Sign in to follow this  

Aerofly FS 2: the good, the bad and the ugly

Ok, I am re installing it :-)))))  But I also get 60 fps out of DCS and IL2, and never even close constant 60 fps in either FSX / P3D / XP10 or 11

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

Ok, I am re installing it :-)))))

LOL

This evening I flew over the mountains in the southwest US and well... there isn't much IPACS can do about this but those shadows in the mountains are very dark and hard. You actually see too many shadows out there. Everything looks sort of TOO detailed. I can hardly see the mountains through the shadows...

And what really is odd, though logical and obvious (and this also goes for photoreal in XP and P3D), is that the scene doesn't change AT ALL during the day... No matter from which direction the sun is shining, it looks like the exact same time of day. Only the shadow in the cockpit may tell you what time it is. Things would look so much better if there weren't such hard shadows in the textures and if the mesh was detailed enough to create shadows of its own... Of course you can tell yourself that you are flying at the exact time of day everytime but well...

Of course I am saying nothing you all don't know already. :wink: I think I am wanting the impossible here. It is either photoreal with huge limitations or generic textures with its own set of limitations... No matter what you choose, there will always be something really lacking and looking bad. It never will be like real life. Not in my lifetime anyway.

Geez... sometimes I wonder if I shouldn't look for another hobby because nowadays hardly anything really satisfies me. At least not longer than a week or so LOL :wink: Think it's time for a flying break. :hi:

Ever tried Flight Gear Jeroen ?

And it's free!!!!!!

Seasonal textures, actually some sort of procedural technique being developed, World coverage, AI, powerful flight dynamics with JSBSim.

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

I think I am wanting the impossible here. It is either photoreal with huge limitations or generic textures with its own set of limitations... No matter what you choose, there will always be something really lacking and looking bad. It never will be like real life. Not in my lifetime anyway.

Geez... sometimes I wonder if I shouldn't look for another hobby because nowadays hardly anything really satisfies me. At least not longer than a week or so LOL :wink: Think it's time for a flying break. :hi:

Actually, what we're all waiting for, and probably don't even know it, is a synthetic earth technology that doesn't rely on either landclass or photos. Just recently Outerra released an example of OSM Import of the city of Bern and the Swiss road network. An interesting technology demo.

One day technology like this will be ready for prime time in a sim, but for now, we have the choices we have.

In a few years?

Pdyexj.jpg

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

One day technology like this will be ready for prime time in a sim, but for now, we have the choices we have.

Seems that it must be cleaned up a bit first, before takeoff.   :Cuppa:

580335_532208660163419_2039953543_n.jpg?

What is status concerning flight simulation in Outerra?

• Upvote 1

Ever tried Flight Gear Jeroen ?

And it's free!!!!!!

Seasonal textures, actually some sort of procedural technique being developed, World coverage, AI, powerful flight dynamics with JSBSim.

Jose, no one sim can give you everything at least not in the immediate future. It's like this :

FS9 / FSX great weather / AI 

Xplane great mesh (this is since XP10 never had any earlier versions except tried V9 old colleague has it ), i do like the heavies in XP and do find helis very good , love the OSM idea and many amazing freewares, Well those mountains  :dance:

DCS no weather. limited world coverage only amazing fighter aircrafts and amazing helis but combat oriented only and TO ME it has the best sensation of a flight 

Il2 never tried can't say.

FG has almost everything to my knowledge but graphics wise not yet.  Has region based trees has seasons too but still not there

P3d / Aerofly don't have them.

Oh wow i need so many flight sims to make one complete flight sim

Ryzen 5 1600x - 16GB DDR4 - RTX 3050 8GB - MSI Gaming Plus

What is status concerning flight simulation in Outerra?

Chugging along. The developers are shying away it seems from going after a sim themselves, and I can't blame them. We can be feisty, very hard to please, and maybe a bit scarey, in our intensity.

That being said, the building blocks are sloooooooooowly falling into place, and there are others working very quietly and selflessly behind the scenes (and mostly out of the light) to help make it so.

So now we have three major takes. Landclass, Photoscenery, and Synthetic/fractal/procedural.

Ready.... set..... GO!

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

Yeah, I really like Outerra. But it seems that they have been progressing so slowly. Don't know when will they ever reach the status of fully fledged flight sim. 

7950X3D / 32GB / RTX4090 / HP Reverb G2 / Win11

Yeah, I really like Outerra. But it seems that they have been progressing so slowly. Don't know when will they ever reach the status of fully fledged flight sim. 

Yup.

Devons rig

Actually, what we're all waiting for, and probably don't even know it, is a synthetic earth technology that doesn't rely on either landclass or photos. Just recently Outerra released an example of OSM Import of the city of Bern and the Swiss road network. An interesting technology demo.

In a few years?

Pdyexj.jpg

Yes... The art is while we wait to enjoy what we've got. Sometimes it is a hard art to master...

Soooooo, after my rather severe depression :P concerning flightsimming I (of course) returned to my flightsim PC this evening and decided to do a flight in... well, never mind, I don't want to start a sim vs sim discussion so let me just say that within no time I found myself back in AFS2 again. I have to say that I really love how quick it is with everything, how easy you can setup a flight, how quick it loads, etc. but I also love how SMOOTH it is... Yes, it is a 'light' sim right now but boy, is it SMOOTH. My other sims don't even come near to how well AFS2 performs on my PC. It performs as good as any game out there! Which is such a relief after years of having to cope with performance and never being able to get it right. Yes, my other sims can be and look smooth too sometimes but there is smooth and SMOOTH. But as I said, the convenient map and planner, it is all very user friendly and quick to get into. Love it. I just keep on coming back to it. Specially, I might add, after giving my other sim(s) a short try again... Once you experienced real smooth performance it is hard going back to less stellar performance...

Anyway, it came to my mind that the mountains I didn't like (with those hard shadows) were in the 'yellow' parts of the southwest US so I decided to go north and planned a flight with the Baron between two of the most nothern airports, starting in the mountains and ending near the shore. I have to say I had a very enjoyable flight. No big cities to be annoyed by because of the lack of buildings :wink: and at around 8000 ft the green hills and mountains looked very, very nice. No hard shadows too. This time I didn't fly very low on purpose: why annoy yourself if you can help it. :wink: The cockpit of the Baron looked very good, as almost every plane in AFS2 looks good, apart from the reflections in the left window which were very jagged and low res, but apart from that, I really anjoyed myself! That totally smooth performance is such a relief...!

In short: I notice I keep on coming back to AFS2. It is perfect for a nice, relaxing, smooth flight. And now I am off again for another flight in that green region. :hi:

EDIT

Flying the King Air now, for the first time at dawn. Nice...! SMOOTH...!

Try flying from Palm Springs.

Devons rig

Try flying from Palm Springs.

Thanks for the tip! Will do that tomorrow! (Time is up for today. Unfortunately.) Any destination that may be nice to fly too? (I am an A to B flyer. :wink: ) (BTW Good post from you on the IPACS forum about the search option!)

Just finished my King Air flight. Hm... seriously... seems I am getting into AFS2 more and more. Nothing to worry about, nothing to take care off, nothing to add or tweak or create or install or whatever... and did I say it was SMOOTH? :wink:

Based on the youtube videos though, it seems AFS2 is smooth but with some minor stuttering every a few seconds or so. Is this your experiences too or it is completely smooth stutter-free to you?

7950X3D / 32GB / RTX4090 / HP Reverb G2 / Win11