Sign in to follow this  
Aharon

Laptop Users Of P3D V3

Shalom and greetings all my pals,

If there is any laptop user among all of you who uses P3D version 3 or later, please come forward and post here any tips, advices, and suggestions for any laptop user such as me who just bought P3D version 3 meaning I am totally new to P3D and is not well versed with P3D while flying on FSX for 8 or 9 years.

Thanks and looking forward to tips, advices, and suggestions from any laptop user who is pro in using P3D version 3 or later on his or her laptop.

Regards,

Aharon

signCopy.jpg

Not sure really what would be different running P3D on a powerful enough laptop vs a desktop PC but I guess if you have any particular questions people will be able to help you out in here.

For P3D questions this would of course be the forum to post your question in and for any hardware-related questions there is a specific hardware forum.

Enjoy your laptop and running P3D on it :smile:

Richard Åsberg

Currently running P3D v3.4 on my laptop.  Keeping the add-ons constrained to necessary instead of "eye candy central" helps as well.  Not running P3D with all sliders maxed helps.  Don't go into P3D with any preconceived notions that it runs better than FSS either, as both P3D and FSX are 32-bit programs and are limited to the same VAS, both can still OOM, but in P3D, you don't have to concern yourself so much over FPS, as you may have done before in FSX.  There are visual enhancements present with P3D that does make it a better option, but it still has its faults.

I wish you luck and hopefully you do have a powerful enough laptop to run P3D.  I've been a laptop flyer for a few years now, and finally found a rig that has powerful enough hardware to run P3D well enough for what I want.

Shalom aleichem.

-Jim

Engage, research, inform and make your posts count! -Jim Morvay

Origin EON-17SLX - Under the hood: Intel Core i7 7700K at 4.2GHz (Base) 4.6GHz (overclock), nVidia GeForce GTX-1080 Pascal w/8gb vram, 32gb (2x16) Crucial 2400mhz RAM, 3840 x 2160 17.3" IPS w/G-SYNC, Samsung 950 EVO 256GB PCIe m.2 SSD (Primary), Samsung 850 EVO 500gb M.2 (Sim Drive), MS Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit

Shalom Aharon,

i once installed v2.x on my late 2013 MacBook Pro. P3D was running but with lots of sliders more to the left and with very limited and lite add ons installed. I could achieve stable 25-30 FPS. The major problem was the heat generated by the CPU+GPU. P3D almost melted down the aluminum case of  the Mac :vava: I uninstalled everything afterwards.  :wink:

I would say that the heat will also be the problem with most laptops even if you wont install any add ons. I would use a laptop with an external cooling device attached for demonstration use only.  If you like to dig down deeper into P3D go for a solid overclocked watercooled intel i7 CPU with a beefy nVidia GTX 1080 or Titan GPU. 

As Jim already mentioned P3D is still a 32bit app means it will still OOM (that is the dreaded out of memory error when max VAS is reached ). However P3D has lot better engine and of course VAS management than FSX so it will run more stable. 

Greetz

MJ

My youtube blog________________________Prepar3D v2.5/v3

youtubefooter.jpg

Webmaximus, Yashigashi, and MickeyJ,

Thanks for all interesting and useful tips.

More tips from others please

MickeyJ,  Apple MACPRO laptops are not designed for flight simming.  LOL  that is why it got overheated :) And yes, my new laptop have GTX1080 with 6 GB that you recommend.

Regards,

Aharon

signCopy.jpg

If you have a laptop with a 1080 I'm sure you'll be able to enjoy P3D just fine on it :smile:

Richard Åsberg

Yep!!  Finished installing FSX Deluxe with SP1 and SP2 into new laptop and did successful ground testing.  Waiting to start my first flight (off course unfortuately offline since I have to test FSX first before venturing back into Vatsim where I had logged thousands of flight hours and millions of Vatsim events).

Also bought P3D V3.4 but am afraid to install!!!  Ha  ha  ha

signCopy.jpg