Sign in to follow this  
Rocky_53

P3D and my initial thoughts

If you turn on FAST VSync and set maximum pre rendered frames to 1 in nvidia CP you will have your issues resolved I believe. 

Hi Tomasz. The problem I keep runnign up against is conflicting advice. One person offers settings for NI then someone else says not to use NI but to use the Nvidia CP. So, from your stand point, I use Nvidia control panel? But is there list of sitting should I can copy? It seems that one single setting can have dramatic impact on the sim. 

Howard,

I'm running P3DV3.4 under a GTX960, and I get up to 140+fps in the default F-22 at Eglin AFB (default location) running a 55 inch 4K TV as my main monitor, and three 23 inch LCD 1920x1080 monitors (used for other programs).

I get a steady 30fps (locked at 30) in the Aerosoft A320 at most any payware airport, and that's while streaming and running the Aivasoft EFB on other monitors.

My processor is an i7-4770K, running in Turbo Mode up to 4.5GHZ (not overclocked).

I don't have any tweaks in my CFG except for Affinity Mask, and I'm not using NVIDIA Inspector (at the moment).

Hang in there, with your system (far better than mine) I'm sure you'll be able to get it worked out.

Dave%27s%204th%20Monitor%20Added%20Back.

Hi Dave, hmm, very odd. I have only the AM tweak also. Would there be any chance you could share your settings with me?

I'm still running a 670 card and P3D works fine for me. And, I have 4 monitors hooked up to it. Besides your P3D settings...what other software do you have running in the background? I don't mean P3D related software (like weather programs, etc) but other programs and utilities that load in the background when your computer starts?

Another thing I'd check are your CPU and GPU temps while the sim is running. I've learned this from experience. You think you have a stable overclock and temps will skyrocket under load in the sim. The CPU and GPU will automatically throttle back to prevent damage and its actually equivalent to a massive under-clocking (if not a system crash).

Sure, nothing running in the background. I run process explorer and ensure everything is shut down prior to any flight. I also have a load of stuff switched off in services. As for unstable OC, I just run at the default turbo boost of 4.2.

I feel so frustrated that everyone is managing to get P3d to work, but I'm here like a lame duck!

Howard
MSI Mag B650 Tomahawk MB, Ryzen7-7800X3D CPU@5ghz, Arctic AIO II 360 cooler, Nvidia RTX3090 GPU, 32gb DDR5@6000Mhz, SSD/2Tb+SSD/500Gb+OS, Corsair 1000W PSU, Philips BDM4350UC 43" 4K IPS, MFG Crosswinds, TQ6 Throttle, Fulcrum One Yoke
My FlightSim YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/@skyhigh776

I'm beginning to think that you have a hardware problem, but you don't have issues in FSX do you? 

Forget all the advice to tweak (NVidia Inspector or p3d.cfg). P3D v3.4 should be very good out of the box. 

One rule of thumb you should always follow is to set up the sim with no addons and no tweaks as a first step after installation. Get the default sim to run as good as possible, then add the addons and fine tune to suit the complexity and fps you want to achieve. Keep it simple! 

Simmerhead - Making the virtual skies unsafe since 1987! 

@Simmerhead - when you say P3D v3.4 should be very good out of the box, still we need to consider this whole limited FPS bs which is implemented in sim to ensure that all textures are properly loaded but results in huge FPS drop. And that is the only reason why I suggest to set FPS to Unlimited and VSYNC to FAST to prevent tearing (that's the only option where you don't tear below your monitor refresh rate and your FPS don't get halved whenever you drop below it). 

Regarding keeping it simple - I cannot agree more, issue is none of us keeps it really simple after some time ;)

@Rockliffe

I see and feel your pain. Had the same with FSX DX10 scenery fixer at first. 

Again, if you don't have problem in other games (that is the question) you should not face problems here if you approach it in right way. Just try default P3D cfg vs default P3D cfg with above ammendments I'm suggesting. If they fail you can always send me to hell ;) 

I also noted you are using 4x SGSAA and that will KILL your FPS really when you have clouds around. So also, get rid of that. Later on you can apply some supersampling but as its huge fps killer at first we need to see what is really wrong here and I keep believing it's this damned fps cap. 

I'm beginning to think that you have a hardware problem, but you don't have issues in FSX do you? 

Forget all the advice to tweak (NVidia Inspector or p3d.cfg). P3D v3.4 should be very good out of the box. 

One rule of thumb you should always follow is to set up the sim with no addons and no tweaks as a first step after installation. Get the default sim to run as good as possible, then add the addons and fine tune to suit the complexity and fps you want to achieve. Keep it simple! 

Hi matey. Sure, the sim is a brand new build. Only four weeks old. I've just spent the last three weeks installing all my addons into FSX-SE! I just started testing P3d this week. One thing that is incorrect in my signature, is the CPU speed, it should read 4.2, not 4.6Ghz. Not that that will make  a great deal of difference. FSX-SE seems to be working just fine. About the right amount of performance increase from my previous FSX install. Extremely smooth too. One thing that I have found odd with P3d, is the lack of performance change when I alter settings. The only thing that seems to change is when I turn off Vsync, then performance jumps by about 50%! If I add heavy clouds, then it's unflyable. The only addition I have to the cfg is AM=84. I'm running the i7 6700 with hyperthreading on.

