Sign in to follow this  
Guest DK8290

Use your Xbox 360 controller with FS

I dunno taildragger,I gather from your blog that you are also a pilot. I can't see how an Xbox 360 controller could possibly be better than the longer throw in a good joystick. I've never liked the "nubs" on any of the console controllers and can't see how I could take these input devices seriously. Honestly, I really wish the sidewinder series had not been abandonded in favor of Xbox accessories.J-

Jeff Bea

I am an avid globetrotter with my trusty Lufthansa B777F, Polar Air Cargo B744F, and Atlas Air B748F.

>Honestly, I really wish the sidewinder series had not been>abandonded in favor of Xbox accessories.I hear ya, I love my sidewinder II and it still works great, just not with my current ASUS MOBO. Got a Saitek X52 and it just isn't the same.Regards, MichaelKDFWhttp://www.calvirair.com/mcpics/mcdcvabanner.jpgCalVirAir International

Best, Michael

KDFW

Guest DK8290

I use a Saitek P3000 wireless gamepad most of the time now. The little sticks on it are actually more sensitive than the X-45 stick with the way too strong centering spring (which I had to recently use pliers to alter a bit).I can appreciate the idea of these other controllers even though they aren't 'realistic' (who knows, maybe the next generation of real aircraft conrols will mimic these controllers to better fit in with the aquired familiarity of a whole generation of gamepad users who become pilots of the future LOL) because I like how they allow more freedom in sitting or relaxing while flight simming instead of being restricted to the usual simming position. Maybe it's my computer chair or the fact that I spend hours sitting doing watercolours a day but I started sometimes just hating sitting at my flight stick and throttle setup for too long (and I consider mine well arranged).Anyway, I like the idea of using different controllers

Guest Jimbofly

In one respect I can understand xbox controllers being practical devices for flying, because I used to fly R/C and you get used to it fairly quickly, HOWEVER:I have an MS Sidewinder FF2 joystick and love it to pieces. I've had it for 4 years, still works perfectly, and I'm worried that before too much longer it will start to fail. When that happens it would be nice to have a newer model MS Sidewinder stick.Whattaya reckon Bill?

Xbox controller and hardcore simmers, they wont hear it :D "you can lead a horse to water, but you cant make him drink it". I think most users here wouldnt have a xbox controller, they think its a toy only for little children and could not be used for something advanced as a flightsimulator.:D

Guest tdragger

>I gather from your blog that you are also a pilot.I am.> I can't see how an Xbox 360 controller could possibly be better than the longer throw in a good joystick.Well, it's no worse (only different) than my Sidewinder. That never felt like the stick in the J3 either but I trained myself to use it.As for the long throw, you should ask a F-16 pilot. I think their sidestick control only deflects about an inch from center.

Guest tdragger

<>I'd try to find a spare now (eBay?) for when the time comes.

The explanations about Vista and DX10 are also very informative.

HiI have an MS Sidewinder FF joystick for 6 years now and love it Still works perfectly so I'll stick with this one.Stelios

Stelios Christofides

Different strokes for different folks I guess...Thanks for continuing to make MSFS a reality.J-

Jeff Bea

I am an avid globetrotter with my trusty Lufthansa B777F, Polar Air Cargo B744F, and Atlas Air B748F.

"As for the long throw, you should ask a F-16 pilot. I think their sidestick control only deflects about an inch from center."Indeed. A couple of years ago, I had the opportunity to fly one of the Air Force's F-16 simulators at Hill Air Force Base, here in Utah. The stick doesn't move very much at all. It was quite a difference from the standard PC joystick.