars, & Beyond... 

If I go back to Windows 7 is there danger of not being kept up to date on security updates? What other sacrifice might there be down the road with not updating Windows?

Microsoft won't end security updates for your Windows 7 PC until Jan. 14, 2020.

-Roland

Why do you want to go back to Windows 7? It came out in 2009, optimised to the current PC's of the day. Is your PC that old that it still needs 7? Remember, newer operating systems should match appropriate aged hardware as well.

Robin

"Onward & Upward" ...

Why do you want to go back to Windows 7? It came out in 2009, optimised to the current PC's of the day. Is your PC that old that it still needs 7? Remember, newer operating systems should match appropriate aged hardware as well.

I use several PCs at work with 10 and several with 7. There is zero difference in performance that anyone can detect. Naturally if someone does a clean install of either 10 or 7, it will result in improved performance, but that is because of the clean install not the OS. The percentage of users on W10 is  small compared to W7.  https://www.netmarketshare.com/operating-system-market-share.aspx?qprid=10&qpcustomd=0

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

Ok, thanks Bob. Well, those specs are for desktop only, & does NOT include laptops. You have to signup & pay to see that.

from https://www.netmarketshare.com/features.aspx

Mobile / Desktop / Console Segmentation Upgrade -   Segmentation by mobile, desktop and console (iPhone, Android, Blackberry, Wii, Playstation, etc.), including trending.
This also enables segmentation by platform for the browsers, operating systems and search engines reports. $1,000.00

OMG..$1 000.00 to see that info!!!!!!!!

Sorry, just choosing how many desktops are using which operating system is actually squewed, flawed & pretty much meaningless!

Robin

"Onward & Upward" ...

The only reason is my Level-D 767 hangs my sim with Windows10. Uninstall LVL-D and no problems from any other addons. I hate it because the LVL-D767 is one of my favorate planes but I won't go back to Windows 7 for just that.

Vic green

Talk about a self created nightmare. 

I can only imagine what a nightmare that was.  I'm one of the lucky ones I guess that has no issues but I did a clean installation off USB so maybe that has something to do with it.

You've got a few more years so there is no rush; as I said I had no choice.

Sean Green

I can only imagine what a nightmare that was.  I'm one of the lucky ones I guess that has no issues but I did a clean installation off USB so maybe that has something to do with it.

You've got a few more years so there is no rush; as I said I had no choice.

Sean, do you have the Level-D 767?

Vic green

Sean, do you have the Level-D 767?

I own it but have not used it since 2010 or so on my old system.  I may load it up this weekend again and give it a try.

Sean Green

I own it but have not used it since 2010 or so on my old system.  I may load it up this weekend again and give it a try.

If you do and it works I would like to know.

Vic green