Sign in to follow this  
t1270

black screen

When I try to load the 747 all I get is a black screen. Has this happened to anybody else? I have registered and have tried to reinstall.

Jeff

😀

When I try to load the 747 all I get is a black screen. Has this happened to anybody else? I have registered and have tried to reinstall.

I know a lot of people suggest it, but reinstalls usually won't fix anything, so you're better off taking that time to submit a ticket (linked in my sig).

If you're using FSX:SE or P3D, make sure to install the SimConnect files:

If using FSX:SE: http://support.precisionmanuals.com/kb/a110/aircraft-loads-up-dead-no-activation-window-no-landing-gear-simconnect-issue.aspx

If using P3D: http://support.precisionmanuals.com/kb/a111/aircraft-loads-up-dead-no-activation-window-no-landing-gear-simconnect-issue.aspx

EDIT: Full names in the forum, too, please - first and last.

• Upvote 1

Kyle Rodgers

I got today a little BIG issue. Loaded PMDG 747 v3 (FSX Acceleration) to fly KPHL rwy09R to KEWR rwy04R take-off normally thanks to my new Joystick (had troubles with old ones). When I was ready to land the monitor screen became totally black and the mouse active. I had to log off windows 10 to get back to Desktop. Any ideas?

Patricio Valdes

6 minutes ago, trisho0 said:

I got today a little BIG issue. Loaded PMDG 747 v3 (FSX Acceleration) to fly KPHL rwy09R to KEWR rwy04R take-off normally thanks to my new Joystick (had troubles with old ones). When I was ready to land the monitor screen became totally black and the mouse active. I had to log off windows 10 to get back to Desktop. Any ideas?

Has this happened with any other aircraft or just the 747?

27 minutes ago, Milton Waddams said:

First, many thanks for your help. At the moment I flew again today and had OOM. It wasn't black screen as the first time. I will try with PMDG 747 v2 (legacy) and if not success I will give a try with Level-D. I will come back for results to report here.

Patricio Valdes

Patricio,

If you had an OOM, this is probably going to lead you in the same direction as the problem causing your screen to go black.

It may be important to evaluate the amount of "stuff" you are asking your sim to put into memory.  Our products are really not significant memory users, but if you are jamming a huge amount of textures/scenery/autogen/traffic into the simulator- you are going to run out of memory.  Since the airplane is what you are most directly interacting with in the simulator, you will naturally tend to find the OOM problems manifesting in the airplane first.

I hope that helps!

• Upvote 3

Robert S. Randazzo coolcap.gif

PLEASE NOTE THAT PMDG HAS DEPARTED AVSIM

You can find us at:  http://forum.pmdg.com

22 hours ago, rsrandazzo said:

I hope that helps!

Hi rsrandazzo, I appreciate your help so much. Any idea for me where to start? I guess the OOM can be from FSX scenery settings, some parameters set too high?

Patricio Valdes

22 hours ago, Milton Waddams said:

Loaded before the PMDG 747 v3 and got OOM. Today I loaded the 747 v2 (legacy) and was be able to land at night and going to Gate and it started beep sound telling me an OOM is near. I was trying to get the Gate and it was dark to me and the beep sound continued. I switched Time from night to day time and the beep sound (OOM) disappeared. The OOM from v3 was at day time. I think I got black screen when I was trying to land at night, I remember that. So, I think night textures demands more memory than day time textures. But even though, maybe the plane 747 v3 is more sophisticate than v2 and the reason of memory issues. When I installed the DD New Airports I selected Lite version to isolate memory issues but still. I want to give a try to reduce FSX scenery settings but not sure where to start. I will do some research on that.

Patricio Valdes

22 hours ago, rsrandazzo said:

but if you are jamming a huge amount of textures/scenery/autogen/traffic into the simulator

This is my actual scenery settings I had for several months and yes I had OOM many times with PMDG 777 and 747 v3. The 747 v2 (legacy) gave me OOM but flyable. I guess you are referring on the scenery settings if so here is my screenshot about. From Traffic settings none higher than 10% and other parts none (zero). I don't have any payware scenery 4096 dpi. All I have is Lite 2048 dpi or less.

If I reduce my scenery settings example: Mesh Resolution which is 2m to make it lower parts of my scenery disappears. All I know if Water Effects is higher than low 2x it will consume more memory. My PC is Alienware R6 4.4GHz 4 Core video Nvidia Geforce GTX 1080 Ti I guess very powerful to handle the sim.

FSXScenttings.jpg

Patricio Valdes

9 minutes ago, trisho0 said:

This is the actual scenery settings I had for several months and yes I had OOM many times with PMDG 777 and 747 v3. The 747 v2 (legacy) gives me OOM but flyable. I guess you are referring on the scenery settings if so here is my screenshot about. From Traffic settings none higher than 10% and other parts none (zero).

This could be it, but it also depends on what you have installed. You can run those settings with ZERO add on scenery, but if you have a lot of add on scenery, you will need to either only activate the two airports you're flying from/to, or lower your settings. It's all a balancing act with FSX. Please have a look at the section about OOMs in the Intro.

• Upvote 1

Kyle Rodgers

12 minutes ago, scandinavian13 said:

you will need to either only activate the two airports you're flying from/to

Hello scandinavian13, Glad to hear you here and thanks a lot for helping me on this. Regarding on "only activate the 2 airports" in flight do you mean for every Departure/Arrival Is a good idea to load FSX with all scenery deactivated and only activated 2 airports? I thought, FSX loads the scenery info based from scenery.cfg file and it loads in memory just the selected scenery to fly. I have the FS2004 and I never had OOM with PMDG 747, Level-D, iFly etc. I know the textures are different but still.

I can load FSX the way as you say and I think OOM will be resolved but activating just 2 airports it sounds weird to me. But if I have to then I go for good. I wish to find a patch to emulate FSX working as 64bit (lol).

• Upvote 1

Patricio Valdes

1 minute ago, trisho0 said:

Hello scandinavian13, Glad to hear you here and thanks a lot for helping me on this. Regarding on "only activate the 2 airports" in flight do you mean for every Departure/Arrival Is a good idea to load FSX with all scenery deactivated and only activated 2 airports? I thought, FSX loads the scenery info based from scenery.cfg file and it loads in memory just the selected scenery to fly. I have the FS2004 and I never had OOM with PMDG 747, Level-D, iFly etc. I know the textures are different but still.

I can load FSX the way as you say and I think OOM will be resolved but activating just 2 airports it sounds weird to me. But if I have to then I go for good. I wish to find a patch to emulate FSX working as 64bit (lol).

By default, if you've installed scenery into the sim, it will load ALL of it. You can use programs like SceneryConfigTool to deactivate all airports you won't be using to save some memory. As soon as you fly within range of one of those other airports, it'll load it, and it never really unloads it after you pass over it.

For example, if you fly from Washington DC to Frankfurt and pass by London and have some huge London scenery? That gets loaded, even though you never really see it, and it never really gets unloaded. Likely a guaranteed OOM.

As I wrote before, please read the Intro manual discussion of the topic. I really don't want to type all of that here, when you can just read what's already written there.

Kyle Rodgers

38 minutes ago, scandinavian13 said:

For example, if you fly from Washington DC to Frankfurt and pass by London and have some huge London scenery? That gets loaded, even though you never really see it, and it never really gets unloaded. Likely a guaranteed OOM.

Oops! that cleared my mind and you are totally right! But usually I go short haul flight, let's say around 40nm to 200nm. So in that range I might have other heavy airport as you say and also OOM. Interesting that FSX really is a weak sim not using my 64Giga RAM but 4096

48 minutes ago, scandinavian13 said:

SceneryConfigTool

42 minutes ago, scandinavian13 said:

As I wrote before, please read the Intro manual discussion of the topic.

Please, can you give me that link? Where to get the scenery tool? Many thanks and Merry Christmas

Patricio Valdes

13 minutes ago, trisho0 said:

Please, can you give me that link?

Start > All Programs > PMDG Simulations > 747 > Intro Manual

...or:

Find it in the Operations Center

...or:

[Root Sim Folder] > PMDG > 747 > Documents (or similar names - this is all off of memory)

14 minutes ago, trisho0 said:

Where to get the scenery tool?

Google it. It's not our tool, and I don't want to recommend a specific one. I simply provided that one as an example.

Not to be gruff, but in order for all of this to make sense, and work well, you should get slightly more accustomed to helping yourself a little more. Getting help is great, but a balance must be struck. Having people walk you through everything step by step is going to take forever to get stuff done. Have a look around. Read some of the info we put out there. If someone mentions something, you may want to research it a little on your own. It speeds up the process, and will usually help you understand things better to help us help you.

Example:

Had you looked around on your computer for the Intro Manual, you'd already have all the information you'd need on OOMs (and a number of other things). Instead, you had to wait for me to respond to point you to it. Same goes for the SceneryConfigTool. You could've already downloaded (and even started using) it if you took a few seconds to search it online.

I know this all may come across as harsh, but do keep in mind that this is an aviation forum. Pilots aren't really the types of people who should be relying too much on those around them. Strike the balance of being open to help, while also being a little self-sufficient to be sure you're getting the necessary things done.

• Upvote 1

Kyle Rodgers

14 minutes ago, scandinavian13 said:

you should get slightly more accustomed to helping yourself a little more.

I do research on the web indeed, but I don't see why I don't ask from AVSIM to get more help. My initial question was to mention my FSX OOM experience with PMDG. I thought others in AVSIM could give me some help so I can get a better idea on where to go or what to try. I already got the Scenery tool now but is about the same as in FSX. Deactivating/Activating scenery from Scenery Tool or from FSX scenery library is the same. I don't need such Scenery Tool unless if I want to arrange layers to change scenery priorities. Scenery Tool is great but not helping me so far. Thanks for your advice as well.

Patricio Valdes