Sign in to follow this  
martin-w

Kaby Lake - 5.0 GHz at 1.35 Volts reported.

keep in mind that 7700k 4.5 clock speed out of the box is a single thread at 4.5ghz, i imagine all of them will get all cores to 4.5ghz, it's usually getting the last core,at least with several skylake cpu's i have tested over the 4.5 to 4.6 ghz mark on all cores. i hope ryzen comes out at the same time so we can see if amd has at least a comparable product.

Here is a video from Roman , intel lifted NDA little for him

https://youtu.be/bFexMfTQeRU

Interesting video. I like the fact that Kaby detects AVX and reduces the voltage. No more overvolting with AVX.

Clearly he thinks delliding is a must for 5 GHz.

I'm fascinated what this cool delliding thing is he mentioned.

keep in mind that 7700k 4.5 clock speed out of the box is a single thread at 4.5ghz, i imagine all of them will get all cores to 4.5ghz, it's usually getting the last core,at least with several skylake cpu's i have tested over the 4.5 to 4.6 ghz mark on all cores. i hope ryzen comes out at the same time so we can see if amd has at least a comparable product.

Er... I don't think I fully understand. One core is 4.5 and the others are...? Also 4.5 or slower...?

Here is a video from Roman , intel lifted NDA little for him

Just when I get excited about 5Ghz I see on his Facebook page

he has had a Skylake up to 7Ghz (on LN I presume).

https://m.facebook.com/Der8auerEcc/

gb.

YSSY. Win 10, 6700K@4.8, Corsair H115i Cooler, RTX 4070Ti, 32GB G.Skill Trident Z F4-3200, Samsung 960 EVO M.2 256GB, ASUS Maximus VIII Ranger, Corsair HX850i 850W, Thermaltake Core X31 Case, Samsung 4K 65" TV.

keep in mind that 7700k 4.5 clock speed out of the box is a single thread at 4.5ghz

Maybe I'm misinterpreting you but 4.5 is the max 7700K turbo speed

"out of the box" and applies to all cores.

So all cores should go to 4.5 max as required by OS or app.

If not something is wrong with cpu or cooling system.

gb.

YSSY. Win 10, 6700K@4.8, Corsair H115i Cooler, RTX 4070Ti, 32GB G.Skill Trident Z F4-3200, Samsung 960 EVO M.2 256GB, ASUS Maximus VIII Ranger, Corsair HX850i 850W, Thermaltake Core X31 Case, Samsung 4K 65" TV.

gb.

Good to know. And I presume it will do so using the stock cooler? I did read those stock coolers are not as bad as they were in the (far away) past. Unless you want to OC, of course.

Good to know. And I presume it will do so using the stock cooler? I did read those stock coolers are not as bad as they were in the (far away) past. Unless you want to OC, of course.

It will probably be the same as Skylake. Namely the 7700 will come with a stock Intel cooler and the 7700K version will not come with a cooler. Intel assume if you buy a "K" overclockable version that you're an enthusiast that will buy your own.

But yes, the non K version is designed to turbo to 4.5, so the cooler supplied will obviously handle that.

It will probably be the same as Skylake. Namely the 7700 will come with a stock Intel cooler and the 7700K version will not come with a cooler. Intel assume if you buy a "K" overclockable version that you're an enthusiast that will buy your own.

But yes, the non K version is designed to turbo to 4.5, so the cooler supplied will obviously handle that.

Aaah, ok, didn't know that. Well, in that case I'll buy a good air cooler. I do want the K version just in case I'd like to OC anyway in the future but also because I keep on reading the K version has a faster clock than the none K version. Someone here posted this isn't the case but I rather be sure I am getting the fastest CPU.  :wink:

gb.

I think I might have an idea what Patriot3810 was trying to  say.

I'm not sure if this still applies to Kaby Lake, but the way I understand Intel Turbo is that it scales something like this, and this is not accurate just an example... 4.2 = 4 cores 4.3 = 3 cores 4.4 = 2 cores 4.5 = 1 core.

So yes, at the max turbo of 4.5 it wouldn't necessarily be running at that frequency on all cores.

Those with greater knowledge would have to confirm.

In addition, companies like Asus offer "multi-core enhancement" With this feature selected in the UEFI, turbo will follow Asus turbo rules not Intel turbo rules.

