Sign in to follow this  
FromTheFlightDeck_Sim

How to edit buildings

I am new to editing buildings in FSX. What programs do you need to edit buildings/objects in FSX? I have ADE but it doesn't help as it just places where the taxiways are placed.

Thanks!

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

I've only just installed ADE, and hardly skimmed its surface, but I'm sure you can select and move stock buildings around as well as create new ones....

Patrick, have you read the manual that you can access through the html link under the "help" tab at the top of the ADE9X screen?  Worlds of info there that will guide you through ADE and how to use it.  Also, the FSDevelopers website has a separate forum thread dedicated to the use of ADE and also provides tons of help and ideas.

The issue of buildings on the taxiways is an autogen issue.  An airport background polygon will take care of those in FSX, but not FS2004 (FS9).  See the manual.

Randy

I am new to editing buildings in FSX. What programs do you need to edit buildings/objects in FSX? I have ADE but it doesn't help as it just places where the taxiways are placed.

Thanks!

If you are referring to actually constructing replicas of real world buildings for use in your scenery there are a few choices.   The PROS will use Blender, 3DStudio Max and even Google Sketchup.   Then you have to design the textures using either Photoshop, GIMP, SAI or any other art program, so long as you can convert the texture files into DDS files.   

If you are referring to actually constructing replicas of real world buildings for use in your scenery there are a few choices.   The PROS will use Blender, 3DStudio Max and even Google Sketchup.   Then you have to design the textures using either Photoshop, GIMP, SAI or any other art program, so long as you can convert the texture files into DDS files.   

Great! Thanks. Can I use those programs to EDIT default buildings?

Great! Thanks. Can I use those programs to EDIT default buildings?

If you are just wanting to create Generic Buildings to populate then SBUILDERX is your goto.   This is kind of a required tool in my opinion anyway if you are going to make airports or scenery in general.   SBUILDERX will let you make generic custom shaped buildings and I typical use this to populate the airport with buildings that are rough equivalents of the real world using a satellite image map in pretty hi def format.    Once I get all those generics done I can then adjust heights, lengths and widths here and there until the building looks like it's the right scale.   I then label each building on an Excel Spreadsheet with the dimensions used for later reference when working on a custom polygon for the building in Blender/3DStudio Max/Sketchup.    

One thing to note that is ANNOYING about creating generic buildings.  They WILL NOT drop to the terrain all the way.  They float about a foot off the ground.   It is a known bug in the FSX/P3D engine when it comes to generic building creation... a bug no one has ever been able to crush.    I do a full tutorial and creating buildings in SBUILDERX on my YouTube channel which is linked in my signature below.   Hope this helps you.