Sign in to follow this  
FlyIce

The new Nvidia GTX 1080 could be perfect for triple monitors

Kind of funny how all the Titan X owners are supporting themselves in the believe that the new nVidia GPUs will not reach Titan X performance. Seriously, you don't need to feel bad just because you bought a Titan X a couple of month ago at an insane price tag and now nVidia will deliver the same performance at half the price. This is just how it has always been with IT when you want to have the best of the best. You buy something at an insane price and a couple of month later you get the same performance at a fraction of that price... Just get over it...

I got a good 2 years use of my original Titan. But was hoping to sell it used for some next gen card that will out perform it. Looks like I won't be able to sell it used for enough money to cover the new gpu series.

True Pascal performance isn't actually known yet, especially in P3D. Few folks here are money no object buyers who usually have SLI Titan X, and for them cashing $700 (they'll likely get founder edition) for 20% performance at best is sound strategy. For people with limited sources, like myself, who wants to maximize their purchase value, this round isn't feasible because it's way overpriced. And for the Vidia's VR, their past performance was horrendous. Pascal experience has yet to be seen, for now we only have marketing slideshow.

What could  have greater impact on P3D experience is Lockheed Martin to introduce Dx12 and some kind of async compute (along with much awaiting x64), but it's no small task and likely not in near future.

As i said in my previous posts, this is not just about P3D.. if you look at P3D only, then you don't even need a 980 (I have upgraded from a 780 to a 980Ti and I barely noticed any difference with P3D) ...but many of us does something more than just P3D (using Xplane as well is an example.. to not talk about all the other apps/games).

Follow the enthusiast scene has never been cheap.. :) ..if you look at your wallet you should never consider to run at buying a new GPU the same day it has been put on sale.. *but* we are geek and we want the best! :)

nVidia have introduced (with VRworks) the single pass stereo rendering that will give you almost a 2x boost under the VR applications.

I'm not too much confident about P3D... but again, I do not use P3D only (luckily for me! ). :)

True Pascal performance isn't actually known yet, especially in P3D. Few folks here are money no object buyers who usually have SLI Titan X, and for them cashing $700 (they'll likely get founder edition) for 20% performance at best is sound strategy. For people with limited sources, like myself, who wants to maximize their purchase value, this round isn't feasible because it's way overpriced. And for the Vidia's VR, their past performance was horrendous. Pascal experience has yet to be seen, for now we only have marketing slideshow.

What could  have greater impact on P3D experience is Lockheed Martin to introduce Dx12 and some kind of async compute (along with much awaiting x64), but it's no small task and likely not in near future.

Performance is much faster than 20% more. Also the cards are priced the exact same as when the 980 and 970 launched. Nvidia usually doesnt change pricing at launch of their cards it has been the same pricing for years now. The 900 series is cheaper right now because they have reached the end of their life span. 

Yes they (980's) are cheaper now and I have to sell three,,,at a loss of course.

Paul Grubich 2017 - Professional texture artist painting virtual aircraft I love.
Be sure to check out my aged cockpits for the A2A B-377, B-17 and Connie at Flightsim.com and Avsim library

i-5vbvgq6-S.png

Looks like the 1080 is selling like hotcakes. 

Has anyone benchmarked with FSX/P3D?

Soarbywire - Avionics Engineering

13900 8 cores @ 5.5-5.8 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.3 GHz (hyperthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D4 - GSkill Ripjaws 2x 16 Gb 4266 mhz @ 3200 mhz / cas 13 -  Inno3D RTX4090 X3 iCHILL 24 Gb - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 1Tb - Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Thermaltake Level 10 GT case - EKWB Extreme 240 liquid cooling set push/pull - 2x 55’ Sony 4K tv's as front view and right view.

13600  6 cores @ 5.1 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.0 GHz (hypterthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D - GSkill Trident 4x Gb 3200 MHz cas 15 - Asus TUF RTX 4080 16 Gb  - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 2x  Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Corsair D4000 Airflow case - NXT Krajen Z63 AIO liquide cooling - 1x 65” Sony 4K tv as left view.

FOV : 190 degrees

My flightsim vids :  https://www.youtube.com/user/fswidesim/videos?shelf_id=0&sort=dd&view=0