Sign in to follow this  
ginoc1

Controller Position on Flight Startup?

Just to be sure nothing was polluting my install or if I had anything latent with the previous model, I forced XP11 Beta 10 to update my C172SP.  I started a new flight, picked the Cessna, an airport, set the weather and time and let it all load.  I was sitting on the tarmac, engines off and the parking brake engaged.  Yes, the P Brake was already engaged.  I too am stumped my mine is engaged and many others' are not.

I think we're talking past each other. :smile:  

In my posts above, I'm talking about starting a new flight on the runway with the engines running, not engines off. That's the setup where the plane loads for me with brakes off. If you're doing a cold start, the sim is probably handling it differently.

Also, I don't think it's related to saving the prior panel status. I always end a flight with brakes on. Not just the "B" key but hitting the "V" key (maximum brakes, which is what X-Plane uses for parking brake with keyboard input). That's required for ending a flight assignment in FSEconomy so I know I'm hitting it every time before exiting the sim.

That's odd, because I've had the exact opposite experience in both v10 and v11.  My aircraft always default to brakes on, and not just general aviation.  Even the big airliners and military jets have brakes on by default.  Same goes for the few Carenado aircraft I have installed.  This happens whether I have my CH yoke plugged in or not.  Even if I'm using mouse/keyboard for a quick test, brakes default to on.

Cold start, or hot start with engines already running when the plane loads? You can set it either way, and it's the latter situation where I'm seeing brakes off when the plane loads.

X-Plane and Microsoft Flight Simulator on Windows 10 
i7 6700 4.0 GHz, 32 GB RAM, GTX 1660 ti, 1920x1200 monitor

Cold start, or hot start with engines already running when the plane loads? You can set it either way, and it's the latter situation where I'm seeing brakes off when the plane loads.

Cold start, hot start, it doesn't matter.  Brakes have always defaulted to on for me.  I just assumed this was normal behavior.

Mine on all arircraft, always default to off. Wheather I start cold or have engine running when i start, the brakes are always off.

I always exercise all my controls before I start a flight, even though the trim wheel is the only one that I must wake up before starting. I've always felt it was better to exercise the controls bfore taking off, thats what you do in a real plane anway, to make sure all controls are working right.

Just for the sake of reinforcing my position in this debate, I fired up X-Plane really quick (ensuring the aircraft loaded with engines running) to check on whether the parking brake was engaged.  Once the flight started up, the engine was running at idle (still a bit high, but not enough to cause the aircraft to windvane), but the parking brake was engaged.  I tested the brakes by disengaging and the aircraft still sat still, I re-engaged the parking brake (even through the keyboard command), and that worked fine.

So on my system, the parking brake is engaged at cold and dark, as well as during a hot start.

Engage, research, inform and make your posts count! -Jim Morvay

Origin EON-17SLX - Under the hood: Intel Core i7 7700K at 4.2GHz (Base) 4.6GHz (overclock), nVidia GeForce GTX-1080 Pascal w/8gb vram, 32gb (2x16) Crucial 2400mhz RAM, 3840 x 2160 17.3" IPS w/G-SYNC, Samsung 950 EVO 256GB PCIe m.2 SSD (Primary), Samsung 850 EVO 500gb M.2 (Sim Drive), MS Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit

That's odd, because I've had the exact opposite experience in both v10 and v11.  My aircraft always default to brakes on, and not just general aviation.  Even the big airliners and military jets have brakes on by default.  Same goes for the few Carenado aircraft I have installed.  This happens whether I have my CH yoke plugged in or not.  Even if I'm using mouse/keyboard for a quick test, brakes default to on.

Same here, for as long as I can remember, when I start with engine running, the parking brakes are on. Any aircraft.

So on my system, the parking brake is engaged at cold and dark, as well as during a hot start.

Confirmed here.