Sign in to follow this  
steeley

Freemeshx FSX Help

Thought I would give this mesh a try out by just installing one region eg North America to see how it works out. I think I've got my head around the installation process and I have downloaded the base release. Also downloaded the patches 105, 106 and 107. I would like to get some advice on the following please:

When I install the base pack (N America) and activate in the scenery library do I also need to activate the 'patches folder' into the library too? I see from the installation tutorial that it does appear in the library. Logic suggests to me that I do but wondered whether the base pack of North America installs the 'patches' folder automatically being the first installation of a region?

The patches which have been released to date indicate to me that none of them affect the N America region, am I right? Patch 1.05 indicates it is a cumulative patch. So going back to question 1, unless and until I decide to install other regions, a patches folder in the scenery library is not necessary?

Trying to get a feel from users on how they have found using the mesh. Just as an example I have ORBX Australia installed with Holger's mesh. Anyone flying in Oz? Am I right in thinking that even if I install Oceana region of FreemeshX, FSX will alway find the best mesh LOD  installed for any region and apply it. I also have a few of the ORBX regions installed for North America PNW, Rockies etc., and wondered whether I would have conflicts if I installed FreemeshX but I suppose the same rule will apply eg FSX will pick up on the best mesh and apply it.

Sorry to drone on but have just invested in a new computer and am trying to avoid screwing things up before I even get started.

I've got the patches in the library set above the freemesh x meshes - I believe that's what should be done.

I would think that if you know that another mesh has a better resolution than Freemesh in a given area then you should set that mesh above the Freemesh ones. 

Mark Robinson

Part-time Ferroequinologist

Author of FLIGHT: A near-future short story (ebook available on amazon)

I made the baby cry - A2A Simulations L-049 Constellation

Sky Simulations MD-11 V2.2 Pilot. The best "lite" MD-11 money can buy (well, it's not freeware!)

I think the placement in the library is as shown in one of the installation tutorials for this mesh, thanks. Are you able to comment on the other things I raised. The Patches folder in the library list for instance. Did you install this in the library in the usual way as a separate item yourself or did it appear without any action by you when you installed the region(s)? 

Sorry if I'm being over cautious but over time I've had some bad experiences with scenery adding and the scenery cfg........not I hasten to add because of any developer more likely my own ineptitude...........sometimes anyway LOL

Afraid I cannot remember... I'm sure it was a separate item & I installed it after the meshes. 

Mark Robinson

Part-time Ferroequinologist

Author of FLIGHT: A near-future short story (ebook available on amazon)

I made the baby cry - A2A Simulations L-049 Constellation

Sky Simulations MD-11 V2.2 Pilot. The best "lite" MD-11 money can buy (well, it's not freeware!)

Hi Steeley,

It's good to be cautious about handling the scenery library. If you're not comfortable with modifying the library, make a backup of it first, and then look at many of the tutorials that show you the basics of the library system.

As for FreeMeshX - North America (that is Canada and Greenland --  USA is getting its own separate expansion when real life allows me to work on it), the elevation data I have has been really solid for those areas. So if you only intend to use the NA package, then there is no need to adopt the patches.

But for any other region (except for Antarctica), then I highly recommend the patches.