Sign in to follow this  
skitapa

Garmin and Navigraph crux

Hi!

I bought and installed your GTN 750 today. Before doing so I also noted that the included GPS data was from July 2016. Recent enough. But I also use Navigraph and I noticed there is a difference between the Garmin, showing me old and faulty frequencies for airport services, and Navigraph giving me the correct ones.

If I understand it correctly it is possible to update the Garmin software for a small fortune, whereas services like Navigraph and Aerosofts Navdatapro are quite affordable.

Is there a cheaper way to have the Garmin and Navigraph information synced without taking out a mortgage on my house or starting a new career as a drug kingpin?

Or do I have to resort to using an old Navigraph cycle?

And just to be clear, I am just a newbie flightsim enthusiast and not a PPL holder so even though I may think thousands of dollars a year for map updates are fine, my wife most certainly do not agree.

My wife wouldn't agree either LOL

Like you've well understood, The Garmin Trainer powering the backend of our GTN simulation comes with its authentic and real  (real as in the same in a real GTN) database. Actually it comes with 2 database:

- Worldwide from Jeppesen (includes Americas)

- Americas only from Garmin

You can choose from either one in the RealityXP.GTN.INI file saved in your aircraft folder. Please make sure to open our GTN manual for more details about this file.

Hopefully it is quite current a database per-sim need, but I also understand as time goes it will get older.

There is no legal ways to update the database for now but to subscribe to the real world database, or purchase a one shot update.

We are looking at innovative ways to offer such option to our customers, but please allow us to focus on the other products in the pipeline before we pursue this avenue.

• Upvote 1

Jean-Luc | reality-xp.com
This message from Reality XP is protected by a disclaimer: reality-xp.com/aboutrealityxp/email.html

Let your voice be heard and help us make a difference for you: Vote !
Open up communications with Reality-XP (Microsoft Flight Simulator Forums)

We are looking at innovative ways to offer such option to our customers, but please allow us to focus on the other products in the pipeline before we pursue this avenue.

I'm just glad and appreciate that you are willing to look into it.

I can imagine though, that there is a lot more to updating the GTN's database because it also includes charts and easy-taxi maps. 

My wife wouldn't agree either LOL

Like you've well understood, The Garmin Trainer powering the backend of our GTN simulation comes with its authentic and real  (real as in the same in a real GTN) database. Actually it comes with 2 database:

- Worldwide from Jeppesen (includes Americas)

- Americas only from Garmin

You can choose from either one in the RealityXP.GTN.INI file saved in your aircraft folder. Please make sure to open our GTN manual for more details about this file.

Hopefully it is quite current a database per-sim need, but I also understand as time goes it will get older.

There is no legal ways to update the database for now but to subscribe to the real world database, or purchase a one shot update.

I got an active subscription for Garmin Europe. Will this work?

I cannot answer this question, but I can tell you that provided the EULA permits you doing so, you might try getting the file out the card, copying it on your hard drive, and trying this out?

Jean-Luc | reality-xp.com
This message from Reality XP is protected by a disclaimer: reality-xp.com/aboutrealityxp/email.html

Let your voice be heard and help us make a difference for you: Vote !
Open up communications with Reality-XP (Microsoft Flight Simulator Forums)

Well, this makes an easy decision for me that I won't be purchasing the GTN 750 mod for my Airfoillabs 350 king air.  I'm glad I caught this all up front before taking advantage of the discounted purchase price for this product today.  Personally, I think RXP should make that well known up front to potential buyers before they hit the buy button!  Maybe you do, not sure 💁‍♂️

I use the Navigraph monthly subscription to update my navdata -- which I thought was ridiculously price but willing to participate going forward.  Yes, its just simming for fun but I need to have up-to-date database(s) as it makes no sense to be frustrated about maps and navaids being out-of-date.  Since spending thousands on my computer system, and after spending time on YouTube and the forums what little I did know what I was heading into.  I quickly learned that simming could 'nickel and dime' me to death satisfying all the wants and desires of this hobby.  I am a full scale commercial pilot and use simming as a study/proficiency process. 

I assumed my original sim purchases of MSFS2020 and xplane 12 would be all that I needed, boy was I naive with that one!

Sorry for the rant, but just putting it out there!

David