Sign in to follow this  
FlyIce

The new Nvidia GTX 1080 could be perfect for triple monitors

Also, the "distortion correction" for triple monitors (or more) will not actually correct the distortions.  It will just make them less noticeable by doing things the old way, creating new viewports and running those viewports in parallel on the card.   

VR is what every company is betting on now; most people don't know just how much in phone, processor, graphics hardware and software development is going into the race to VR.  But it is *dominating* all the large players business plans now.  It's what is pushing the bleeding edge in tech, even though the fruits aren't ready yet.  Your phone has that high res screen because of VR more than anything else.  And now all processing gains, GPU and CPU, are tailored for VR.  And like all good races, much of it is being done in secret.

There isn't any reason for anyone to update their phones anymore, and they're all looking to give you your next hook.  

I would say though when we here at this forum are truly pleased, that's when they'll have it dialed in.  We are like the shockwave pushing before the bleeding edge.  Believe it.

Until then, I hope to get my triple monitor distortion fix dialed at some point when my life gives me a chance to think clearly again (It never seems to come, must be PTSD or something.)

Now if they could get my tea, earl grey, hot!

The VR improvement is huge if it can be implemented by LM. I have a Vive now and still waiting on the CV1 and the improvement from the DK2 is pretty dramatic. If these cards can help with the fram rate issues caused by the double rendering, it will be a big step forward.

Terry

The cards are specifically designed to do just that.  That is why Nvidia is making the 2x faster than Titan claim.  The parallel rendering pipeline is for that specifically (8 viewports I would guess, with some of those being used for anti distortion within a larger view).

nVidia never said "2x faster than a Titan X" overall. they said: 2x faster than a Titan X in VR; they also said around 30% faster for "normal" usage.

However the 1080Ti WILL be really 2X faster than the current 980Ti. ;)

This forum will never be pleased by the new GPU's (despite the fact that they are awesome) until LM will update a 10 years engine.. it's not gonna happen soon... the guilty here isn't the GPU maker.. it's the P3D developers.

Hahaha...

Go for it guys...

Some people just need to update with every new card version...

P3D is still at least 70% cpu dependent..

• Upvote 2

13900 8 cores @ 5.5-5.8 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.3 GHz (hyperthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D4 - GSkill Ripjaws 2x 16 Gb 4266 mhz @ 3200 mhz / cas 13 -  Inno3D RTX4090 X3 iCHILL 24 Gb - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 1Tb - Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Thermaltake Level 10 GT case - EKWB Extreme 240 liquid cooling set push/pull - 2x 55’ Sony 4K tv's as front view and right view.

13600  6 cores @ 5.1 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.0 GHz (hypterthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D - GSkill Trident 4x Gb 3200 MHz cas 15 - Asus TUF RTX 4080 16 Gb  - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 2x  Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Corsair D4000 Airflow case - NXT Krajen Z63 AIO liquide cooling - 1x 65” Sony 4K tv as left view.

FOV : 190 degrees

My flightsim vids :  https://www.youtube.com/user/fswidesim/videos?shelf_id=0&sort=dd&view=0

Hahaha...

Go for it guys...

Some people just need to update with every new card version...

P3D is still at least 70% cpu dependent..

Right on Gerard - take at least two years until we something that will blow away a Titan X - its called marketing  :wink:

• Upvote 1

Rich Sennett

the guilty here isn't the GPU maker.. it's the P3D developers

Actually, they're my heros.   What they're doing is like trying to tame a 10 armed sea monster.  We are two of those arms, heh.  I'm sticking with my 2 GTX 780 SCX's for about a year moar.  I really need a CPU I can OC over 5ghz, maybe a few moar cores, and MS to truly open up their DX12 fiber fixes, before I can justify moar GPU.

Ok, looking at this again, it could be pretty nice.  I don't know if an application has to be written to work, but it looks like it also takes into account the angle of the monitors.  The display comes out much as if you are in the middle of a bay window.  It also does not appear to have a curvature of the earth on the horizon line as my current algorithm does.  Nice!  I'm still going to finish out my project eventually in case we'd have to wait for LM to write in that functionality for P3D.

