Sign in to follow this  
tanker

Fs Navigortor

Guest Len

I've had FS Navigator for years and don't know what I'd do without it. It's fantabulous with a moving map you can access while flying.

I'd appreciate some input on the original question (or at least "my" question!): Can someone provide me a comparison between FSBuild and FS Nav? I have downloaded and tried FS Nav, but no option is available for FS Build. For me, the focus is flight planning more than moving map functionality. Any advice?ThanksChris (CYVR)

Guest Kingair315

Am not absolutely sure, but believe -every- reccommendation here is for FSNav... looks like not many are using FS Build or those who do may not think it is better. Ive been using it since it was free, used the free version for sometime afterwards. But, finally purchased the payware. Have never been sorry, and feel it is the best FS dollars Ive ever spent.Ive also found you can use the flight plans with ATC... and sometimes they work better than FS9 flight plans. ATC just tells me to continue on the plan I filed, instead of having me make rediculus changes in the plan.First you create the plan. Then export it to FS2004. Go into the flight plan option and LOAD, without looking at it or changing it. Go back to the field, and file the flight plan. ATC takes over, basically following the FSNav plan as long as you stay on course. (I dont fly with autopilot on, except for altitude hold, turning it off when getting altitude corrections, then on when reaching the next altitude.)

Hi,Not sure if you decided yet, but there is another option for you , a Freeware flight Planner called Super Flight Planner by Alessandro Antonini.It's 100% FREEWARE. Give it a try, as you may find it serves your needs without having to buy something else.Super Flight Planner:http://www.cpinf.info/web/products.phpHope This Helps,Joe

CryptoSonar on Twitch & YouTube. 

Guest IanP

I have both and stopped using FSBuild2 simply because it started sending me half way round the world the wrong way before getting me to destination (e.g. Seattle to London via Greenland, Sweden, Poland and Holland in that order).As is said below this, if you are specifically after planning only, try Super Flight Planner before you decide to get anything else. Of the two, I would definately recommend FSNav over FSBuild.Cheers,Ian P.

I've just downloaded it. Normally I never have problems with downnloads but they terminated twice prematurely before it finally downloaded. If at first you don't succeed try try, again.I'll try and post my comments.

Guest bobsk8

By the way, FsNav has a great support forum on their website.

I've now tried Super Flight Planner (SFP) and, although I was initialy quite impressed by it, ultimately I found it a disappointment.The tutorial provided is very helpful and makes up for the lack of general help files. I began by creating a database of navaids for Western Europe from FS9 with no problems. I then began to create a flight plan for a flight from Gatwick (EGKK) to Edinburg (EGPH). (I chose this because I'd actually taken that flight last Wednesday). I selected the 737-300 aircraft, set the departure airport, and then added the LAM 4M SID (DP). No problems in adding it but the flight plan showed that the distance was 106.3 nm. However, the chart for this SID showed it should be 55 nm. The image of the flight plan shows why. (I've added DET and LAM to identify the key VORS.)http://forums.avsim.net/user_files/131998.jpgThe easternmost waypoint is in the wrong position. The SFP waypoint is some 20nm too far east. The chart shows a turn beginning 10nm west of DET on to 340degM direct to LAM. SFP inserts an extra waypoint some 10nm north of LAM. This results in overflying LAM on 343 deg before almost reversing course on 164 deg to reach LAM.Details of SIDS/STARS for EGKK are in the file ...dpstaregkk.xml. Both these waypoints are in it. I also noticed that this .xml file has the correct altitudes for the SID: 6000ft at ACORN and 6000ft at LAM. However the altitudes in the flight plan are 11000ft and 31000ft respectively. Adding Edinburgh (EGPH - 287nm from LAM) changed the altitude at ACORN changed to 13000ft.I may have been unlucky but I don't feel that SFP creates reliable flight plans. I'd still use it for its database facility just to find the location of navaids and waypoints for use with the FS Flight Planner.

