rsrandazzo

[13MAR17] [UPDATED] Faults when running the Operation Center and/or the OC based Product Updaters AND WHAT TO DO...

Recommended Posts

Captains,

With the release of the PMDG 747-400 Queen of the Skies II we have put a product to market that uses more modern development tools than our previous product lines.  This, plus the changes in operating systems that have gone on during the previous couple of years have caused a bit of confusion for some users who can't seem to get the Operations Center to run, or the newly implemented internal product updaters for the 747 product line.

The solution for the vast majority of users has been to follow through with these steps:

PROBLEM:  OPERATIONS CENTER WILL NOT RUN

  1. Navigate to <programs x86>/PMDG Operations Center
  2. Delete everything in the directory EXCEPT OpsCenterUpdater.exe
  3. Run OpsCenterUpdater.exe
  4. Run the Operations Center normally.

You should now be running the most current version of the PMDG Operations Center.

PROBLEM: USER RUNS 747 PRODUCT UPDATER AND GETS AN ERROR REPORTING MSCVRT140.DLL AS THE FAILURE POINT:

  1. Go to this page https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/download/details.aspx?id=48145
  2. Click DOWNLOAD
  3. CHOOSE THE x86 VERSION WHEN OFFERED.  (It doesn't matter that you have an x64 operating system, the application you need to run is not an x64 application, so you need the x86 run-time)
  4. Run the Microsoft installer downloaded in the previous step.
  5. OPTIONAL: If you are on an x64 version of Windows and you like to keep things neat and clean, go back and download the x64 runtime and install that too.  It will save you headaches later with x64 applications.
  6. Run the Operations Center normally and try the updater again.

As we have worked with customers via support we have found that following through these two processes has cured nearly all of the problems that have been reported.  This is simply an offshoot of confusion between operating systems and applications that rely upon newer runtimes than some users have installed.  (The 747 SHOULD be installing the runtimes...  We are investigating that avenue still...)

One other random item for you:

PROBLEM: USER UPDATES FSX, THEN UDPATES FSX:SE (OR FSX:SE AND THEN FSX) AND ONLY SEE A QUICK FLASH OF THE UPDATER WHEN UPDATING THE SECOND PLATFORM:

This is normal.  The updater usually does a very good job of checking to see if you have both platforms installed and will attempt to do them simultaneously.  The Operations Center isn't smart enough to pick up on the fact that both platforms were updated until it is exited and re-run.  Stay tuned for a long-term fix for that....

[ADDED 14MAR17 BELOW THIS POINT]

PROBLEM: USER COMPLETES UPDATE BUT FINDS 747 WILL NOT RUN. (BLANK GAUGES, ETC):

We have spent the better part of today researching this topic with the help of a few users.  We are VERY certain that the majority of users who report this problem are experiencing the results of aggressive anti-virus protection on their local machine.  The A/V software is seeing the Operations Center attempt to download an EXE file, and then a number of other files (including some dlls) and the AV software is deciding "oooooh no you don't."

In other words, your A/V software is doing what it was designed to do- but it is catching something you want done...  A classic false-positive.

While we research how to interact more gracefully with aggressive AV software- you can solve this problem by COMPLETELY disabling your AV software, THEN running the Operations Center and product update process.

We have found that in nearly all cases we have worked with- correctly white listing the Operations Center worked most of the time, but disabling the A/V temporarily while conducting the update works even more effectively.

We are working on some changes to the update methodology that should eliminate this problem at some point in the future... (It is a complex issue...)

.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Hi Robert,

 

Thanks for the new info - I am at work at the moment and cannot test out any of this, however as per my previous post, this is the error I get:

"

I get the following error - after updating the OC, I try to start the update and then it opens the DOS window and I get a message saying:  "The application was unable to start correctly (0xc000007b).   Click OK to close the application."   I do notice that the header in that window says "PMDG_Updater_744_XSE.exe - application error".   Does this try to update the SE version?   I have the MS edition and I don't run it concurrently with SE"

Will any of this cure my issue?   I didn't see it mentioned specifically and I know I will physically have to go and try it, but will the above assist me?