OK, so the number of viewports, stil along a binary 2 4 8 16 32 etc line, is 16.  16.  

http://www.ubergizmo.com/2016/05/nvidia-simultaneous-multi-projection/

Some good reading - looks like there may be sli 1080's in the future on my new dual water loop rig but not until P3D will fully utilize sli

Read viewer comments also - thats the best part  :wink:

1080 version

http://www.techspot.com/news/64736-nvidia-announces-geforce-gtx-1080.html

1070 version

http://www.techspot.com/news/64737-nvidia-announces-gtx-1070.html

Rich Sennett

Guys I think you missed something the first launch versions of these cards are not gaming cards - those are not due out till 2017 at least thats what I gathered from the videos - videos do not say they are twice as fast as a Titan X - nvidia said that and someone is wrong - I think they are not as Nvidia makes this claim every time and the next gen card is only about 20% faster 

They are gaming cards he was talking about VR performance not standard gaming performance.

They are gaming cards he was talking about VR performance not standard gaming performance.

Hopefully the gaming versions are around the same price - that would be nice - bet the AMD folks are having some serious business meetings next week  :wink:

Rich Sennett

Some good reading - looks like there may be sli 1080's in the future on my new dual water loop rig but not until P3D will fully utilize sli

Hilbert (guru3d) posted some pics of the 1080 sli at the conference.

http://www.guru3d.com/news-story/geforce-gtx-1080-photos.html

Here the 1080 gaming...

Doom so be warned... bloody...

http://www.guru3d.com/news-story/doom-2016-on-geforce-gtx-1080-running-vulkan-ivideo%29.html

Hilbert thoughts on the 1080.

Benchmarks have not been shown, but the GTX 1080 in for example VR was faster compared to a Titan X and even faster than two GTX 980 cards. You may expect with games like Rise of the Tomb Raider and The Witcher 3 that the GTX 1080 will be roughly 70 procent faster compared to is a possibility. a regular GTX 980, based on a slide Nvidia showed. That would make it even faster than a GTX 980 Ti now that I think of it.

http://www.guru3d.com/news-story/nvidia-announces-the-geforce-gtx-1070-and-1080.html

Now just need to have it tested in a flight sim!

Guys I think you missed something the first launch versions of these cards are not gaming cards - those are not due out till 2017 at least thats what I gathered from the videos - videos do not say they are twice as fast as a Titan X - nvidia said that and someone is wrong - I think they are not as Nvidia makes this claim every time and the next gen card is only about 20% faster 

+1, I agree Rich.

Regards

Lamar Wright

How is this not a "gaming card"? This is the real deal launching on May 27th. It's been in development for a very long time now.

Also, this is a legitimately huge performance jump because of a totally new die process. Die process is basically everything when it comes to processor (CPU and GPU) technology because it means they can fit more and more transistors... that means more power, and less energy consumption to boot. Less energy consumption means less heat, less heat means higher operating frequencies.

I am putting my 980 Ti on Ebay Monday before the values plummet once the 1080/1070 launch. :)

I think they are not as Nvidia makes this claim every time and the next gen card is only about 20% faster

nVidia's benchmarks look more like 30 to 50% faster than a whitebread GTX 980. I'm guessing that the real improvement averages closer to your 20%.

Nice!  I'm still going to finish out my project eventually in case we'd have to wait for LM to write in that functionality for P3D.

Hi Denali, are you planning to release your software anytime soon? Cheers. 

Soarbywire - Avionics Engineering

Actually, they're my heros.   What they're doing is like trying to tame a 10 armed sea monster.  We are two of those arms, heh.  I'm sticking with my 2 GTX 780 SCX's for about a year moar.  I really need a CPU I can OC over 5ghz, maybe a few moar cores, and MS to truly open up their DX12 fiber fixes, before I can justify moar GPU.

I say thanks as well, because it's tnx to them that I can continue with my hobby, as I say tnx do Dovetail and to XP as well.

But we can't negate a fact... or we can't blame the GPU makers if a product doesn't take advantage of the new technology.

The saddest part is: no matter how money you're prepared to spend, you will hit the CPU clock with P3D.

Anyway most people doesn't uses a gfx card for a single product (many here does.. but the world is big! :) ).. so P3D/FSX isn't the only product out there, a 1080 will be a waste of money if you play only P3D, but it will improve (almost) all the rest!

I am putting my 980 Ti on Ebay Monday before the values plummet once the 1080/1070 launch. :)

The price has fallen already.. I will keep mine until the 1080Ti release (end of the year / start of 2017).