Sign in to follow this  
Vinny002

DC-6 autopilot

I'm having uncommanded right turns as well...  trims all neutral, doing it by the book.

Loading a situation file? Loading cold and dark? In the air? On the ground?

Did all of you get the update that went out last Friday?

Kyle Rodgers

Got the update, loading cold and dark, no situations... and this is happening in the air, I've been handflying it only for a while but today wanted to try the AP. 

Once I land I'm going to throw it through the tutorial and see if it does the same thing.

Joseph Chamberlain

FAA ADX

Hi, guys!

It is interesting to find out why my airplane have an uncommanded roll to the right when I turn on the AP even when I followed the POH.

Cheers

Vincent

It is interesting to find out why my airplane have an uncommanded roll to the right when I turn on the AP even when I followed the POH.

See my last post, above. If you have exact steps for me to try, then let me know, but I'm not seeing this.

Cheers
Vincent

Full names in the forum, please - first and last.

Kyle Rodgers

Hi, scandinavian13!

Oops! I forgot my last name. Sorry about that. Please forgive me. Thanks! Even though I followed the POH exactly the AP still causes the airplane to do an uncommanded roll to the right. I start from cold & dark. Thanks!

Cheers

Vincent Majerowicz

HI, guys!

I have been thinking about the DC-6 autopilot. I think the DC-6 autopilot have a bug in it where the airplane have an uncommanded roll to the right and with the altitude control on the airplane have an uncommanded pitch down on my part even though I followed the POH exactly. What now? Thanks!

Cheers

Vincent Majerowicz

I have been thinking about the DC-6 autopilot. I think the DC-6 autopilot have a bug in it where the airplane have an uncommanded roll to the right and with the altitude control on the airplane have an uncommanded pitch down on my part even though I followed the POH exactly. What now? Thanks!

None of us are seeing this issue. We'd need exact steps to reproduce. So, please write down exactly what you are doing, personally.

I know what the POH says, but, following that procedure, I'm not seeing anything wrong, which means there's something in there that you're either not doing correctly, or there's some minor difference that's throwing something off.

Kyle Rodgers

Perhaps, before engaging autopilot, set all trim at neutral position....

-----

Jean-Pierre Richaume

*** Jean-Pierre *** (french user)

X-Plane v12.0.9-rc5 - Windows 10 Pro // Laptop MSI GS75 Stealth dual screens ; RAM : 32 Go DDR4 @ 3200 MHz ; CPU: I9-10980HK @ 5.3 GHz ; GPU: Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 Super - VRAM 8 Go  ; 1 disk SSD : 2 To // Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog + Saitek Throttle Quadrant + rudder pedals MFG Crosswing // TrackIR_5

Or do you have any HDG buttons assigned?

If you engage the DC-6 autopilot it'll fly straight ahead. (I think) this is faked internally by a HDG straight ahead. If i do chance the X-Plane-Autopilot-HDG via joystick-buttons (HDG-UP, HDG-DOWN) the DC-6 is following my inputs. So i am able to fake a HDG-follow just by enabling the autopilot in the VC and change the HDG values with my joystick...

So mabey you are doing the same like me accidentally?

Philip Diehl

Hi, scandinavian13!

1. Turn on ground power

2. Switch battery from plane battery to ground power

3. Turn on all 3 inverters

4. Get the engines started

5. All trims neutral

6. Get the airplane up in the air

7. Trim the airplane properly so it is straight & level

8. set the approach mode to gyropilot

9. Turn on gyropilot

10. Turn on autopilot

11. The airplane goes into the uncommanded roll to the right

I hope this helps! Thanks!

Cheers

Vincent Majerowicz

8. set the approach mode to gyropilot

Why are you doing this...?

Kyle Rodgers

Hi, Kyle!

I'm totally confused now!! I just want to get the airplane level when the autopilot is on!!

Cheers

Vincent Majerowicz

I'm totally confused now!! I just want to get the airplane level when the autopilot is on!!

I mis-read your earlier post, since you called it "approach mode."

When you're setting your trims, where are you setting them? On hardware, or using the DC-6's trims?

Try using the AFE from cold and dark through this point. Watch his actions to ensure you're setting the aircraft up properly.

Kyle Rodgers