warbirds

Got stutters with V4? Try this -

Recommended Posts

After days of adjusting this setting and that setting and getting fairly upset with V4 stutter I thought maybe it could be a refresh rate issue so I went into the Nvidia control panel refresh section and set rate from 60 to 59.

I was happy to see that most of my stutters were gone. I also set fps at 20 which also helps. 

So if you have stutters try different refresh rates and see how it goes. 

Also just changing the refresh rate for the game did not help,,it has to be universal and set in the Nvidia control panel. 

Share this post


Link to post
Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Thanks for the tip. Will try that later. I didn't have stutters that bad with v3. And like you I played a lot with settings. Definitely following this topic. 

Share this post


Link to post

How is it compared to using vsync at 30hz for example and locking your FPS at that value?  Things were always very smooth in V3 with those settings but I'm struggling to replicate that in V4.  I'll try doing that when I get home.

Share this post


Link to post
6 minutes ago, sfgiants13 said:

How is it compared to using vsync at 30hz for example and locking your FPS at that value?  Things were always very smooth in V3 with those settings but I'm struggling to replicate that in V4.  I'll try doing that when I get home.

Locking my frames inside P3Dv4 gives me stutters. 30hz refresh rate, Vsync and frames set to unlimited are giving me a very smooth experience.

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
2 minutes ago, laserit said:

Locking my frames inside P3Dv4 gives me stutters. 30hz refresh rate, Vsync and frames set to unlimited are giving me a very smooth experience.

It's weird that I'm having the opposite experience.  With unlimited my FPS jump quite a bit and I get blurries, vs. locked I get a much better experience.  But, when my GPU load hits 100%, my FPS drop and I get stutters since I can't maintain the refresh rate on my monitor.  

Share this post


Link to post

You really should try 59 refresh if your monitor is 60 refresh. I tried the 30 refresh trick and made windows and V4 sluggish. It is so simple and easy to try.

Share this post


Link to post
1 minute ago, sfgiants13 said:

It's weird that I'm having the opposite experience.  With unlimited my FPS jump quite a bit and I get blurries, vs. locked I get a much better experience.  But, when my GPU load hits 100%, my FPS drop and I get stutters since I can't maintain the refresh rate on my monitor.  

When I'm Vsync'd at 30hz my frames don't go past 30. My gpu is a 1080 and I'm using a 4k 60hz TV. At first I was running at 60hz with Vsync and was achieving an average of about 45 fps (frames set to unlimited). I was pretty happy with the smoothness but occasionally I would get a microstutter. I tried limiting the frames to 30 and the results were terrible. I then set my TV to 30hz, Vsync and unlimited frames and the results were awesome. I tried limiting the frames at 30 to see the effects and it induced stutters like before.

For me, that seems to be the sweet spot.

We have to remember that if we're pushing close to the limits of our systems, were going to get some stutters. I loaded up Orbx  SoCal and took off from KLAX and my frames were jumping around between 17-30 with stutters here and there. My gpu was performing to the limits of its ability.

Share this post


Link to post

This is why my 25HZ 4K 55", VSYNC on, and unlimited fps is so good with GTX970 and sometimes 2 of them.

It does not push the cards over the edge

 

Michael Moe

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
30 minutes ago, Michael Moe said:

This is why my 25HZ 4K 55", VSYNC on, and unlimited fps is so good with GTX970 and sometimes 2 of them.

It does not push the cards over the edge

 

Michael Moe

Do you have an issue with blurries?  That's what I did for a while but couldn't get rid of blurries unless I locked it at 1 FPS over the refresh rate.  At least in V3.  I'm still testing in V4 but it seems similar but I'm also trying to reduce the load on my GPU so the jury is still out on how the sim will react once I do that.

Share this post


Link to post
3 hours ago, laserit said:

Locking my frames inside P3Dv4 gives me stutters. 30hz refresh rate, Vsync and frames set to unlimited are giving me a very smooth experience.

but at 30hz your mouse looks disgustingly laggy lol

Share this post


Link to post

P3Dv4 needs its own tweak Guide! :)

 

Yes.. I had stutters and Photoscenery needs its own settings.. not sure what is good for that.

 

I also noticed that the Affinity mask is not working in V4. Could someone else confirm this please

Share this post


Link to post

Wow, v4 and still stutters, that's too bad.

 

Tony

Share this post


Link to post
5 hours ago, warbirds said:

After days of adjusting this setting and that setting and getting fairly upset with V4 stutter I thought maybe it could be a refresh rate issue so I went into the Nvidia control panel refresh section and set rate from 60 to 59.

I was happy to see that most of my stutters were gone. I also set fps at 20 which also helps. 

So if you have stutters try different refresh rates and see how it goes. 

Also just changing the refresh rate for the game did not help,,it has to be universal and set in the Nvidia control panel. 

