Sign in to follow this  
Ray Proudfoot

Best cloud package for P3D

A trivial difference in fps so I would shoot for best quality or next best DXT5.  

Cheers
jja

AMD RYZEN 9 5900X 12 CORE CPU - ZOTAC RTX 3060Ti GPU - NZXT H510i ELITE CASE - EVO M.2 970 500GB DRIVE - 32GB XTREEM 4000 MEM - XPG GOLD 80+ 650 WATT PS - NZXT 280 HYBRID COOLER

12 hours ago, WebMaximus said:

I don't know and yes, all the values are correct.

If you find it interesting why not give it a go yourself conducting the same kind of test?

Thanks for the test.

Are default P3D clouds 32bit or DXT5 or something else?

gb.

YSSY. Win 10, 6700K@4.8, Corsair H115i Cooler, RTX 4070Ti, 32GB G.Skill Trident Z F4-3200, Samsung 960 EVO M.2 256GB, ASUS Maximus VIII Ranger, Corsair HX850i 850W, Thermaltake Core X31 Case, Samsung 4K 65" TV.

4 hours ago, gboz said:

Thanks for the test.

gb.

No idea since I never used the default textures.

As for 1024 vs 512 and 32-bit vs different DXT compression methods I had a CTD caused by terrain.dll when I switched from 512 to 1024 and DXT to 32-bit. Maybe it wasn't related in any way but since I rarely not to use the word never have CTDs and especially not caused by terrain.dll I decided to go back to 512 and DTX again and since all is good and no more CTDs.

Again, might have been just a coincidence considering the number of people who are using higher resolution than 512 and 32-bit textures but still thought it was worth mentioning. Maybe it was my graphics card that tipped over the edge sort of speak or maybe it had something to do with the fact I'm flying in VR using a pair of Oculus Rift glasses and the FlyInside software.

Richard Åsberg

AS16/ASCA + ENVTEX + PTA here is well.

System: MSFS2020-Premium Deluxe, ASUS Maximus XI Hero,  Intel i7-8086K o/c to 5.0GHz, Corsair AIO H115i Pro, Lian Li PC-O11D XL,MSI RTX 3080 SUPRIM 12Gb, Samsung 970 EVO M.2 SSD, 1Tb Samsung 860 EVO SSD, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3200Mhz RAM, Corsair R1000X Gold PSU,Win 11 ,LG 43UD79 43" 4K IPS Panel., Airbus TCA Full Kit, Stream Deck XL.

1 hour ago, Travelling_Wilbury said:

AS16/ASCA + ENVTEX + PTA here is well.

I second that!  I have been able to achieve the best possible visual fidelity with this combination.  Also, even though ASCA provides its own sky colors, many of them look quite unnatural to me. This is where ENVTEX has its strength: I have never seen sky colors as realistic as theirs. On the other hand, ASCA has better clouds than ENVTEX.

Ray might be pleased to hear that the developer of ENVTEX is a passionate Concorde flyer and is involved in testing CPS-X. :)

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Afterburner said:

I second that!  I have been able to achieve the best possible visual fidelity with this combination.  Also, even though ASCA provides its own sky colors, many of them look quite unnatural to me. This is where ENVTEX has its strength: I have never seen sky colors as realistic as theirs. On the other hand, ASCA has better clouds than ENVTEX.

Ray might be pleased to hear that the developer of ENVTEX is a passionate Concorde flyer and is involved in testing CPS-X. :)

I shall have to investigate further I think. What's his name? I thought there were only two of us plus Pierre testing CPS-X.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

27 minutes ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

I shall have to investigate further I think. What's his name? I thought there were only two of us plus Pierre testing CPS-X.

Maxime Konareff

4 minutes ago, Afterburner said:

Maxime Konareff

I did see his name but he didn't report any bugs. Perhaps other behind-the-scenes work for Pierre.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

11 hours ago, gboz said:

Thanks for the test.

gb.

The default clouds are DXT5, mipped, 256x256 resolution. 

|   Dave   |    I've been around for most of my life.

There's always a sunset happening somewhere in the world that somebody is enjoying.

10 hours ago, sightseer said:

The default clouds are DXT5, mipped, 256x256 resolution. 

Ok, thanks.

gb.

YSSY. Win 10, 6700K@4.8, Corsair H115i Cooler, RTX 4070Ti, 32GB G.Skill Trident Z F4-3200, Samsung 960 EVO M.2 256GB, ASUS Maximus VIII Ranger, Corsair HX850i 850W, Thermaltake Core X31 Case, Samsung 4K 65" TV.