Sign in to follow this  
wanabflyer

FSX-SE & UAC

I am about to start a clean install of FSX-SE on my brand new W10/Kaby lake build. I am walking into new territory here having never used SE or W10 before while flying on several earlier MSFS versions including FSX on W7 for several years.

On reminiscing those past years I always ran my flight sim rig with UAC off and had a pretty trouble free flying experience. However, I also recall some very frustrating times getting rid of self installing garbage apps, and malware, etc and at least two Windows reinstalls over the years. When researching this (UAC) subject, I read a lot of advice on on how to turn it off, which I already know, but no sound reason for doing so and a lot of reasons why not to, especially considering the level of invasive technology out there today.

I also have a separate gaming rig on W7 with UAC set to default level that I use for playing my favourite games when taking a break from flying and have never had any trouble.

My question is, can you run a trouble free FSX-SE on W10 with UAC on and setting FSX with all associated programs/add ons to run as administrator without problems in FSX?

Rick Hobbs

Boeing777_Banner_Pilot.jpg

39 minutes ago, wanabflyer said:

My question is, can you run a trouble free FSX-SE on W10 with UAC on and setting FSX with all associated programs/add ons to run as administrator without problems in FSX?

Yes, is the simple answer. I run FSX:SE in Windows 10 Pro 64 bit with UAC on. It's best to avoid installing FSX into the default Program Files folder on the boot drive (mine is in a folder called "FSX" in the root folder on the C: drive). Some people may disagree but, to me, UAC adds an extra layer of security and as long as it doesn't significantly interfere with running software (what's an extra click between friends?), I'm more than happy to keep it enabled.

i7-6700k | Asus Maximus VIII Hero | 16GB RAM | MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X Plus | Samsung Evo 500GB & 1TB | WD Blue 2 x 1TB | EVGA Supernova G2 850W | AOC 2560x1440 monitor | Win 10 Pro 64-bit

UAC seems to be a good idea on a family computer where everyone has their own lower level account. 

I've always turned it off on computers were I am the only user.

Bob

i5, 16 GB ram, GTX 960, FS on SSD, Windows 10 64 bit, home built works anyway.

2 hours ago, bobbyjack said:

UAC seems to be a good idea on a family computer where everyone has their own lower level account. 

I've always turned it off on computers were I am the only user.

But it could just as easily be a piece of software or malware rather than another user which is trying to change something on your system - see http://www.digitalcitizen.life/uac-why-you-should-never-turn-it-off. The article is a few years old but the information is still relevant.

i7-6700k | Asus Maximus VIII Hero | 16GB RAM | MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X Plus | Samsung Evo 500GB & 1TB | WD Blue 2 x 1TB | EVGA Supernova G2 850W | AOC 2560x1440 monitor | Win 10 Pro 64-bit

Well, I'm not saying anyone else should turn it off. Just that I do. I'm no expert, but I've fixed a lot of computers that had expensive AV, firewall, and UAC. A virus will go for the registry, and other parts of the OS. Of course I don't want to make it easy for the bad guys. Folks ask me why their computers are so slow. They have all the protections turned on, and still all kinds of junk gets through. My gripe is that everybody wants to use their computer, but few want to learn how to take car of them.

Bob

i5, 16 GB ram, GTX 960, FS on SSD, Windows 10 64 bit, home built works anyway.

I've' always turned UAC off. I found it just used to moan at me.. do you want to do this, are you sure you want to do it?

Never ever had any issues at all.

Robin

"Onward & Upward" ...
To the Stars, & Beyond...