Sign in to follow this  
scottb613

LJ35A - lighter workload on takeoff...

Hi Folks,

My continued work on voice control...

Just programmed this into my Voice Attack profile last night and it makes my takeoffs so much more manageable (thanks to Al's LUA Scripts)... I would think it would be a routine task the PF would hand off to the PNF during this all critical takeoff phase of flight in the RW...  My "HDG Bug Inc" and "HDG Bug Dec" are mapped to keys on my programmable keyboard for easy steers... It might not sound like much - but - it allows me to focus on "flying the plane" and I'm performing much better takeoffs now... Anything that keeps me "heads up" instead of hunting for the mouse or looking down to press keys is a big help...

Then when instructed to contact "departure" by RC4 - I simply say "departure" and it's done...

I simply say "Engage Autopilot" and Voice Attack does the following (autopilot power already applied):

• Turns on Autopilot Master
  • Presses HDG hold mode
  • Presses ALT SEL mode
  • Presses VS hold mode
Press Z key and hold for 0.1 seconds and release
Pause 1 second
Press Left Ctrl+Left Shift+1 keys and hold for 0.1 seconds and release
Pause 1 second
Press Left Ctrl+Left Shift+7 keys and hold for 0.1 seconds and release
Pause 1 second
Press Left Ctrl+Left Shift+5 keys and hold for 0.1 seconds and release
Pause 1 second
Say, 'Autopilot is engaged.'

Regards,

Scott

imageproxy.png.c7210bb70e999d98cfd3e77d7

I simply say "Engage Autopilot" and Voice Attack does the following (autopilot power already applied):

Turns on Autopilot Master

Presses HDG hold mode

Presses ALT SEL mode

Presses VS hold mode

Hi Scott,

Philosophical question on the above AP sequence:  Why VS hold instead of SPD hold?  Seems to me one advantage of SPD hold in this situation is it helps prevent busting  a speed limit -- either the US standard 250Kts below 10,000ft requirement or perhaps an ATC  clearance limit, etc. 

I tend to use SPD hold for climbs and VS hold for descents unless there is a reason not to.  VS hold on descents helps me figure the TOD point since I then know how long it will take me to 'get down'.

Thx,

Al

Hi Al,

Concur - I usually switch to SPD Hold for my 2nd stage climb - it's my preferred climb mode when I can hit 250 KIAS... Initially - I just want to get the plane stabilized in a proper climb attitude so I can take a breath and focus on navigation for a minute...  I need to get the plane settled on course or comply with any departure procedures/ATC instructions... One thing many might not be aware of is when below 10,000 feet when inside a Bravo - you are restricted to 200 KIAS... Granted - with this speed demon - you can clear the Bravo pretty quickly... Eventually - I could certainly specify both climb modes and just call the desired one... I must sound like a broken record but this Voice Attack thing has added a whole new dimension to flying for me... I'll probably try MCE at some point - as it has far more features - but I've already busted my budget on all the Christmas sales...

Regards,

Scott

Good idea with the auotpilot modes. I'm going to try to map the Lear's AP buttons to the default autopilot functions (alt hold, speed hold, etc...) in the key control gauge.

I tend to hand fly all my departures until I'm stabilized on course and climbing as it's actually less work than trying to remember the autopilot keys or using the mouse to click any buttons. Granted, in the Lear it seems to be a bit overwhelming due to the climb rate, but in slower aircraft, its actually quite fun and really builds your instrument flying skills.

7950X3D + 6900 XT + 64 GB + Linux | 4800H + RTX2060 + 32 GB + Linux
My add-ons from my FS9/FSX days

Hi Bjoern,

Sounds good - yeah - I like hand flying too but this plane is also certified for two pilot operation - so a little helping hand - well - helps...

:Tounge:

I don't have the updated docs with me - I'll get them to you tomorrow...

Regards,

Scott