Sign in to follow this  
LOT737

C-130

A lot of negative words have been said about Captain Sim, and I've participated in that too. But enough is enough, isn't it? So the intention of this post is to get some opinions of the actual PLANE. Has anyone tried flying it:1. How does it feel flying, airfile any good?2. How is the framerates?3. Are the vc gauges fluid?4. Are the systems any good?So please, in this thread, tell me about the AIRCRAFT, and leave discussions about the company to the other thread(s), cause there's nothing new in the CS bashing threads anymore ...

Guest MJ

I bought it, first impressions are that the model is fantastic. (VC which is all I fly)isn't too friendly on the frames though so if you like VC's you better make sure that you have a high spec puter. The VC does look amazing though.Gauge update is on the slow side, compared to most of the good quality payware GA aircraft but I guess that's too be expected with a more complicated cockpit. Haven't had a chance to fly it much so I'll post more when I have had a chance to take it for a longer flight.Purchase went without a hitch though, I did it through paypal and no problems with that or the download.

Well, I can see why they would keep the gauge refresh rate on the slow side if the VC is already a big framerate hit..... To bring the refresh rate up to total smoothness would probably bring the sim down to a slideshow or worse....... :(

StoneC0ld_zps439869f4.png

Declared weather:  FSX: ASN / FS9: ASE

Guest Shalomar

Donny AKA ShalomarFly 2 ROCKS!!!I have seen the aircraft many times, and looked around the complete interior. It seemed to fly very realistically in external view. I didn't care for the liveries.I did not have a frame rate counter with me, but I could not tell there were any frames and saw absolutely no stutters. The VC is awesome! So sharp and clear, it was like I could reach out and touch everything, but the Leuitanent watching it wouldn't let me.There were a few bugs, but the plane has matured nicely. In fact, the F model was equipped with antilock brakes and conducted a full stop landing and takeoff on the USS Forrestal with no arresting gear or catupult.The latest is the J, thats the one I want. BTW, there's a freeware J in the library if the one I'm getting won't fit on your desk.:-) Best Regards, Donny:-wave

Guest SaVas

>A lot of negative words have been said about Captain Sim, and>I've participated in that too. But enough is enough, isn't it?>So the intention of this post is to get some opinions of the>actual PLANE. Has anyone tried flying it:>>1. How does it feel flying, airfile any good?>2. How is the framerates?>3. Are the vc gauges fluid?>4. Are the systems any good?>>So please, in this thread, tell me about the AIRCRAFT, and>leave discussions about the company to the other thread(s),>cause there's nothing new in the CS bashing threads anymore>...1. Feels great. Feels like the real thing to me, but then again I am not a pilot nor have I ever flown in a C-130, but I love the C-130 and always found it a great looking and sounding military prop as a kid in the 70's so for me this was a must have2. I get no hit on frame rates and I am running ASV-e, Flight Environment, UT-USA, UT-Can/AK, BEV, FSG all N.A. terrain mesh levels, FsPassengers. And thats no frame hits on external, panel or VC3. Seem fluid to me. They dont jerk around and are clear on my computer. Plus they are easily readable4. Considering I have never flown or flown in a real C130, I dont know about the real aircraft systems, but this is a simulator and so far I am enjoying it immensely.5. It looks gorgeous on the outside - Is it perfectly modeled to the nth degree? Couldnt tell you. Again Ive only seen a C-130 and have never designed one for an aircraft company, but does it look like a C-130? Looks like one to me.6. The autopilot works for me, holds an altitude I tell it to, follows a GPS path that I want it to, and considering this is just a simulator, it does its job the way I had hoped.7. Sounds great to me. is the sound accurate? From what I can remember from the outside watching it take off at airshows, yes. Inside sounds? Sounds great again to me, but then once again ive never flown in one.8. So far all the buttons I need to work...work.9. is it worth $51.00? I put it on my credit card and my gf gave me $50 cash as she didnt have her credit card here to buy it for me, so to me it is because as I said above I have loved the C-130 for a long time and these days $51 buys me about 3/4 a tank of gas, or dinner for 2 at a mediocre restaurant, or a trip to the movies for two only to find the movie was horrible, or maybe a few hours on the town at some watering hole drinking vodka martinis. At least this way I get hours of enjoyment from simming.As for the error that you tried installing it too many times, log out of your PC reboot, then attempt it again. it worked like a charm for me.

Guest crabster

>>7................................ Inside sounds? Sounds great again to me, but then once again ive never flown in one.>>Having flown as a PAX in them a few times I can tell you that if you don't wear a headset you will have a headache. They are noisy. :)

Guest Dakota

How do the thrust reversers sound?

