Sign in to follow this  
Raven9000

Shaky ground and sky?

I think it's part of the overlays shaking and the seams crossing or something similar.

Yep, if you have a scenery that overlays textures on top of each other (e.g. dirt marks or concrete cracks) they appear to jidder. I never noticed that the camera mode wasn't effected, generally when I'm developing an airport I pan around the aircraft and the jiddery overlays can be quite evident. It was explained to me at the time that the issue was that UV coordinates for textures (being floating points) aren't 100% precise so they shift/jidder slightly, although it seems strange that the issue goes away when in free-camera mode.

Odd... I haven't seen this lately, at least on my current rig. Everything is very stable and smooth, no difference between in-cockpit or "C" camera view. 

Where do you have your "flight models per frame" set? Are you using more than one flight model iteration per frame, or just one? And what's your average frame rate? I'm wondering if this might have something to do with the shaking, if it goes away when you hit the "C" camera view.

FWIW, I have my system set at 2 flight models per frame, and typically running high 30's to mid 40 fps with average clouds, up to 50 fps with clear sky. No shaking at all, on ground or stars.

X-Plane and Microsoft Flight Simulator on Windows 10 
i7 6700 4.0 GHz, 32 GB RAM, GTX 1660 ti, 1920x1200 monitor

Odd... I haven't seen this lately, at least on my current rig. Everything is very stable and smooth, no difference between in-cockpit or "C" camera view. 

Where do you have your "flight models per frame" set? Are you using more than one flight model iteration per frame, or just one? And what's your average frame rate? I'm wondering if this might have something to do with the shaking, if it goes away when you hit the "C" camera view.

FWIW, I have my system set at 2 flight models per frame, and typically running high 30's to mid 40 fps with average clouds, up to 50 fps with clear sky. No shaking at all, on ground or stars.

I've seen it at framerates from 30's to 50's. And I have my 'flight models per frame' set at 3, mainly because somewhere I read that's better for flying helicopters. No idea if it helps in that regard, but the flight model is very smooth. :wink: 

Jim Stewart

Milviz Person.

I have tried all values from 1 to 10... nothing changes at all...

Frames I have vsync set right now and are pretty much locked at 30

The flight models per frame option was suggested years ago in regards to this problem. It's not a solution and has no effect. 

This problem has been officially acknowledged finally (in the past year even though it's existed a lot longer). There is no fix.

It shouldn't keep you from flying XP, but just know it's there, it's not going away, and try your best to forget about it.

The ground shaking I could forget about it, won-t see it for log anyway. But the night sky (which is constantly in my windshield...) that's not that easy to do...

Kind of defeats the purpose of XP's superior lighting...

And another thing I can-t get by is the jagged shadows... this is just supposed to be me (I think) but I don-t know how to fix it.

Luckily, I haven't noticed the night sky shaking. Hopefully, I don't.

The flight models per frame option was suggested years ago in regards to this problem. It's not a solution and has no effect. 

This problem has been officially acknowledged finally (in the past year even though it's existed a lot longer). There is no fix.

It shouldn't keep you from flying XP, but just know it's there, it's not going away, and try your best to forget about it.

Okay, but what explains the fact that some people like me aren't experience it? It may be a problem for some, but it certainly isn't universal. My views are completely steady, in and out of the cockpit, anywhere I fly and land.

If it's happening for some people and not others, then there must be an explanation related to either different hardware being used, or different settings in the sim.

The ground shaking I could forget about it, won-t see it for log anyway. But the night sky (which is constantly in my windshield...) that's not that easy to do...

Kind of defeats the purpose of XP's superior lighting...

And another thing I can-t get by is the jagged shadows... this is just supposed to be me (I think) but I don-t know how to fix it.

any chance you can make a video of this?

any chance you can make a video of this?

Yes, here is one of the 2 main issues, the shaking and the jagged shadows:

First part is general with the plane still for some shadows and ground shake. Second is outside view also do depict terrible shadows in general, and last part is reckless driving(?) to get more shadow variants in the VC to show.

Edit: note that depending on the size at which you watch the video it can be deceptive: if you see it too small, the plane itself looks perfectly sharp (as I see it on the screen) but it's harder to notice the jaggedeness I speak of for the shadows. If you watch it too large, they are of course evident but you get the impression that the plane is fuzzy/bad resolution, etc., which it's not..

Yes, here is one of the 2 main issues, the shaking and the jagged shadows:

The shaking of textures is the same issue that I've seen, which I'm sure is the same as what most of us have described.

For the shadows though, I'm not sure. The video could be deceiving, but it would appear that you have little to no anti-aliasing applied to the sim?  Perhaps I was viewing the video too large?

Jim Stewart

Milviz Person.

I honestly thought both of these issues were normal. It's always done it for me and I just forgot about it :-)

yeah the ground tiles moving is even kind of in fsx. What im really interested is the night sky moving. can you show us a video of this because i havent seen it either

The ground shudder in that video can't be normal if some of us aren't experiencing it, or at least not to the same degree. I just did a quick check, and yes... I thought the ground was perfectly stable, but if I look very closely I can see the tiniest bit of high frequency shudeer. I mean tiny... barely noticeable. Not at all like the more severe shaking in that video above.So there has to be some setting or hardware difference that makes us see different amounts of it. The amount of ground shaking shown in that video above is WAY more than I'm seeing.

Regarding the jagged shadows, the one thing that really smoothed out aliasing for me, regardless of how it's set in X-Plane, is opening up the NVida Control panel, then on the Manage 3D Settings tab, choose x-plane.exe and use this setting:

Antialiasing - FXAA  "On"

For some reason, X-Plane doesn't show me good antialiasing unless FXAA is forced on in the NVidia control panel. This is on a Windows 10 system, by the way. Here's my cockpit and exterior shadows with X-Plane set to HDR On, HDR anti-aliasing set to "2x SSAA + FSAA" (a fairly low setting):

There is still a tiny bit of aliasing along the edge of the shadows, but it's not very objectionable to me. It would probably be a little smoother at the highest antialiasing setting if you have a higher-end video card than I'm using (GTX 750 Ti).