Regards

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

William,

This thread is specific to the errors listed, but it won't do any harm to try.  You are making inaccurate assumptions about the _XSE naming extension.  XSE is our own internal language to describe a unified FSX/FSX-SE environment.

I removed your quote of my very lengthy post in order to save digital ink.  :biggrin:

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, rsrandazzo said:

William,

This thread is specific to the errors listed, but it won't do any harm to try.  You are making inaccurate assumptions about the _XSE naming extension.  XSE is our own internal language to describe a unified FSX/FSX-SE environment.

I removed your quote of my very lengthy post in order to save digital ink.  :biggrin:

 

Thanks Robert, I tried option one, that didn't work.   I admit it - I sneaked out of the office under the guise of getting myself some breakfast and then just happen to go past my house in the process lol.   I tried the installation of the runtime 2015 package and actually got an installation error in respect of both the x86 and x64 packages.   I will need to investigate it more this evening.

Regards 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, rsrandazzo said:

PROBLEM: USER UPDATES FSX, THEN UDPATES FSX:SE (OR FSX:SE AND THEN FSX) AND ONLY SEE A QUICK FLASH OF THE UPDATER WHEN UPDATING THE SECOND PLATFORM:

This is normal.  The updater usually does a very good job of checking to see if you have both platforms installed and will attempt to do them simultaneously.  The Operations Center isn't smart enough to pick up on the fact that both platforms were updated until it is exited and re-run.  Stay tuned for a long-term fix for that....

I get that.... but I am not running FSX:SE.... only FSX.... one installation..... and its not updating at all.... Getting the flash of the update window, and then gone... Regardless of what I did, uninstalled, deleted, reinstalled.... nada...... 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I had to unregister my 747 before the update and then reactivate the updated version.  Failing to do so gave me all black screens and dead switches after the update (un activated).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, Boomer said:

I had to unregister my 747 before the update and then reactivate the updated version.  Failing to do so gave me all black screens and dead switches after the update (un activated).

Chris,

This is not the proper procedure and was merely coincidental. This has nothing to do with activation status. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've just run the updater and I now have black screens and dead switches too! Any help would be appreciated.

P3D and Win10

Edited by SuperG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, SuperG said:

 

I've just run the updater and I now have black screens and dead switches too!

 

This means your AV program or internet connection got in the way and corrupted your download.

Repair and try again (after making sure you're running the OC as an admin, and have told your AV program to leave the OC alone).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi Kyle, thanks I submitted a ticket and re-installed the 744 and it's done the trick all is well again. I will ensure I run the OC as admin and exclude from my antivirus in future though

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Matthew,

We are finding right now that the VAST majority of users who have the experience you had- were mishandled by their anti-virus software.

We are working to sort out how best to improve the update process so that we can detect-and-warn you, or circumvent the problem entirely.

Obviously it is not a simple solution- since there are so many anti-virus platforms and so many different methods that are used to protect the user's machine.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Gents,

Just a quick update to let you know that we are making very solid headway toward improving the product updating experience.  We are working on improved distribution speed to areas outside of the US/Europe, and we believe we will be rolling out an update to the Operations Center and the product updaters that will dramatically improve stability for users.

We have not yet made progress on the anti-virus corruption issue, but we will...

(See? I wasn't kidding when i said we were working on this stuff around the clock...)

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am switching to Windows 10 today - see if that makes a difference especially with the Runtime issues.

Regards

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, rsrandazzo said:

Werner,

What were you running prior to this?

 

Windows 7 Professional edition x64.

Regards

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, rsrandazzo said:

Gents,

Just a quick update to let you know that we are making very solid headway toward improving the product updating experience.  We are working on improved distribution speed to areas outside of the US/Europe, and we believe we will be rolling out an update to the Operations Center and the product updaters that will dramatically improve stability for users.

We have not yet made progress on the anti-virus corruption issue, but we will...

(See? I wasn't kidding when i said we were working on this stuff around the clock...)

 

Thanks PMDG team for this effort. I, in New Zealand, experienced a fairly slow download of the first update, but a pretty speedy one of the second update. You guys are no doubt working on all sorts around the clock and that is pretty awesome customer service. All hail PMDG!! :cool:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, rsrandazzo said:

We have not yet made progress on the anti-virus corruption issue, but we will...

