Sign in to follow this  
Demious

How relevant is the 4970k for the new sims?

I has a look at the system requirements that are available for the new sims for this year and I see the one has the minimum requiremenst of an i3-6100 (2-core @ 3.7Ghz) and the other an i5-6600 (4-core @ 3.3Ghz).

I'm running a i7-4790k (4-core @ 4.7Ghz), so non of the requirend ones for the new sims have more cores and both have significantly lower speed. As a novice in computer specs, I'd say that the 4790k is ahead on both of them.

Now what are those 6th gen processors different from the 4th gen, that 2 core @ 3.7Ghz, or 4 cores @ 3.3Ghz is good enough but an i7-4790k with 4 cores @ 4.7Ghz wouldnt be able to cope anymore?

Cheers!

Maarten

The two 6xxx series you listed above fall short of what your 4790K @ 4.7GHz can do.  They would be a giant step backward for you.  Also, keep in mind that all developers state minimum hardware requirements that will run their product at minimum frame rate and in stock configuration.  Whereas, we all want to have higher frame rates (at least smooth operation) and throw a bunch of addons at the base sim.

Like you I have a 4790K and it does just fine.  Good, strong performer!

HTH

Greg

That's what I thought. So minimum requirements is not a 6th generation, anything older with the these, or better specs will do.

Thank, Greg! :)

Cheers!

Maarten

8 minutes ago, Demious said:

That's what I thought. So minimum requirements is not a 6th generation, anything older with the these, or better specs will do.

Thank, Greg! :)

Hm.. no, those 6th gen *ARE* the minnimum requirement.

*Minimum* means the lowest you need to run the program... anything from there UP/Newer works, but lower/older will NOT work

So a 4th gen is not enough, even though the specs are better than the minimum requirements?

Cheers!

Maarten

17 minutes ago, Demious said:

So a 4th gen is not enough, even though the specs are better than the minimum requirements?

Your 4790k will be just fine. The newer processors are able to handle certain things better, but as for games, it won't know the difference. 

Nick Hatchel

"Sometimes, flying feels too godlike to be attained by man. Sometimes, the world from above seems too beautiful, too wonderful, too distant for human eyes to see …"
Charles A. Lindbergh, 1953

System: Custom Watercooled--Intel i7-8700k OC: 5.0 Ghz--Gigabyte Z370 Gaming 7--EVGA GTX 1080ti Founders Edition--16GB TridentZ RGB DDR4--240GB SSD--460GB SSD--1TB WD Blue HDD--Windows 10--55" Sony XBR55900E TV--GoFlight VantEdge Yoke--MFG Crosswind Pedals--FSXThrottle Quattro Throttle Quadrant--Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS--TrackIR 5--VRInsight MCPii Boeing

Yeah, ok. That's what I wanted to know. Basically speaking, for my use, I have to count cores and speed :P

Cheers!

Maarten

you'll be fine... I'm still on my 2500K 4GHz I run XP11 pretty well... but urban areas it's definitely showing its age.

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |