Sign in to follow this  
HighBypass

Virtual mercy/humanitarian flights - right or wrong?

I appreciate the OP's thoughtfulness of this topic.  "Virtualizing" a RL calamity for entertainment has always bothered me (e.g. call of duty games), but OP's scenario about being virtually helpful puts this situation into a truly respectful and humane perspective.

• Upvote 1

Rod O.

i7 10700k @5.0 HT on|Asus Maximus XII Hero|G.Skill 2x16GB DDR4 4000 cas 16|evga RTX 3080 Ti FTW3 Ultra|Noctua NH-D15S|Thermaltake GF1 850W PSU|WD Black SN750 M.2 1TB SSD (x2)|Plextor M9Pe .5TB NVMe PCIe x4 SSD (MSFS dedicated)IFractal Design Focus G Case

Win 10 Pro 64|HP Reverb G2 revised VR HMD|Asus 25" IPS 2K 60Hz monitor|Saitek X52 Pro & Peddles|TIR 5 (now retired)

What you do in your virtual world has zero impact on the real world.

Or does it?

Your question is one of conscience; or rather, "what will people think of me?"

Suppose you publicize your adventure.  Record it, make a video, post it up on YouTube and spread links around forums like this one.  What happens?

Of the billions of people on this planet, most will never know of your video.  Even if your effort goes "viral" and you get 1 million views, it is an insignificant spot in the world scheme of things.

What could matter is who sees it.  If it is people you know, it could affect your relationship with them.  If it is people more or less in your "world", they can have at least an online affect on you.

So we are back to, "what will people think of me?"

If you handle the situation with respect for the tragedy and people involved, you are on the right track.  People walk long distances for "causes".  Walking doesn't create any benefit to anything except your health and perhaps the bottom line of your preferred sports shoe supplier.  But the purpose is to raise awareness of some issue, and through that effect some positive action.

So phrase and package what you do that way if/when you publish.

And of course, still be prepared for criticism.  There is always someone, somewhere, who needs something to attack and rail against, and sooner or later your videos (assuming you make a habit of this) will get some crazies attention.  But are you willing to live under a rock?  If you are not, go for it.  Just be respectful of the suffering in the real world, and phrase as an activity to raise awareness of the tragedy.  Even if you keep it to yourself, at least you should be comfortable with the fact that if anyone DID know about your activity, it would almost certainly be viewed in a positive light.

It is even possible for you to organize an event to raise money.  Get sponsorship for example.  You could have a real impact on the issue at hand.

32634443566_ac93fccbf6_t.jpg

Dan C (China Dan)
System: ASUS i7-6700K 4.0 GHz, 16GB RAM, nVidia GTX 1070 4GB @7680 x 1440 (3 x ASUS MX27AQ @2560 x 1440)
Software: Win 7 Ultimate SP1, FSX:SE

Interesting point well made, Dan. :cool:

Mark Robinson

Part-time Ferroequinologist

Author of FLIGHT: A near-future short story (ebook available on amazon)

I made the baby cry - A2A Simulations L-049 Constellation

Sky Simulations MD-11 V2.2 Pilot. The best "lite" MD-11 money can buy (well, it's not freeware!)