Sign in to follow this  
ThreeGreens

PC Name as Address

Hi,WIN 10 x 2

Prepar3d

In the Server PC I have the name for the address in the xml using IPv4 = ABC123

On the client I can connect if I use the Ip address of the server pc but If I use the name {ABC123) it doesnt connect.

As the router occasionally issues new ip addressees I would like to use the PC name.

I can get programs like PLANG to connect using the PC name using the Simconnect protocol but ActiveSky and the AITraffic.exe will not connect.

Anybody had this problem?

Thanks

Scott Stephens

Boeing777_Banner_pilot.jpg

Scott Stephens

1 hour ago, ThreeGreens said:

Hi,WIN 10 x 2

Prepar3d

In the Server PC I have the name for the address in the xml using IPv4 = ABC123

On the client I can connect if I use the Ip address of the server pc but If I use the name {ABC123) it doesnt connect.

As the router occasionally issues new ip addressees I would like to use the PC name.

I can get programs like PLANG to connect using the PC name using the Simconnect protocol but ActiveSky and the AITraffic.exe will not connect.

Anybody had this problem?

Thanks

Scott Stephens

You should first configure your Server PC  network IP address. don't use DHCP.  here some guide.  

Asus Rampage VI Extreme Encore(water Cooled) EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 Hybrid, 64 DD4 @ 2800 2 x 2x M.2 in raid 0.

If I understand you correctly, you might be confusing how some home/small business routers use a device name instead of an IP Address  This will work for Port Forwarding in your Router, but when making assignments in software you'll need to us the local (internal) IP address of he other computer (if networking software between two PCs is your goal).

Could you tell us what you're trying to do?  It's just a lot easier to give you advice if we know exactly what you were trying to accomplish.

Dave Hodges

System Specs:  I9-13900KF, NVIDIA 4070TI, Quest 3, Multiple Displays, Lots of TERRIFIC friends, 3 cats, and a wonderfully stubborn wife.

Using a static IP is what you want.  Using the name requires you to run a DNS server, it takes a bit of dedication to do that.  I do, but then again, I'm a bit crazy.

sig01.png

Thanks for the help and the speedy responses.

Let me be a little clearer...

Each of my PCs in my network has a name - that when I connect via network and share drives I connect to

//ABC123/Prepar3d/uitls for example

My P3D runs on the PC named ABC123 ip address 192.1.1.2

Server Simconnect.xml

<Disabled>False</Disabled>
    <Protocol>IPv4</Protocol>
    <Scope>global</Scope>
    <Address>ABC123</Address>
    <MaxClients>64</MaxClients>
    <Port>4506</Port>
    <MaxRecvSize>4096</MaxRecvSize>

This is my current working .xml using the pc name as the address.

The PC IP address is 192.1.1.2

Client simconnect.cfg

This is my current client .cfg = this works and connects

[SimConnect]
Protocol=IPv4
Address=192.1.1.2
Port=4506
MaxReceiveSize=4096
DisableNagle=0

If I use the one below it does not work

[SimConnect]
Protocol=IPv4
Address=ABC123
Port=4506
MaxReceiveSize=4096
DisableNagle=0

I know I could go with the static IP for my P3D pc but I am reluctant to do that at this time.  I just assumed that If I could use the pc name in the server config I could use it in the client config.  As the pc name does not change....

Scott

Boeing777_Banner_pilot.jpg

Scott Stephens

First the router can be stopped from changing your internal address by changing settings for your PC or any other ( printer ,etc).

then you have to manually alter the file C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc\hosts (open with Notepad) to indicate the IP address to name translation.. The file has an explanation inside it..

Jorge