Sign in to follow this  
GCBraun

It looks great, but what about the Aircraft?

So, I´ve bought aerofly and found it very impressive but it remains a showcase to me at the moment.

I know that some scenery developers like ORBX declared that they will release something for this simulator soon. Nevertheless, I could never use Aerofly in a serious fashion with default aircraft. High quality aircraft are for me the most important on a simulator and I could live even without a good weather addon or realistic scenery.

Did any top-tier delevoper expressed any desire or intention to develop for Aerofly as of now?

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

All I ever say is good things come to those who wait........

I would add though, that the systems you see being introduced in the default aircraft, both those now available and those upcoming, are directly laying the groundwork for aircraft that will come after. Even now, there are many many systems that are there but essentially dormant, in readiness for further development and just perhaps, those hoped-for third parties.

Jcomm should know this, as he's one of those known to have taken a peek, "Under the hood". :happy:

• Upvote 1

I would put money on some developers going for it eventually, because everyone knows that with FSX and P3D both being an FPS/OOM nightmare the moment you add some fancy stuff to it, it's obvious something has to change, and the company which makes the best platform to implement that change will be onto a winner (notwithstanding X-Plane, DTG and the proposed 64 bit version of P3D). But you have to remember that AeroFly 2 is (technically at least) still an early access beta at the moment, so any SDK would yet need to be finalised in order for a commercial developer to greenlight a serious commitment to development.

Nevertheless, with some fancy sceneries guaranteed to be coming to it (including a new one arriving in the next week or so by the looks of things), and quite a few quality freeware aeroplanes (and I mean real good quality) having been made for Aerofly's predecessor to demonstrate that the talent is out there and willing to do stuff for that platform, it's fairly obvious that there will be money to be made in developing a high quality aeroplane for it.

What it really needs in order to tip the scales for most developers, is the SDK infrastructure for adding things like ATC, AI aeroplanes and realtime weather (and a clear indication of what the cost margins are for third party stuff particularly bearing in mind that it uses Steam). Nobody who is seriously into flight as a reasonably realistic simulation of either VFR or IFR flight is going to be happy to whizz around with no ATC control or other aeroplanes in sight, and they probably want real metars too.

I daresay the developers will be aware of that and working toward it, since if it gets those things in place and in doing so, tempts some such as PMDG or A2A or whoever to have a crack at doing an aeroplane for it, then there'd be no stopping the floodgate.

But that is as you say, their priority if they want it to succeed; until we have proper ATC clearances and AI to see and avoid, flying an airliner in AeroFly 2 is not going to attract a great many 'serious' airliner simmers, no matter how pretty or fluid it is, and whether we like GA VFR craft or big jetliners, it is the development of serious IFR aircraft for simulators which has traditionally been the thing to raise the bar as far as payware development goes.

• Upvote 2

I also think that Aerofly is forming its own unique community, both on their own site and on Steam, and that that VR-heavy community might have its own growth pattern not necessarily directly copying that of our familiar favorites. For one, I think they (Ipacs) have a strong commitment for not allowing their sim development to become captive to any particular audience segment.

I'm hoping that means they do all they can to avoid the sim becoming an inaccessible niche item.

I still have some hope on AEFS2... Time will tell...

Some sort of integration with VATSIM/IVAO would be also lovely. Easier to implement than ATC/Traffic systems I would guess.

5 hours ago, pipeorgan said:

And pilotedge I hope!

Hmmmmm....... We'll see.

If study level 3rd party aircraft and custom airport scenery arrive, I will be very happy......