Sign in to follow this  
Vinny002

DC-6 autopilot

I'm using the DC-6's trims.

Okay. Then something you're doing is angering it. Try letting the AFE power the aircraft up.

Kyle Rodgers

Hi, Kyle!

Yes, I'll try the AFE. Question for you. Is there a video tutorial on YouTube on how to power up the DC-6 myself without using the AFE? Thanks!

Cheers

Vincent Majerowicz

Hi, guys!

I tried out the AFE and now the autopilot, and both the captain's and the co-pilot's directional gyros is working like it should!! My goal is to startup the DC-6 without the AFE. Is there a YouTube video on how to startup the PMDG DC-6 yourself? Thanks!

Cheers

Vincent Majerowicz

Is there a YouTube video on how to startup the PMDG DC-6 yourself?

Not sure. I haven't seen any yet. If the AFE starting the aircraft is getting it to work, then it's definitely in your workflow. As you work with the AFE, pay attention to what he's doing (he calls it all out) and that'll give you a good idea of what you need to do yourself.

Kyle Rodgers

Hi, guys!

I did some tests. It sounds like the autopilot doesn't work both on the ground and in the air unless the AFE power up the airplane, and the captain's gyro compass works when on the ground, but the captain's gyro compass stops working after once I get up in the air. Question for you, I looked in the POH I still don't understand how do I set the captain's inverter opposite of the co-pilot's inverter? Thanks!

Cheers

Vincent Majerowicz

Hi Vincent, are you sure to set the power switch in the right position? i.e. disconnecting the ground power only, not the main power switch.

Marco Scuto

Hi, piper piper!

What switch are you referring to that needs to be in the right position? The main power switch is the plane battery, right? Thanks!

Cheers

Vincent Majerowicz

Hi, piperpiper!

I set the battery to plane battery, I disconnect the ground power only. It is very interesting as to why the captain's gyro compass works on the ground and it tops working after once I get up in the air.

Cheers,

Vincent Majerowicz

The upper switch (PLANE BATTERY) must be set on "Plane Battery" ok, but the lower one (BATT.& GND POWER) must be set on "BATT.& GND POWER", the off position turns the battery off, not the ground power off.

Marco Scuto

Hi, piperpiper!

Captain's gyrocompass and the autopilot is working both on the ground and in the air now!! Thanks for your help! Thanks!

Cheers

Vincent Majerowicz

the autopilot is very confusing. I've yet to get tit to engage in flight even after letting the AFE do all the procedures from cold parked to takeoff. once I trim it out the switches do not engage.  Been having to fly it by hand for a while. :blush:

Capt. Robert Rixx

2 minutes ago, FireRx said:

the autopilot is very confusing. I've yet to get tit to engage in flight even after letting the AFE do all the procedures from cold parked to takeoff. once I trim it out the switches do not engage.  Been having to fly it by hand for a while. :blush:

You must be missing a step somewhere :)

Make sure you are in Gyropilot (the switch on the most left position)

Turn knob is centered (There is a click spot to center the turn knob just above it)

Turn on the Gyro pilot On/off switch

Turn on the AP ON/OFF switch on the bottom left side of the pedestal, below the mixtures.

I believe tutorial 1 covers the above steps.

Chris Makris

PLEASE NOTE PMDG HAS DEPARTED AVSIM

You can find us at http://forum.pmdg.com