Sign in to follow this  
Bob Familton

Help With A Friends SP2 Install Problem

I have a friend who has WIN10 and FSX SP1 installed in C:\ (not in Programs (86). The Produt ID is 61355. He cannot install SP2.
He gets a message "product is corrupt contact support personnel". He has downloaded the SP2 installer from 3 locations including Micrsoft. He has tried contacting Microsoft with no help.

He has uninstalled FSX and reinstalled it and SP1. He has tried installing SP2 as Administrator and with his anti-virus and UAC off.

He has visited many other Forums with no help. He was on Avsim and Flightsim a long time ago but his logon cannot be located. He is trying to re-register but has nor received his activation yet.

Some of the other Forums told him that he needed the English language.dll which he has in his root FSX folder.

I did a search on my WIN7 FSX Acceleration folder and I see the language.dll but I also see a Setup folder with two sub-folders (DX and XPackCache). Within the XPackCache folder I see a ROOT_language.dll in it along with many other files..

He has no such Setup folder at all. He only has the language.dll in his FSX root folder.

I don't know what the Setup folder is or what it is there for.

Could the fact that he has no Setup folder be the cause of his SP2 installation problem.

If this is not the cause can anyone suggest a way to install SP2. Thanks, Bob.

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Can anyone please answer my original question? I see a Setup folder in my Acceleration with two sub-folders (DX and XPackCache). Within the XPackCache folder I see a ROOT_language.dll in it along with many other files. Is the Setup folder and its sub-folders part of the RTM or SP1 version? If he is missing these folders that might be why he cannot install SP2.

He has no such Setup folder at all. He only has the language.dll in his FSX root folder.

Could the fact that he has no Setup folder and the sub-folders be the cause of his SP2 installation problem?

Is the Setup folder and its sub-folders part of the RTM FSX or SP1? Thanks, Bob.

Thanks. He has SP1 installed properly. He has already tried all the items in the links above. Bob.

Good to see the former lead developer/project manager for FSX/Acceleration responding to a problem here at AVSIM.  Thanks Phil!  Hope all is well at Intel.  I see you are moving up the tech ladder rapidly and that's good!

Thanks for your help!

I did a search on my WIN7 FSX Acceleration folder and I see the language.dll but I also see a Setup folder with two sub-folders (DX and XPackCache). Within the XPackCache folder I see a ROOT_language.dll in it along with many other files..

Those folders will be installed when SP2 or Acceleration is installed.

I would run System File checker (sfc \scannow) to see if there are any corrupt or missing system files - https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/929833

I would also try uninstalling SP1 (which should show up as MS Flight Simulator X in the Add/Remove programs.  Not to worry as it does not uninstall FSX, just SP1.  You can also click on the SP1.exe and you should receive an option to uninstall or repair.  Select the uninstall.

Whenever FSX is installed, you must install the basic fsx, start up FSX, activate, and then run the program at least once.  Once stable and running well, then install SP1.  Run SP1 at least once and make sure the sim is stable and running well.  Then install SP2. 

Before trying to install SP2, try running a registry cleaner such as CCleaner.

If nothing above works, then you will have to fix a corrupted user profile - http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/fix-corrupted-user-profile#1TC=windows-7 . (there's a link for Windows 8 and Windows 10 too).

Best regards,

Check the permissions on the FSX program folder, ensure the Users group has the Modify (read/write) permission. If it's not installed in default Program Files, I've seen a couple of systems updated to Win10 that had lost permissions on user made program installation folders.

Check C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\FSX Properties -> Security tab, and see that Authenticated Users group has Write permission.

Next I would do a complete uninstall and install to the default location and try again to update to SP2.