Sign in to follow this  
GoneMissed

Screen size & resolution for new build

G'day all,

The planning for my new build is going well, I have so far snagged a 480GB SSD and GTX 1070. This will be run on a Z170 motherboard and a 6700k which I plan to overclock.

One thing which I am not sure of is what sort of screen size and resolution to go for. Given the money I'm spending I hope to run with settings mostly to the right. With a few add ons running concurrently, would it be unrealistic of me to expect to run 1440p at a good frame rate?

I would be interested to hear what sort of setups people are running with respect to resolution and GPU/CPU pairings.

Cheers.

I suspect that 1440P driven by a 1070 would be fine.

To be honest though, this is a question I also need to ask.

I'm in the market for a monitor for my Sylake bulid. Driven by an EVGA GTX 980Ti.

The question on my mind is menu sizes! I'm thinking 27 inch and 1440p... but are the menus in the sim and games a decent size to read?

And is it really a big advantage to jump to 1440p over 1080p when we can use DSR in 1080p?

Hopefully these questions will aid both of us.

Edit: From what I'm reading, at 1440p you need a 32" monitor, otherwise the menus are too small.

So for me it seems it's either stick with 24" and 1080p or jump up to 32" at 1440p.

Edit: From what I'm reading, at 1440p you need a 32" monitor, otherwise the menus are too small.

So for me it seems it's either stick with 24" and 1080p or jump up to 32" at 1440p.

Yes it's really just a matter matching the resolution of the monitor to it's physical size. Also depends on how close you are sitting to the monitor. The closer you are the more resolution you need to avoid seeing the dots.

(I have a 30" 1440p and the menus are fine.)

gb.

YSSY. Win 10, 6700K@4.8, Corsair H115i Cooler, RTX 4070Ti, 32GB G.Skill Trident Z F4-3200, Samsung 960 EVO M.2 256GB, ASUS Maximus VIII Ranger, Corsair HX850i 850W, Thermaltake Core X31 Case, Samsung 4K 65" TV.

Yes it's really just a matter matching the resolution of the monitor to it's physical size. Also depends on how close you are sitting to the monitor. The closer you are the more resolution you need to avoid seeing the dots.

(I have a 30" 1440p and the menus are fine.)

gb.

Thanks, much appreciated.  :smile:

27" and 1080 actually works just dandy.. B)

can you see the pixels at 2 foot away though Bert?

I'm thinking I might stick to 24" and 1080P. Money is getting a bit short. And to be honest, huge 30 inch monitors scare me. 

I love my 27 inch Samsung monitor.. at 1080, looks great!

Bert

I have a GTX 970 driving a 32" 2560x1440 monitor and it works fine so a 1070 should work with no problems. When I got my monitor I looked at a 27" with the same resolution and found some of the text just too small for me - for example, the FSX alt menu is hard coded and can't be scaled up. At 32" this is not a problem.

i7-6700k | Asus Maximus VIII Hero | 16GB RAM | MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X Plus | Samsung Evo 500GB & 1TB | WD Blue 2 x 1TB | EVGA Supernova G2 850W | AOC 2560x1440 monitor | Win 10 Pro 64-bit