Sign in to follow this  
Luis Hernandez

StackHash CTD in FS9: check for incomplete photo sceneries!

Last weekend I tried doing a flight between KMIA (MS default) and SACO in FS9 (default, reworked AFCAD, default terminal buildings added and photoreal ground textures I generated in SBuilder 2). Keeping with Murphy's law, I was getting a CTD just at approach. After checking with AppCrashView, I saw it was a StackHash error, for which the CTD guide did not give me the best hope. I was fearing a reformat...

After trying again (I had just saved 30 NM before the airport), I ran Process Monitor along with FS9, until it crashed. After weeding out all the DLL crashes (every single DLL in FS9 reported buffer error), I found the culprit was a missing winter texture (it's winter in Southern Hemisphere). Turns out that I only generated summer and night textures (and autogen), and forgot to generate all other season bitmaps.

After generating all season textures, I could land with no issue. Hope this helps when you see this type of CTD.

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

I ran Process Monitor along with FS9, until it crashed. After weeding out all the DLL crashes (every single DLL in FS9 reported buffer error), I found the culprit was a missing winter texture (it's winter in Southern Hemisphere). Turns out that I only generated summer and night textures (and autogen), and forgot to generate all other season bitmaps.

It's good you found the causes of your StackHash(es).  The Buffer Overflow errors are quite common and mean nothing.  Here's an explanation from one Source - http://www.howtogeek.com/school/sysinternals-pro/lesson4/all/ (scroll down to the Buffer Error section).

I personally think you will get more StackHashes (it's not an error).  I believe it is bad programming on the part of some developer that causes many of these issues.  StackHashes occur and then go away for a while then they return.  Another member, Ray Proudfoot, and I found a missing object in MyTrafficX caused a StackHash.  Removed the object and the crashes stopped (they alternated between StackHash and the ntdll.dll error.  I hope you did find the error because of missing winter textures.  Were they loading or trying to load about when you got the StackHash?  For me, the culprit has been the AI program and it was caused by the AI program looking for a flight plan for an AI aircraft and couldn't find it.  I knew it was MyTrafficX as Process Monitor was processing AI aircraft when the freeze or the crash occurred.

Best regards,

Jim

Were they loading or trying to load about when you got the StackHash? 

Actually, I was the developer. The CTD was because FS9 was looking for the airport ground winter textures as soon as the airport was in range.The 3-4 crashes I had were all in the same place.

Then that makes sense.  My StackHashes were at the exact same spot too.  Thanks for reporting your solution.

Best regards,

Jim