Sign in to follow this  
rsrandazzo

[13MAR17] [UPDATED] Faults when running the Operation Center and/or the OC based Product Updaters AND WHAT TO DO...

10 minutes ago, Boomer said:

Where is the download stored so I can delete it?

It isn't 'stored' - it simply overwrites the file in place. The next iteration will download to a temp location, check a hash of a file to verify integrity, and then overwrite if it's valid.

Grab the original installer and run it, selecting repair. (If that doesn't work, uninstall and run the installer again.)

Kyle Rodgers

10 hours ago, scandinavian13 said:

To be clear, you've absolutely 100% verified that your anti-virus program has excepted (is not actively scanning) the operations center? Have you tried temporarily disabling your AV software while you run the updater?

It's failing at a line where it checks your registry. This happens only when you're not running as an admin (which is somewhat impossible, as I've forced the program to request them), or something is preventing it from doing so (AV programs).

I've tried both, added an exception and disabled the program but I still get the error message. I've also tried to run the program as admin but I get the same result.

Former MSFS Alpha Tester, current member of the MSFS Stream Team.

13 hours ago, scandinavian13 said:

It isn't 'stored' - it simply overwrites the file in place. The next iteration will download to a temp location, check a hash of a file to verify integrity, and then overwrite if it's valid.

Grab the original installer and run it, selecting repair. (If that doesn't work, uninstall and run the installer again.)

When I go to update OC says "download complete" right away so I suspect its not re downloading a fresh copy, can I not force the OC to download a fresh copy of the update?

I have tried everything you and others have mentioned.  Same black gauges.

Kyle I know you and others are trying your best but please let me be frank at this point:  I am weary of being in this "corner" Rob speaks of.  I cannot see how a ticket could resolve anything at this point.

I therefore ask this of PMDG, on behalf of myself and others, if feasible and not cost prohibitive, please update the base package download to the latest version.  Because thats the only way I will get this update.

spacer.png

6 hours ago, Boomer said:

I cannot see how a ticket could resolve anything at this point.

However, if nothing else works maybe you should try this.  Troubleshooting goes much better when you are working one on one with the support guys.

Dan Downs KCRP

9 hours ago, Boomer said:

Kyle I know you and others are trying your best but please let me be frank at this point:  I am weary of being in this "corner" Rob speaks of.  I cannot see how a ticket could resolve anything at this point.

Chris,

While I understand that this is likely incredibly frustrating, I think people need to keep this in perspective, and I think people have completely lost their perspective here:

We have a long history of aircraft add-ons for a handful of sims. We have little to no experience creating download managers and micro-updaters.
(Yes, I realize the OC downloads stuff and has some background features surrounding that, but it's actually very different.)

I get that people have big expectations of us given our history of higher quality, but I think people need to keep all of this in the larger picture of the fact that this is new functionality for us. While it's nice to see that people hold us in such high regards, and expect so much, it's also somewhat disheartening to have people react so negatively when something so new - both in concept and in its actual existence - doesn't work perfectly for everyone. As one of the primary coders of the app, this is disheartening. I don't like it, and I want to fix it...and we are. We're adding in a few features - as I specifically referenced in my last response to you (downloading to a temp location, checking a hash to ensure the download wasn't corrupted in transit, and so on) - to ensure that this is a more robust solution. All the same, I must also add in the perspective that it is impossible for us to code around all limitations on all computers (i.e. anti-virus programs are still going to stomp on your parade if you don't keep them in check).

This doesn't happen overnight. It doesn't happen immediately. And a few trip-ups out of the gate doesn't mean that the aforementioned "corner" should be viewed with doom and gloom.

Frustrating, I know. All the same, let's keep this in a bit of perspective.

9 hours ago, Boomer said:

I therefore ask this of PMDG, on behalf of myself and others, if feasible and not cost prohibitive, please update the base package download to the latest version.  Because thats the only way I will get this update.

The main installer will eventually be updated once the updates calm down.

Kyle Rodgers

I'll try to update after re-installing the Operations Center (maybe I should re-install the 747 as well?). 

Is there any way to backup the installed liveries?

Former MSFS Alpha Tester, current member of the MSFS Stream Team.

Well, Kyle, brother, don't be disheartened.

I will keep the faith.

spacer.png

1 hour ago, simtom said:

Is there any way to backup the installed liveries?

They're actually backed up in a different location. When you click install, it'll actually install them off of a local backup nearly instantly, though you'll need to do that for each livery that you have installed (provided it's one in the OC and not a 3rd party).

1 hour ago, Boomer said:

Well, Kyle, brother, don't be disheartened.

I will keep the faith.

Much appreciated! We'll get there.

Kyle Rodgers

Team

Any suggestions on where to look.. AV is disabled and my update just closes whilst download the PMDG_747QOTSII.dll 

It's happened about 4 times. Running the OC as an admin and also regularly. I would submit a ticket but the password reset email never arrived.

Thanks.

Cheers,

John Tavendale
Textures by Tavers - https://www.facebook.com/texturesbytavers

2 hours ago, John_Tavendale said:

Disregard above. Seems my potato ADSL isn't good enough. Tethered my phone and was able to download the updates.

That's...unexpected. Glad to hear that though!

Kyle Rodgers

I am almost positive that my updating issue is caused by a corrupt download but cannot figure how to force a new fresh download.

spacer.png

3 hours ago, Boomer said:

I am almost positive that my updating issue is caused by a corrupt download but cannot figure how to force a new fresh download.

Uninstall with control panel, install using the downloaded installer you already have or can obtain from your retail account.  Run OC and update OC if notified, then repair liveries. Now update B744.

Dan Downs KCRP

33 minutes ago, downscc said:

Uninstall with control panel, install using the downloaded installer you already have or can obtain from your retail account.  Run OC and update OC if notified, then repair liveries. Now update B744.

Oh Im way ahead of that brother.

I seek a fresh copy of the download on the theory that mine is corrupt.

spacer.png

5 minutes ago, Boomer said:

Oh Im way ahead of that brother.

I seek a fresh copy of the download on the theory that mine is corrupt.

Not following here, Chris...

The download from your PMDG store account won't have any of the issues that you might get from the downloader, given the different method of delivery. The corruption is being caused by a slow/interfered-with connection to our servers causing the individual files to be corrupted. If you don't allow the OC to update your 747, you'll be fine. I'd suggest keeping a copy of your downloaded installer, however, if you want to keep trying the updater.

• Upvote 1

Kyle Rodgers