Sign in to follow this  
Rocky_53

P3D and my initial thoughts

You bet, anytime.

Just a quick question... did you select NVIDIA in the monitor setup and update your graphics drivers?

Thanks Dave, very much appreciated. 'did you select NVIDIA in the monitor setup'  unsure  I understand what you are referring to Dave, the monitor setup?   Yes, I have tried three drivers. The current one being one ralease from back in August, so not the latest.

Howard
MSI Mag B650 Tomahawk MB, Ryzen7-7800X3D CPU@5ghz, Arctic AIO II 360 cooler, Nvidia RTX3090 GPU, 32gb DDR5@6000Mhz, SSD/2Tb+SSD/500Gb+OS, Corsair 1000W PSU, Philips BDM4350UC 43" 4K IPS, MFG Crosswinds, TQ6 Throttle, Fulcrum One Yoke
My FlightSim YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/@skyhigh776

And when you finally get it to resemble something like you want, you'll find yourself OOM'ing on Finals into any Payware airport you choose to land at.  My Specs are higher than yours - 980ti, and even turning down sliders to normal and using 1024 textures still results in a failed flight.

My last three filghts between one and three hours were a heartbreaking waste of time.

So, i've switched to XP11.  It has great potential and I know that every flight will end when I choose.

Absolutely agree. years of struggling with a 32 bit platform, upgrading hardware, only to find marginal increases. I am now on an i7-4790 3.5ghz 16 GB, 1080AMPExtreme 8gb system. To enjoy P3D you have to upgrade to ORBX, which I have all of their base global, vector, etc. Then with your settings which allow you to enjoy the goodies - I took a flight this morning from EGHI (Orbx airport) to LFBO (Aerosoft) flying RJ100. I have the England ORBX as well. Immediately I could see my VAS dropped well below 1GB - so around 720 mb. As I flew, the closer I got the VAS dropped down to 178 megs on my approach with constant pingings and then.... pop out of memory. Junk. P3D and FSX have had their day. More money than I want to mention I've sunk into a pathetic attempt to keep a dying 32 bit platform alive. Lots of lipstick on a pig. So you can enjoy it by sucking the graphics settings lower and lower with endless fiddlings and settle for less or you  can move on to 64 bit platforms such as XP10 and now 11 and grow from there. I've stopped spending anymore money on P3D. 

Ryzen 7 5800x, 32gb, RX 6900XT 16gb

Absolutely agree. years of struggling with a 32 bit platform, upgrading hardware, only to find marginal increases. I am now on an i7-4790 3.5ghz 16 GB, 1080AMPExtreme 8gb system. To enjoy P3D you have to upgrade to ORBX, which I have all of their base global, vector, etc. Then with your settings which allow you to enjoy the goodies - I took a flight this morning from EGHI (Orbx airport) to LFBO (Aerosoft) flying RJ100. I have the England ORBX as well. Immediately I could see my VAS dropped well below 1GB - so around 720 mb. As I flew, the closer I got the VAS dropped down to 178 megs on my approach with constant pingings and then.... pop out of memory. Junk. P3D and FSX have had their day. More money than I want to mention I've sunk into a pathetic attempt to keep a dying 32 bit platform alive. Lots of lipstick on a pig. So you can enjoy it by sucking the graphics settings lower and lower with endless fiddlings and settle for less or you  can move on to 64 bit platforms such as XP10 and now 11 and grow from there. I've stopped spending anymore money on P3D. 

Lots of lipstick on a pig  :Applause: ha ha, love it. I am slowly coming round to that way of thinking. I have spent thousands £ over the six years I've been simming. Most on hundreds of addons. With my latest build I am still chasing my tail and can't even get P3d to work. I'm getting rather tired of the whole thing. In fact, I am seriously looking at DCS. I know it's a totally different sim, but at the end of the day, it's about enjoyment, and the enjoyment is slowly waning for me as I continually chase my bloody arse round and round tweaking.

Howard
MSI Mag B650 Tomahawk MB, Ryzen7-7800X3D CPU@5ghz, Arctic AIO II 360 cooler, Nvidia RTX3090 GPU, 32gb DDR5@6000Mhz, SSD/2Tb+SSD/500Gb+OS, Corsair 1000W PSU, Philips BDM4350UC 43" 4K IPS, MFG Crosswinds, TQ6 Throttle, Fulcrum One Yoke
My FlightSim YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/@skyhigh776

Yep, this sim thing can be really frustrating. I've been into computers since the late 1980s and I don't  know of any other piece of software that has worse usability than flight simulators. But there's hope. Aerofly FS 2 is mostly plug and play... 

But 2017 is the 64 bit year. Maybe Lockheed Martin or Dovetail will give us all a big great surprise... 

Simmerhead - Making the virtual skies unsafe since 1987! 

Aerofly FS 2 is mostly plug and play...

That is the issue - "play". Its more a game than a flight sim.

Yep, this sim thing can be really frustrating. I've been into computers since the late 1980s and I don't  know of any other piece of software that has worse usability than flight simulators. But there's hope. Aerofly FS 2 is mostly plug and play... 

But 2017 is the 64 bit year. Maybe Lockheed Martin or Dovetail will give us all a big great surprise... 

Hope springs eternal. Aerofly FS2 has huge potential as a 64 bit platform. More importantly, since it has built in VR, right now VR on it is second to none in looks and performance.

Ryzen 7 5800x, 32gb, RX 6900XT 16gb

Thanks for your input Ed. I'm glad to see P3D works for you.  I would  really like to know where your sliders are set to complete an eleven hour flight.  I now believe there is fundamentally something wrong with my installation.

Hi Dean, here you are. Those are my current settings in P3D:

31337267920_58cd9f97a4_b.jpg

Cheers, Ed

Cheers, Ed

MSFS Steam - Win10 Home x64 // Rig: Corsair Graphite 760T Full Tower - ASUS MBoard Maximus XII Hero Z490 - CPU Intel i9-10900K - 64GB RAM - MSI RTX2080 Super 8GB - [1xNVMe M.2 1TB + 1xNVMe M.2 2TB (Samsung)] + [1xSSD 1TB + 1xSSD 2TB (Crucial)] + [1xSSD 1TB (Samsung)] + 1 HDD Seagate 2TB + 1 HDD Seagate External 4TB - Monitor LG 29UC97C UWHD Curved - PSU Corsair RM1000x - VR Oculus Rift // MSFS Steam - Win 10 Home x64 - Gaming Laptop CUK ASUS Strix - CPU Intel i7-8750H - 32GB RAM - RTX2070 8GB - SSD 2TB + HDD 2TB // Thrustmaster FCS & MS XBOX Controllers