Sign in to follow this  
odourboy

Is X-Plane 11 Beta Throttled?

Interesting post from Ben here: http://developer.x-plane.com/

Threaded Nvidia Driver: I now know what you have probably known for a while: you have to turn the multi-threaded driver option off on NVidia hardware for X-Plane to function well. What is happening is: X-Plane is launching enough threads to use all of your cores for background processing, water processing, scenery loading, etc. and then the threaded driver is launching more threads.  The result is too many threads fighting for too few cores.

I've disabled multi-threaded driver option and performance decreased (lower FPS).  But this contradicts Ben's statement going back to 10.4x where "I think" he suggested multi-threaded driver option was fixed?  Somewhat confused ... maybe because I have 16 logical cores?  My GPU (Titan X) does peg at 100%.  If his (Ben) cores are grinding to a halt then it's most likely thread contention and/or HT ON getting into a deadlock state causing the drastic drop from 34 to 4 fps.

Might account for why some see such a difference in utilization and/or performance, I hope Ben can discover a "fix" because many 3D app/games do work better with nVidia thread optimization enabled ... including DOOM which is OpenGL also.

Cheers, Rob.

With it enabled, XP11 was unusable for me (low single digit FPS stutterfest) with my flight usually ending in a GPU driver crash and a black screen. Runs very nicely with threaded optimization off. Polar opposite of your experience- but I only have 4 cores and no HT.

13900K@5.8GHz - ROG Strix Z790-E - 2X16Gb G.Skill Trident DDR5 6400 CL32 - MSI RTX 4090 Suprim X - WD SN850X 2 TB M.2 - XPG S70 Blade 2 TB M.2 - MSI A1000G PCIE5 1000 W 80+ Gold PSU - Liam Li 011 Dynamic Razer case - 58" Panasonic TC-58AX800U 4K - Pico 4 VR  HMD - WinWing HOTAS Orion2 MAX - ProFlight Pedals - TrackIR 5 - W11 Pro (Passmark:12574, CPU:63110-Single:4785, GPU:50688)

I had it enabled and disabled works fine either way - wonder if it has something to do with at least 32gig of ram which I have - dont know could be anything

Rich Sennett

Nothing to do with RAM, but could also be nVidia driver version related.

I've tried Ben's recommendation twice - with my current driver 376.09 and the previouse one (don't remember the driver #). No changes at all.

(i7 6700K@4.5GZ GTX1080OC, 16GB DDR4 3200, 4K res. monitor)

New driver released  - yada yada  376.19 

Unfortunately SSDD, once again the focus is Oculus and a bunch of games that I've never heard of ... Oculus support at all costs path nVidia seem to be on ... discouraging.

Cheers, Rob.

Unfortunately SSDD, once again the focus is Oculus and a bunch of games that I've never heard of ... Oculus support at all costs path nVidia seem to be on ... discouraging.

Cheers, Rob.

nVidia is just preparing for when the next generation of VR hits the stands next year.  If they don't, the consoles will bury PC gaming again.