Sign in to follow this  
rsrandazzo

[08MAY16] PMDG DC-6 Update - Beta Testing Nearly FInished for X-Plane Release!

just because of the non existing feature to save flights properly.

Can you elaborate here?

Kyle Rodgers

Can you elaborate here?

Well, if I save a situation or a flight in X-Plane 10 only the position, the height and the speed will be saved. No panel states. This happened with other aircrafts in x-plane and after I searched several forums the general answer was, that the framework of x-plane doesn´t allow to save complex situations.

So my question was, if PMDG has a solution for this^^  I´m afraid of loading a saved flight with the DC-6 12.000 feet over the atlantic and I have to run an inflight checklist for starting up the aircraft oO

So my question was, if PMDG has a solution for this^^  I´m afraid of loading a saved flight with the DC-6 12.000 feet over the atlantic and I have to run an inflight checklist for starting up the aircraft oO

I know we save a metric ton of stuff for the next flight, but I'm not 100% sure what all gets saved. I'd have to take a look myself.

• Upvote 1

Kyle Rodgers

No I think you got me wrong here. Sry for beeing not clear. Not for the next flight. Just for loading a saved flight. Like "I want to take a break and continue the flight later". X-Plane is known for saving flights only rudimentary.

No I think you got me wrong here. Sry for beeing not clear. Not for the next flight. Just for loading a saved flight. Like "I want to take a break and continue the flight later". X-Plane is known for saving flights only rudimentary.

I didn't misunderstand you - you misunderstood my use of the word "flight." The whole entire purpose of saving anything is in order to use it for the next flight, regardless of whether that flight starts on the ground or in the air. In any case, as I mentioned earlier: "I know we save a metric ton of stuff for the next [sim session], but I'm not 100% sure what all gets saved. I'd have to take a look myself."

Kyle Rodgers

Good plane!

Hope to see modern airliners from PMDG in X-Plane! I just migrated and will no back to P3D.

José Fco. Ibáñez /// i7 6700k (Delid) @ 4,6 Ghz /// Asrock Z170 OC Formula /// 16GB RAM G.Skill Ripjaws V 3200 /// GTX 1070 Founders Edition 8GB /// LG 27UD58 4K 27' // OCZ Vertex 4 SSD (X-Plane 10) & SAMSUNG 850 EVO SSD (P3D V3) /// Windows 10 Pro x64

sig_FSL-By-Wire.jpg

I didn't misunderstand you - you misunderstood my use of the word "flight." The whole entire purpose of saving anything is in order to use it for the next flight, regardless of whether that flight starts on the ground or in the air. In any case, as I mentioned earlier: "I know we save a metric ton of stuff for the next [sim session], but I'm not 100% sure what all gets saved. I'd have to take a look myself."

Ah ok. Thank you Kyle. "A metric ton" sounds good. At least it doesn´t mean we are "gliding cold & dark" when loading a flight XD Well then I should reconsider buying it and don´t have to wait for the Prepar3d Version.

for all you inpatient future DC-6 Pilots out there, go flight your other aircraft till release, you will probably not be touching them for a while :wink:

• Upvote 1

for all you inpatient future DC-6 Pilots out there, go flight your other aircraft till release, you will probably not be touching them for a while :wink:

LOL! They are all going to need some serious practice at "flying" first though. The real pilot stuff. No slave to the magenta line or slave to the FMC here. Then after flying the DC 6 they may be better pilots!

• Upvote 2

:smile:  :smile: LOL :smile:  :smile:  

100%75%50%d8a34be0e82d98b5a45ff4336cd0dddc

0D8701AB-1210-4FF8-BD6C-309792740F81.gif

Patrick

LOL! They are all going to need some serious practice at "flying" first though. The real pilot stuff. No slave to the magenta line or slave to the FMC here. Then after flying the DC 6 they may be better pilots!

Sorry but which modern airliner is designed to be hand flown? The T7 is trim for airspeed not pitch with the FBW system. I am looking forward to the DC-6 but I believe it still has an autopilot albeit a rudimentary one.

David Thwaites

Sorry but which modern airliner is designed to be hand flown? The T7 is trim for airspeed not pitch with the FBW system. I am looking forward to the DC-6 but I believe it still has an autopilot albeit a rudimentary one.

His point was an accurate one. You definitely have to be more involved with piloting the aircraft in order to fly the 6 and not have it bite you. What was your post attempting to make light of?

Kyle Rodgers

His point was an accurate one. You definitely have to be more involved with piloting the aircraft in order to fly the 6 and not have it bite you. What was your post attempting to make light of?

The whole 'Slave of magenta' thing. Modern airliners are designed to be flown by the auto flight systems. The DC-6 is from a period before that but it does not make people who use the automation any worse virtual pilots.

David Thwaites

The whole 'Slave of magenta' thing. Modern airliners are designed to be flown by the auto flight systems. The DC-6 is from a period before that but it does not make people who use the automation any worse virtual pilots.

To be honest, I'd argue that anyone who has flown an aircraft of any sort of vintage - without all of the pilot aids of today - is likely going to be a better pilot simply for the fact that he or she has to better and fully understand their aircraft.

In a 777, you may make a brief note that the CLB thrust setting is X today. If something is slightly different today, the FADEC will compensate for it and you probably won't even notice it. In the 6, you note that the climb setting is normally X, but today there's a heap of humidity in the air...what actions must you take (or must you ensure that you verify have been taken) in order to not have 4 stopped props?

It might feel good to think that pilots today are no better than pilots of an older time since it won't bruise any egos, but it's not entirely an accurate thought. In some ways, the automation has helped, but in many others it has evolved into compensating for shortcomings. Granted, just because someone has flown vintage aircraft doesn't make them categorically better, but there is a correlation. There are countless studies on human factors, along with panels and boards to help address the issues of finding a good balance without compromising pilot skills. Here is one such study from NASA: http://hfs.sagepub.com/content/early/2014/05/16/0018720814535628.full (the TL;DR version is "when things are fine, the pilots are fine, but if you remove automation for whatever reason, good luck").

Think of it this way:

Your 777 is losing its computed mind and things are starting to revert back to the basics. Do you want someone who's flown a DC-6 for a while, or someone who's flown a highly automated beast for most of his career, by your side? Why?

• Upvote 5

Kyle Rodgers