Sign in to follow this  
moss1

Render to texture

Hey everyone, I put a search in for this but came up empty. Besides my other nightmares that have reappeared with FS9, I had this question. I have FE2004. I wanted to use the DXT clouds as the others bring my system performance down alot at times. With DXT, render to texture must be ticked in FS9. Is there any benefit in using render to texture other than allowing the use of DXT clouds? It seems like the performance suffers when I do use it. But then I can't use the lower quality clouds. Kind of a catch22, isn't it? I just wanted to see how many of you prefer render to texture? Best regards, Jeff

I use it on with DX textures and find my FPS much better than with it off and 32bit textures.XP Home SP2Asus P4P800-SE Intel 3.0GHZDDR 400 D/C 4x512MBLeadtek 6800GT 256MB (77.72)SB AudigyCH Products Yoke/Pedals USBSee you in the fence...CYYZ

Hello,I use ASV with the DXT clouds textures and it is recommended to "check" render to texture.It works great.

Emile EBBR Z590 Aorus Elite, i9-11900K 3.5Ghz Nvidia RTX 3060, 16 GB Mem, SSD 1Tera + other HDDs, Dual Boot . Win11 Pro X64

Hello altstiff and Emile, thanks for your responses. I am going to try it once again. Last time it just made things studder more. I will give it a shot. Thanks :) Best regards, Jeff

Guest bobsk8

If you ever rebuild your FS9.cfg and upon loading the weather or an aircraft with DXT3 textures, FS9 Crashes, make sure Render to Texture us enabled in the settings menu.. Found that out the hard way... :)

Hey Bob, yep, I know about that one. I had this happen a long time ago. It took me a week to figure out what was happening! This was of course when I first got FS9. Best regards, Jeff

I use DXT stuff and have render to texture off. This notion that it needs to be on was from a long time ago with older vid cards. Newer cards are not affected. By turning it off, the textures look a lot better and a lot less jaggies (for ATI users which I am one). Search the hardware forum for more info.

Eric 

Hey Eric, Thanks for replying. Yes, I am aware of this and agree with you 100%, however if DXT3 clouds are used, a CTD is a sure thing as soon as the sim loads the flight. It works fine for everything else though. It is like I said, a catch22. Oh well, I'm sure as time goes on, things will improve in that department. Have a great day. Best regards, Jeff