Guest bugbee

Lately, after about three hours into a flight with the PMDG 737, (probably not the cause) FS stops with a error, I have Pete Dowson'sautosave to get back to where I left off, reload, put FS on pause, set up what didn't get saved, the flight plan in PMDG is not saved, I go to FS navigator to find my next waypoint, reload the flight plan in PMDG FMC, delete all the waypoints prior to the next in there, and am on my way again, good backup. Ken

Guest X-ray

Correct, the focus is on flight planning. FSBuild does not have a moving map.The flight planning concept of FSBuild is imho more realistic than FSNavigator. You enter a "raw" flightplan, which you can get from various real life sources, and FSBuild will "build" and autoexport the flight to FS9 and various addons. The exporting is probably even the best feature, it will guarantee you will be using the same flight plan in FS9, ASV, PMDG 737, ... Using FSBuild you can see your route on a map and you can also check if your route matches the current AIRAC cycle. It can also use ASV and other meteo addons to give you information about the winds during your flight.FSBuild is much more advanced (and also more difficult) than FSNavigator. It cannot control your autopilot, which is, if you fly big jets like me, imho a GOOD thing. It forces you to use the FMC for flying (and it can export your route to the FMC), providing a much more realistic experience. In real life, you do not connect a FSNavigator like tool to your 737 to fly it.The weakness of FSBuild is it's autorouting. If you don't plan on using real life flightplans but autogenerated flightplans go for FSNavigator, which does the job much better.I switched from FSNav and FSBuild some months ago and never regretted. FSNav was not advanced enough and no longer suiting my needs. FSBuild did and still does.Regards,Bart

Guest bobsk8

>Correct, the focus is on flight planning. FSBuild does not>have a moving map.>>The flight planning concept of FSBuild is imho more realistic>than FSNavigator. You enter a "raw" flightplan, which you can>get from various real life sources, and FSBuild will "build">and autoexport the flight to FS9 and various addons. The>exporting is probably even the best feature, it will guarantee>you will be using the same flight plan in FS9, ASV, PMDG 737,>... Using FSBuild you can see your route on a map and you can>also check if your route matches the current AIRAC cycle. It>can also use ASV and other meteo addons to give you>information about the winds during your flight.>>FSBuild is much more advanced (and also more difficult) than>FSNavigator. It cannot control your autopilot, which is, if>you fly big jets like me, imho a GOOD thing. It forces you to>use the FMC for flying (and it can export your route to the>FMC), providing a much more realistic experience. In real>life, you do not connect a FSNavigator like tool to your 737>to fly it.>>The weakness of FSBuild is it's autorouting. If you don't plan>on using real life flightplans but autogenerated flightplans>go for FSNavigator, which does the job much better.>>I switched from FSNav and FSBuild some months ago and never>regretted. FSNav was not advanced enough and no longer suiting>my needs. FSBuild did and still does.>>Regards,>BartI tried both FS Build and FS Nav and decided on FS Nav. I thought it was a superior product. You are making the assumption that someone that has FS Nav iis going to use the Autopilot function rather than the FMC, or the built in AP of the plane they are flying. I have beend flying with FS Nav and have never used the AP function of FS Nav, and I doubt very much if other FS Nav owners use it either.

I've actually had second thoughts on Super Flight Planner.Yes, there are still errors in its SIDs and STARS but these can readily be corrected by editing the relvant .xml file. I've also used SFP itself to create additional SIDs/STARs visually.I discovered that I can create new waypoints (ie non stock ones) is SFP which then appear after I've saved the flightplan from SFP as a FS9 flight plan.As a result I am now using it happily. In fairness, I've no experience of other packages mainly because I have very little payware on my PC.

FSNavigator is a nice entry-level planner, but lacks some of the features of the advanced planners, like FSBuild and Flight Operation Center. For example, wind/winds aloft calculations, jetway descriptions in the flight plan and step climb profiles - just to name a few.Personally I prefer FSCommander for the more simple flight plans.Hope this helps.

FS Navigator is a must have especially if you fly on line.If for no other reason than many flight simmers cannot create a workable flight plan with any other product.The ability to publicly share flight plans on-line and the ability to use FS Nav to see other pilots online is fantastic feature. Though you do have to watch out for too many FS Nav sessions breaking flyer's online connecitons.The FS Nav moving map is very good in a second monitor - though I prefer the FS9 default GPS where terrain might be an issue.In my opinion, FS Nav encourages people avoid proper flight planning for enroute navigation fixes, arrival airport information, etc. It's too easy to takeoff and look for those while in the air.However one real advantage for FS Nav is that it has a significantly smaller impact on frame rates. Sticking the GPS in an undocked window on a second monitor can have a real negative effect.FS Nav does a good job of reading the FlightSim navigation data. That's very important in my opinion because trying to fly in the FS world with different 'realistic' data only leads to frustration because most folks cannot update their FS to match the newer data.One thing which has not been pointed out.FS Nav is only available / accessable with Flight Sim is up and running on your computer.FSBuild is available to build and check flight plans at any time. It is a standalone program.For many flights - I can use the FSBuild created flight plan and not have to commit system resources to have FS Nav open and running. Great for high density, high traffic, high impact scenery. I routinely have FSBuild set to export to both the default FS flight plan and FS Nav.