Howard
MSI Mag B650 Tomahawk MB, Ryzen7-7800X3D CPU@5ghz, Arctic AIO II 360 cooler, Nvidia RTX3090 GPU, 32gb DDR5@6000Mhz, SSD/2Tb+SSD/500Gb+OS, Corsair 1000W PSU, Philips BDM4350UC 43" 4K IPS, MFG Crosswinds, TQ6 Throttle, Fulcrum One Yoke

Howard,

I never do this except for OVPA Members, but I'll make a 1 time exception as we've seen each other around for many years and I understand your frustration.

I'd be happy to perform live desktop support for you, but before I connect to you we'll need to ensure you have an adequate security suite running on your computer and have performed a recent full system scan.  I'll happily provide the same information on my system... or you can read about what requirements my system meets (and why they are important) in the OVPA Shared Cockpit Setup Guide.  It's not nearly as much work to secure your system as one might think.

If interested, we can talk more in PM, and then via Skype.

• Upvote 1

Dave Hodges

System Specs:  I9-13900KF, NVIDIA 4070TI, Quest 3, Multiple Displays, Lots of TERRIFIC friends, 3 cats, and a wonderfully stubborn wife.

add heavy clouds, then it's unflyable. 

that is SGSAA

@Dave: awesome initiative. 

@Simmerhead - when you say P3D v3.4 should be very good out of the box, still we need to consider this whole limited FPS bs which is implemented in sim to ensure that all textures are properly loaded but results in huge FPS drop. And that is the only reason why I suggest to set FPS to Unlimited and VSYNC to FAST to prevent tearing (that's the only option where you don't tear below your monitor refresh rate and your FPS don't get halved whenever you drop below it). 

Regarding keeping it simple - I cannot agree more, issue is none of us keeps it really simple after some time ;)

@Rockliffe

I see and feel your pain. Had the same with FSX DX10 scenery fixer at first. 

Again, if you don't have problem in other games (that is the question) you should not face problems here if you approach it in right way. Just try default P3D cfg vs default P3D cfg with above ammendments I'm suggesting. If they fail you can always send me to hell ;) 

I also noted you are using 4x SGSAA and that will KILL your FPS really when you have clouds around. So also, get rid of that. Later on you can apply some supersampling but as its huge fps killer at first we need to see what is really wrong here and I keep believing it's this damned fps cap. 

Thanks for the advice Tomasz, but anything less than 4x SGSAA looks like crap!

Howard

Yeah, always a good idea to test one's hardware.

I can't remember if I recommended this in this thread, but if you haven't already done so, I'd recommend running a CPU and GPU stress test. The issues you're reporting don't appear to point to anything to do with memory issues, but it's never a bad idea to run a Memory Diagnostics.

Always nice to rule out hardware issues as they can lead to chasing one's tail!

• Upvote 1

Dave Hodges

System Specs:  I9-13900KF, NVIDIA 4070TI, Quest 3, Multiple Displays, Lots of TERRIFIC friends, 3 cats, and a wonderfully stubborn wife.

Thanks for the advice Tomasz, but anything less than 4x SGSAA looks like crap!

That is the issue Sir. It does, but I'm running on GTX 970 which is HEAVILY overclocked and I can't run 2x SGSAA without fps drops. I use 8xQ + 8x Supersampling and it's OK really, even with NGX. Try but first remove it completely for FPS test purposes

Recommend you check out the AVSIM P3D Guide which provides information on configuring, etc.  Overclocking your system is one major reason for crashes/freezes and other issues with P3D (stuttering, blurries, etc., etc).  Whenever you get crashes, suspect a bad overclock first and go back to the Optimal Defaults in the BIOS (3.8 or 3.9GHz which is fast enough IMHO).  

Very good advice re not overclocking your CPU or GPU.

I've always found it to be not worth the extra performance you may drag out of the system at the expense of hard to diagnose crashes and potentially shorter component life.

Kind regards

I've always found it to be not worth the extra performance you may drag out of the system at the expense of hard to diagnose crashes and potentially shorter component life.

Kind regards

They said the same about switching to Windows 7 at first, same with Windows 10 and same with FSX Steam and same with...  

What I mean is - everything is for people, overclocking too. If you are reasonable and have some luck you can be successful there. Just read, read & read.

I bought a select chip of i5 3570K (pure luck) which clocked from 3,4 GHz to 4,5 GHz on 1,21v (stock is 1,25) -> not clocking it that high would be a HUGE waste, as right now it's performing really great and I don't think I'll need to change it for next 2-3 years. 

I didn't have that much luck with GPU, yet it was already factory overclocked and I just bumped clocks a bit higher without pushing voltage to the limit. 

If we are reasonable, we can achieve great results. 

I have also taken the OC of my system.  I run a stock i73930 k 3.2 Turbo to 3.8 ghz and don't have any Issues with fps or performance 

Nice set up Dave 

Thanks my friend! 

I designed and built that desk myself several years ago to support my setup at the time (three 23 inch monitors back then), but as one can see I've run out of room!  Thank goodness for my filing cabinet!

Yeah... wife doesn't think I'm nuts... she KNOWS I am!  :0

I couldn't agree more!  Turbo mode, absolutely.  Overclock?   There would have to be a very good reason for me to consider doing so.

Dave%27s%204th%20Monitor%20Added%20Back.

Anyone notice the aircraft I had booted up?

• Upvote 1

Dave Hodges

In case you haven't solved the problem with reduced frame rates when using panels on a second monitor, take a look at this thread. 

During my last reinstall I made the mistake of installing all the crap that came with my (embedded) soundcard, and the process mentioned in the thread came in this way.

Frank Olaf Sem-Jacobsen