(See? I wasn't kidding when i said we were working on this stuff around the clock...)

 

I know you all want to provide the end user with the most seamless process as possible when updating and I don't know if I am alone in this thinking but... At some point doesn't the end user and their individual choice of a/v software bear some responsibility on their part. PMDG has now a reliable and efficient manner to update the product. If the end users a/v is that aggressive I see you have provided them a viable workaround, disable the a/v temporarily to update or white list the OC. The end user should be made in my opinion to either do that or find a better a/v program. I myself researched and found a very good a/v program that gives me no issues with P3D, PMDG or any other flight sim software (ESET NOD32). I hate that you guys are having to work on this issue instead of focusing on further 747 updates and the 777/NGX updates. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Eric,

You won't get an argument from me. 

Fact is that 20 years ago, everyone needed third party A/V software.  Now?  Not so much, really.

But the A/V process has become embedded into our user-psyche as a must-have and we completely overlook the tools fact that tools made by the OS manufacturers, and modern entities like malwarebytes provide far more protection than nearly all users need.

It took Ryan a few years to convince me to back away from the overly aggressive A/V solution that I had clung to for years.  Now and then my A/V software would gloriously present me with a trophy kill and gave me the satisfaction of knowing I was doing right by the universe...  In fact most of the trophy kills were false positives harming actual software.  :dry:

But we want to help all customers- so we are looking at some modifications that may improve life for those who continue to cling to the 90s.  :gaul:

 

 

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/15/2017 at 0:08 AM, B777ER said:

I know you all want to provide the end user with the most seamless process as possible when updating and I don't know if I am alone in this thinking but... At some point doesn't the end user and their individual choice of a/v software bear some responsibility on their part. PMDG has now a reliable and efficient manner to update the product. If the end users a/v is that aggressive I see you have provided them a viable workaround, disable the a/v temporarily to update or white list the OC. The end user should be made in my opinion to either do that or find a better a/v program. I myself researched and found a very good a/v program that gives me no issues with P3D, PMDG or any other flight sim software (ESET NOD32). I hate that you guys are having to work on this issue instead of focusing on further 747 updates and the 777/NGX updates. 

I used NOD32 and have had issues.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hello,

I have the 747 installed on two computers, a desktop and a laptop. I updated the 747 without any issues on my desktop but on my laptop I can't get it updated. 

I get the following error message while updating the 747: PMDG_Updater_744_XSE.exe has stopped working (the cmd window does open).

I searched for this problem in this thread but I can't find anything related. I'm not sure what's happening here.

Kind regards,
Tomas

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, simtom said:

I searched for this problem in this thread but I can't find anything related.

This thread has very specific instructions that cover any problem, for example making sure the AV software is turned OFF.  You didn't mention if you tried that or are simply not using any on your laptop. Are laptop and desktop both either Win7 or Win10?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, downscc said:

This thread has very specific instructions that cover any problem, for example making sure the AV software is turned OFF.  You didn't mention if you tried that or are simply not using any on your laptop. Are laptop and desktop both either Win7 or Win10?

On my laptop I'm using Windows Defender and on my desktop I'm using a dedicated A/V program (avast). Both are running Windows 10.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Defender shouldn't be a problem, maybe something else is going on.  Perhaps your ISP?  Did you try several times to install the update (to include downloading files)?

A good place to start is turning off Defender if for no other reason than to rule it out.  Something is halting the execution of the cmd sequence.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, downscc said:

Defender shouldn't be a problem, maybe something else is going on.  Perhaps your ISP?  Did you try several times to install the update (to include downloading files)?

A good place to start is turning off Defender if for no other reason than to rule it out.  Something is halting the execution of the cmd sequence.

 

I don't think it has to do with my ISP, since it's the same for my desktop. I've included a screenshot which shows the cmd as well as the error message (it's in Dutch).

BzgUMnF.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, simtom said:

I don't think it has to do with my ISP, since it's the same for my desktop. I've included a screenshot which shows the cmd as well as the error message (it's in Dutch).

Looks like it's not being run as an admin, or something is interfering with it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now