Aaah, ok, didn't know that. Well, in that case I'll buy a good air cooler. I do want the K version just in case I'd like to OC anyway in the future but also because I keep on reading the K version has a faster clock than the none K version. Someone here posted this isn't the case but I rather be sure I am getting the fastest CPU.  :wink:

I'd highly recommend the NH-D15S high compatability version of the Noctua NH-D15. Fantastic cooler that will handle pretty much any overclock you fancy, and very quiet. Unless you're a fan of AIO coolers of course.

I keep on reading the K version has a faster clock than the none K version. Someone here posted this isn't the case but I rather be sure I am getting the fastest CPU.  

That was me actually, and apologies, I was wrong. Don't know yet re Kaby Lake, but 6700 is 3.4 and 6700K is 4.0 [Not counting Turbo] So yes, the same will probably apply to Kaby Lake, with the non K version a bit slower.

In addition, companies like Asus offer "multi-core enhancement" With this feature selected in the UEFI, turbo will follow Asus turbo rules not Intel turbo rules.

Thanks looks like I'm wrong then and it's the Asus multi-core enhancement I am seeing?

With my Skylake/Asus MB all cores always max out simultaneously at the same 4.2 turbo speed (when MB is not otherwise overclocked).

gb.

I think I might have an idea what Patriot3810 was trying to  say.

I'm not sure if this still applies to Kaby Lake, but the way I understand Intel Turbo is that it scales something like this, and this is not accurate just an example... 4.2 = 4 cores 4.3 = 3 cores 4.4 = 2 cores 4.5 = 1 core.

So yes, at the max turbo of 4.5 it wouldn't necessarily be running at that frequency on all cores.

Those with greater knowledge would have to confirm.

I'd highly recommend the NH-D15S high compatability version of the Noctua NH-D15. Fantastic cooler that will handle pretty much any overclock you fancy, and very quiet. Unless you're a fan of AIO coolers of course.

That was me actually, and apologies, I was wrong. Don't know yet re Kaby Lake, but 6700 is 3.4 and 6700K is 4.0 [Not counting Turbo] So yes, the same will probably apply to Kaby Lake, with the non K version a bit slower.

Ok, so that means I probably will overclock to get all cores as high as possible all the time.

Noted! I have always used Noctua coolers up to now and I have no reason at all to change that!  :wink:

And ah, ok, thanks for the confirmation. 7700K it will be then!

I am waiting for the 1080ti to be released and while I am waiting I guess I might as well wait for a Z270 motherboard. Just to be up to date. Although getting a proven Z170 board might be wiser than getting a brand new Z270 one with all kinds of things that yet have to be worked out...

The boost speed of the 7700K is 4.5.  What did it take to get your 4790K to 4.5?  Does it run alright at that speed?

Greg

My 4790K runs 4.7 @ 1.33 on all cores with corsair liquid cooling.

I used intel XTU for this.

As long as you understand what you are doing and do it patiently you can get great results.

BTW, my chip is underclocked to 3.7 for everyday use but when playing games and doing CPU needy stuff it goes up to 4.7. With XTU it takes a second to switch clock speed.

Pawel Grochowski

8LRyGFr.png  

Thanks looks like I'm wrong then and it's the Asus multi-core enhancement I am seeing?

With my Skylake/Asus MB all cores always max out simultaneously at the same 4.2 turbo speed (when MB is not otherwise overclocked).

gb.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/6214/multicore-enhancement-the-debate-about-free-mhz

After some research I understand Turbo works as follows.

For Kaby Lake something like..

1 core = 4.5

2 cores = 4.5

3 cores = 4.4

4 cores = 4.3

Asus multicore, if set, would then override this and set Turbo under load to all cores 4.5.

Well, just read this review (of a motherboard) and look at those scores in various games... Going from stock to a quite whopping 5.0 GHz (wonder if I ever get there) the difference in performance is only 3 or 4 fps when fps is around 50 or 80...! That is something like 5% or so. Hardly worth the trouble and extra heat, is it...? I will get a 7700K nonetheless because of the higher default clock and maybe I might OC it so I am certain it will always run at 4.5 but it hardly is worth getting the 7700K to 5.0 GHz...!?

http://wccftech.com/review/asus-rog-maximus-ix-code-z270-lga-1151-motherboard-review/7/

Bit disappointing. Or was I expecting too much?

Yes, the OC would be more like 11% from 4.5 to 5 GHZ. But games of course favour the GPU not the CPU so not surprised. In the sim of course which is CPU biased the benefits would be greater.