Sign in to follow this  
akmatov

HELP Can't reinstall FSX:SE

FSX:SE suddenly stopped opening.  Has always opened quickly with no fuss, such an improvement over FSX boxed.  Yesterday was in Steam and bought the HD Airport Graphics Addon, supposed to improved a lot of the little airports to some extent.  Started up FSX:SE and got a notice that I needed to provide the license number for Aivla Simple Cam, which I had run first as a demo and then purchased a couple of days ago.  Although I thought I had done this before, I entered the license number.  Since then FSXSE has failed to load - I just get the circling ring and Task Manager shows it as Non Responsive.

I have uninstalled FSXSE and tried reinstalling it five times with no success.  Once I got an ERROR 1005, but only once.  Once I went through the entire SSD and removed every single remnant reference to FSX or Aivla.  I have never had this happen and I have no idea how to recover FSX, any advice would be much appreciated.  I'm out of ideas and altitude - grounded unless someone knows how to fix this.

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

So frustrating when something like that happens.  Did you try something like a registry cleaner?  

I have uninstalled FSXSE

As well as Uninstalling FSX thought the Control panel or though the Steam control panel,  Did you manually delete all 5 folders ?

► Computer ► Your FSX Location ► Steam ► steamapps ► common  ► FSX 

► Libraries ► Documents ► FSX 

► Computer ► Local Disk (C:) ►ProgramData ► Microsoft ► FSX 

► Computer ► Local Disk (C:) ► Users ► your user name ► AppData ► Roaming ► Microsoft ► FSX 

► Computer ► Local Disk (C:) ► Users ► your user name ► AppData ► Local ► Microsoft ► FSX 

tried reinstalling it five times with no success

What do you mean by this?  Did it Install Ok but wouldn't start ?  Or did it just not Install at all ? 

thx for all the good info.  actually while waiting I continued my long trek through google and found that often times the problem for FSX deciding to no longer start is the logbook.bin file getting corrupted.  Since I hadn't deleted it prior to my attempts to fix the problem with a reinstall, the reinstall failed to solve the problem.  I deleted this file and FSX started right up.