Sign in to follow this  
gpf3m

Several issues with X-Plane 11 Beta

I have been "playing" with X-Plane 11 for a few days and there are several things that are driving me nuts.

Firstly, Scenery is not displayed when downloaded.  What happens is the DSF files in in the earth nav data file, which resides in the global file, does not have any data in them.  The file is there, but no data resides.  The results, no scenery just water.

Secondly, the buildings at major airports will some times display, and sometimes not.  I can be at SFO with the terminal present, but when I change airports, for example GRR, the terminal and hangers are not present.

At present, these are the major issues that make the simulator not very immersive nor pleasurable.  Perhaps in the future this may be fixed.

I have been "playing" with X-Plane 11 for a few days and there are several things that are driving me nuts.

Firstly, Scenery is not displayed when downloaded.  What happens is the DSF files in in the earth nav data file, which resides in the global file, does not have any data in them.  The file is there, but no data resides.  The results, no scenery just water.

Secondly, the buildings at major airports will some times display, and sometimes not.  I can be at SFO with the terminal present, but when I change airports, for example GRR, the terminal and hangers are not present.

At present, these are the major issues that make the simulator not very immersive nor pleasurable.  Perhaps in the future this may be fixed.

Did you install the full world map or only parts? could be a bad install, in that case better to uninstall that region with water then reinstall again...also there was a statement from Ben in xp that beta have missing mesh parts  beyond 60N (part of Alaska, iceland...) but still nothing about final version.

for your second point, first whats your objects settings, is it max or high? it might be LOD issue, what about if you zoom in you will see hangar? or if you change objects settings will it come back? xp has a system in zooming related to LOD and performance optimisation.... 

regards

X-Plane11

GTX1070 8GB Vram - i7 4770K cpu @3.5GHz Quad core - 16GB RAM

Not all airports in X-Plane have 3D buildings. Airports are crowdsourced, so new 3D airports (i.e. with buildings) are added each day, and then they get updated on subsequent X-Plane releases. On average, around 120 new 3D airports are added each month.

You can see the list of airports here:

https://gateway.x-plane.com/airports/page

I can see there that KGRR is only 2D at the moment, so without buildings.

There's a freeware version of KGRR available, but you have to manually install it:

http://forums.x-plane.org/index.php?/files/file/18187-kgrr-grand-rapids/

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." [Abraham Lincoln]

Not all airports in X-Plane have 3D buildings. Airports are crowdsourced, so new 3D airports (i.e. with buildings) are added each day, and then they get updated on subsequent X-Plane releases. On average, around 120 new 3D airports are added each month.

You can see the list of airports here:

https://gateway.x-pl...m/airports/page

I can see there that KGRR is only 2D at the moment, so without buildings.

There's a freeware version of KGRR available, but you have to manually install it:

http://forums.x-plan...r-grand-rapids/

Thank you for the reply.  New to X-plane 11 and I am impressed.  Now I just have to fix the issue with the DSF files.  The files show but the size is 0KB.

Are you running the demo? There is no scenery in the demo, besides in the KSEA area.

If you have the full version, make sure to pick the correct areas of scenery to be installed - the default is "none", to keep bandwidth and diskspace usage down. The .dsf tiles will be there even with demo or none, but they will be empty (only water).

To download the scenery at a later stage, simply run the installer again.

Jan

You must download the new installer from Laminar's website and use that one. There is a bug in the older one that puts empty - in my case I saw 0kb - files and then never touches it again.

Unselect the region with the errors, so the region gets removed, then reinstall it.

Another option is to delete all the offending files from the Global Scenery directory (or the complete Global Scenery directory) then reinstall the regions.

You must download the new installer from Laminar's website and use that one. There is a bug in the older one that puts empty - in my case I saw 0kb - files and then never touches it again.
Unselect the region with the errors, so the region gets removed, then reinstall it.
Another option is to delete all the offending files from the Global Scenery directory (or the complete Global Scenery directory) then reinstall the regions.

Thank you.  I will try that.  Otherwise I am enjoying X-Plane 11.