I am using surround view with 3 X 24" monitor and I have only one choice 60 Hz as the refresh rate

Share this post


Link to post

Mods, might as well close this thread as no one is really interested in even trying my simple fix. 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post

Hey Paul, I tried...but I am unable to change my 60hz to anything else..Hmmmm

Share this post


Link to post

I have 3 monitors but only one is changeable to 59hz.

 

Darcy

Share this post


Link to post

You can try to manually adjust it to 59. I am just testing that. 20 fps limit way too low IMHO though. 

Ok, tested, no impact on stutters for me at all. Setting to 30hz with vsync works better for me. However, as always, YMMV.

Thanks for the heads up.

 

Share this post


Link to post

I tried something that made a huge difference for me. I disabled high definition terrain texture ( or something lke that). I run unlimited fps, vsync and triple buffering on. My monitor runs at 60hz. Flying at default starting point with default aircraft with UTX, FTX global and OpenLc NA and it's running smooth as silk and never goes below 60. Obviously not going to be the case at detailed airport with a PMDG plane and Activesky running, but I guess it's a starting point to experiment with. If I enable that high def texture setting, stutterfest again. My other settings are on the high side, except no traffic whatsoever. 

Share this post


Link to post
10 hours ago, laserit said:

Locking my frames inside P3Dv4 gives me stutters. 30hz refresh rate, Vsync and frames set to unlimited are giving me a very smooth experience.

+1 same here

Share this post


Link to post

How does one set refresh rate?  I see no way to do that in nVidia Control Panel.

Edit: Never mind.  Google is my friend.  

 

Share this post


Link to post

I am sick of setting my 970 to  60htz!,what I want to know is how to keep it set  at 60htz it seems to reset itself to 59htz every time I turn my PC on, and why close a thread when you have sparked two pages of interest on the subject?

Peter

Share this post


Link to post
14 hours ago, Griphos said:

How does one set refresh rate?  I see no way to do that in nVidia Control Panel.

Edit: Never mind.  Google is my friend.  

 

Refresh rate is a function of your monitor or in my case TV so you have to look into your monitor menu and/or setup manual to set the refresh rates it is potentially capable of and in some cases where to plug in the video cables in the back.

Joe

Share this post


Link to post
On 6/3/2017 at 0:52 PM, Michael Moe said:

This is why my 25HZ 4K 55", VSYNC on, and unlimited fps is so good with GTX970 and sometimes 2 of them.

It does not push the cards over the edge

 

Michael Moe

I have a i7 6700k running at 4.0ghz (stock) and a gtx 970 with 4gb of memory but my sim has terrible stutters. 

I've basically had to turn down my settings to sparse for most things. Here they are:

Any suggestions on what I should do? 

(I have Fiber_Frame_Time_Fraction set to 0.01 but that still didnt work, also I have my sim running with an affinity mask so it leaves the first core out for system tasks)

I've heard from many people that dynamic lighting also makes the sim take a big hit but even when turning it off the stutters re-appear. Also, dynamic lighting is a must for me since i like night time flying

 

edit: I wanna try the 59hz fix but wouldn't that cause permanent damage to your monitor if it doesn't support it? I have a 1080p monitor running at 60hz. How can I check if it is supported? Or is it just that since it already supports 60hz it will support anything lower?

 

edit 2: I tried the 59hz set-up but the stutters still came. 

Share this post


Link to post
6 hours ago, Feddy246 said:

I have a i7 6700k running at 4.0ghz (stock) and a gtx 970 with 4gb of memory but my sim has terrible stutters. 

I've basically had to turn down my settings to sparse for most things. Here they are:

Any suggestions on what I should do? 

(I have Fiber_Frame_Time_Fraction set to 0.01 but that still didnt work, also I have my sim running with an affinity mask so it leaves the first core out for system tasks)

I've heard from many people that dynamic lighting also makes the sim take a big hit but even when turning it off the stutters re-appear. Also, dynamic lighting is a must for me since i like night time flying

 

edit: I wanna try the 59hz fix but wouldn't that cause permanent damage to your monitor if it doesn't support it? I have a 1080p monitor running at 60hz. How can I check if it is supported? Or is it just that since it already supports 60hz it will support anything lower?

 

edit 2: I tried the 59hz set-up but the stutters still came. 

Have a look in Nvidia Controlpanel under Monitor. You cant change resolution and HZ if your monitor supports it. I am having a mega smooth experience with 25HZ /4K SLI GTX970 and No blurries with textbandmult =70

 

Thanks Michael Moe 

Share this post


Link to post

Thanks Paul, it appears to work. Didn't know I had a refresh rate of 59 but there it was. It has certainly made it a lot smoother in the turns when these micro stutters are the worse. Thanks for posting this

 

Cheers

 

Nelson

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now