Guest Tumbleweed

SaVasThanks. That's all I need to know and all I wanted to know. I too am a C-130 fan for many years and will get the product regardless.Give it a break guys - like SaVas said, $51 is easily spent on a night out in town. I think it's a reasonably safe gamble - even though there are initial install/teething problems. I don't have it yet but will definately be getting it with my new puter. I for one can't wait.Erich

Guest SaVas

The thrust reverser sounds fine to me (based on the sim)So far I am very impressed with this one and have been looking for a very detailed C-130. I am loving it. I also like the ability of making the paint finish matte instead of that shiny look.Basing my enjoyment for simulator add-ons, I think CS did a fantastic job with this one and money my gf spent as an early Xmas present to me well spent and honestly I will be spending a LOT of time in this one. As for realism, could I fly a real C-130 after flying the CS version? Doubtful, but then again I dont think I would have the opportunity anyway. Does it feel good in the sim? To me it feels excellent. Now will someone who has flown in one or flown one find it realistic? that I could not answer. Would I recommend it to someone who has never flown in one or flown one? Definitely. Someone that has? Most of the switches in the VC are clickable, and the guages are almost like the 2D panel clarity (though I never fly in the flat 2D panel view as I personally find it boring), yet I also like to fly in external view or as a passenger not always as a pilot.My flying is sim flying and as long as I like it in the sim, I am happy, and I am definitely happy with this one.

> yet I>also like to fly in external view or as a passenger not always>as a pilot.>I fly a LOT of external view also. And it's because I can! Flew lots of R/C for many years in external view which makes it easy. I figure that those, who fly from the cockpit only, do so, because they can't fly spot view very well. :D Scanning is more realistic in spot view, as the view from the cockpit, even with VC's is compromised in regards to peripheral vision.As to the C-130, I'll have to give it a lot of thought. My son, who is in the U.S. AirForce, spends most of his time in one.L.Adamson

Guest MJ

A quick video showing the VC in action. I have noticed a problem when switching out of the VC to an external view and then going back into the VC, seems like the FPS drops a little. I get around 30+ fps in most GA VC's and I get about 20-28 in the C130.http://www.mikejgolfdesign.com/CS130H.wmv

Hey, its Mike from mikejgolfdesign.com! This guy is the best golf course designer out there. Check out his website: www.mikejgolfdesign.com (Augusta is awesome).If Mike has plans to develop flight simulator sceneries, then look out guys... John.

Guest JTEK99

Esoteric question, but....I'm stuck here at work for a few more hours, but I'd love to print the manuals out (color laser printers!). If I purchase it from here, do I have to install it to have access to the manuals? Or are the manuals available to me easily after purchase? (I'm crossing my fingers, but I know it's probably not going to be so)On a related manner... what more documentation is provided? I've already printed out the aircraft manual that CapSim put up on their site (132 pages). What else is there besides this one? Anyone?Thanks for any info; I'm bored stiff here at work and aching to get home. :)

I just made my purchase ... very easy, d/l, install, "register" ... all very painless and efficient.Haven't flown it yet ... printing the doc ... did take a very detailed tour and looked around.If you are a Fan of the RFP 747-200 and like all the "older" aircraft detail ... (obviously like the CS and DF 727) then you'll appreciate the details here ... and looks like you need to be an octopus with at least 8 arms to do everything .. hahahahathis looks really nicely done ... gauges 2d and vc look readable to me ... I have a set of Herc manuals purchased some time ago ... reviewed them a while back while waiting on this software ... looks very complex ... Well I'm pleased so far, doc is great, detail is great .. not to learn how to start the thing.I am hoping that maybe there might be a NAKED cargo model ... I have a just planes video .... Air Contractors ... who fly cargo (based in Dublin) for FedEx, DHL and others in Europe ... in the Video ... there is the 727 AND a C-130. The C-130 is leased to AC from Safair ... but the a/c is white with AirContractors blue labels ... Hope someone will paint this!!!! Here is a link to the site with a pic of one of their Hercs http://www.aircontractors.com/gallery/detail.aspx?id=11Neat stuff!!!!!I think I'll plan my first flight out of Miramar MCAS ... or maybe North Island NAS ... hmmmmm ... what to do???Edit: In addition to the 132 page manual there is a 55 page procedurea manual and a 25 or so page performance manual ... they are installed with the software.Cheers!!Paul BenoitKSAN

Guest JTEK99

>Edit: In addition to the 132 page manual there is a 55 page>procedurea manual and a 25 or so page performance manual ...>they are installed with the software.Paul:Much obliged for the information! Looks like I'll be printing that stuff tomorrow after purchasing tonight. Thanks again!