Sign in to follow this  
s3c70r

Airfoil labs C172 with GTN 750

Hi, somehow the Airfoil labs instruments are fighting with the GTN 750.

For example, I can't change the squawk code as the plane always change it back to whatever was set.

Does anyone have a proper GTN setup with Airfoil labs C172 ?

My GTN config

http://imgur.com/ZXNylqF

No difference bewteen pilot or co-pilot.

Thanks

The GTN is working this way:

1. Changes to the GTN XPDR gets synced back into X-Plane.
  2. Changes to X-Plane XPDR gets synced back into the GTN.

can you confirm at least #2 works?

When #1 doesn't work, it generally means the 3rd party plugin is implementing the XPDR data internally, and tries to sync it back into the sim, instead of using the X-Plane own dataref only. In this case, the 3rd party becomes the 'master' that controls this values from its own internal representation and it usually also ensures the value is under its own control.

I'd suggest you forward this to the vendor and we'll be pleased to assist them with this.

Jean-Luc | reality-xp.com
This message from Reality XP is protected by a disclaimer: reality-xp.com/aboutrealityxp/email.html

Let your voice be heard and help us make a difference for you: Vote !
Open up communications with Reality-XP (Microsoft Flight Simulator Forums)

I confirm that #2 works fine.

I have a opened a case with the vendor. Hopefully they will get in touch with you.

Thanks

We are looking forward this and I'm sure this is something solvable once we get in touch with Airfoil Labs.

This message from Reality XP is protected by a disclaimer: reality-xp.com/aboutrealityxp/email.html

Has this been fixed yet. I'm interested in purchasing both the plane and the GTN units to use for this plane if it's fully functional, meaning that I can incorporate the GTN units into the VC cockpit and all, along with crossfill support.

ASUS ROG Maximus Hero XII ▪︎ Intel i9-10900K ▪︎ NVIDIA RTX 3090 FE ▪︎ 64GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro ▪︎ Windows 10 Pro (21H1) ▪︎ Samsung 970 EVO Pro 1TB NVME SSD (OS Drive) ▪︎ Samsung 860 EVO 2TB SATA SSD ▪︎ Seagate 4TB SATA HDD ▪︎ Corsair RMx 850W PSU

Since s3c70r has posted his message, we have not been contacted by Airfoil Labs... 

Since s3c70r has posted his message, we have not been contacted by Airfoil Labs... 

Still true as of today...

Hi,

I Can only assume this is still true?

I have done a bit of digging on how the AirfoilLabs C172 transponder work , and the following references is used

172/xpdr/xpdr_CODE1

172/xpdr/xpdr_CODE1_lit

172/xpdr/xpdr_CODE2

172/xpdr/xpdr_CODE2_lit

172/xpdr/xpdr_CODE3

172/xpdr/xpdr_CODE3_lit

172/xpdr/xpdr_CODE4

172/xpdr/xpdr_CODE4_lit

where CODEX refer to the digit and CODEX_lit determine if the digit is on (when you press a key on the transponder all 4 lit is set to 0 and then turn on in turn when you enter a digit. however after testing it you can change the CODEX reference with out changing the "lit" reference it will update the transponder code.

there is of course alot more to it than just changing codes, mode selector as an example (if that is integrated in the GTN750).

If I spend some mote time at this would it be something you would potentially integrate in to your products?

We've still not been contacted by Airfoil Labs...

Reading the topic again, #2 case works (that is you change XPDR in the aircraft and the GTN picks it up). What fails (per OT) is #1 case, that is you change XPDR in the GTN and the aircraft won't get the changes. This only means there is some form of 'control' (either a polling loop, or an update loop) in the aircraft code which 'forces' the XPDR value/settings to what the aircraft manages.

yes the values of the transponder (stored in "sim/cockpit/radios/transponder_code" get overwritten by airfoillabs system. this is done by them concatenating 172/xpdr/xpdr_CODE1, 172/xpdr/xpdr_CODE2, 172/xpdr/xpdr_CODE3 & 172/xpdr/xpdr_CODE4. so to make GTN750 compatible with the AL C172, you would need to enter the 4 numbers to these registers.

5 minutes ago, viscab said:

so to make GTN750 compatible with the AL C172,

Somehow, I can't help thinking the best would be the aircraft is made gentle to X-Plane datarefs to start with.

What I mean by this is that the aircraft would gain better third party add-on compatibility if it wouldn't enforce the datarefs values with its own internal 'state', and if it would instead synchronize its internal state with external changes (in this case, changes in the transponder_code dataref value).

This is exactly what we are doing for the radio frequencies, the XPDR code, the audio panel: updates work both ways, GTN->XPLANE and XPLANE->GTN.

That statement I 100% agree with.

however since Airfoillabs costumer service leave alot to be desired, I have tried contacting them in the past and is yet to get a helpful response from them. I was wondering if it would be of any help if I looked in to where they are using custom datarefs and where it "breaks" GTN750 compatibility? I guess what I am asking is there any chance you could "update/modify" the GTN where needed? 

I'm almost certain this is happening in either an aircraft plugin, or an aircraft LUA script. If a script this should make it easier to if not change it to be 'gentle', at least disable the XPDR related code and let the GTN manage instead.

Lovin my GTN SIR!... but ...both Xp11 AND Airfoil Labs have gotten sub windows movable to another monitor...when can we expect RXP's GTN to do the same? 

Regards and thanks for the X-PLANE GTN!!!

Chas

My first sim flight simulator pD25zEJ.jpg

Take a ride to Stinking Creek! http://youtu.be/YP3fxFqkBXg Win10 Pro, GeForce GTX 1080TI/Rizen5 5600x  OCd,32 GB RAM,3x1920 x 1080, 60Hz , 27" Dell TouchScreen,TM HOTAS Warthog,TrackIR5,Saitek Combat Rudder Pedals HP reverbG2,Quest2