Sign in to follow this  
captain420

Best way to practice Kai Tak IGS 13 landing in PMDG 747/777?

I've never seen an approved RNAV approach into Kai Tak. But assuming one existed why would anyone flying a simulator want to do that?  Half the fun of the IGS approach is getting to the turn without crunching a building or two. Or being too high, or too fast, or.......... And, I agree, it would be really dumb to dial in IHK, that's why the instructions say to use the IGS..........Doug

Intel 10700K @ 5.1Ghz, Asus Hero Maximus motherboard, Noctua NH-U12A cooler, Corsair Vengeance Pro 32GB 3200 MHz RAM, RTX 2060 Super GPU, Cooler Master HAF 932 Tower, Thermaltake 1000W Toughpower PSU, Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit, 100TB of disk storage. Klaatu barada nickto.

1 hour ago, W2DR said:

I've never seen an approved RNAV approach into Kai Tak. But assuming one existed why would anyone flying a simulator want to do that?  Half the fun of the IGS approach is getting to the turn without crunching a building or two. Or being too high, or too fast, or.......... And, I agree, it would be really dumb to dial in IHK, that's why the instructions say to use the IGS..........Doug

I don't view the initial approach as especially difficult -- like following any approach to intercept an ILS and then following an ordinary LOC/GS.  The tricky part is the turn, lining up properly with the runway (especially in a cross-wind), descending at the right rate.  Of course that part can't be done with the A/P (and if someone believes the Land 3 annunciation he/she will be in for a bit of a surprise).

Mike

bUmq4nJ.jpg?2

4 hours ago, W2DR said:

I don't think anyone was suggesting an RNAV approach, but rather dialing the IGS into the FMC for reference, as you would any other instrument approach. At least you then get an idea as to where the waypoints are.

Captain Kevin

nGsKmfi.jpg

Air Kevin 124 heavy, wind calm, runway 4 left, cleared for take-off.

Live streams of my flights here.

Instead of taking off from VHHH why not do a proper flight plan. This is my suggestion about a 1 hour flight. This was used as a test fpl when PF3 was in early beta. It works perfectly in that respect. We also tested the Hold facility at CH with PF3 descending the user to 6,000ft while holding.

ZJSY to VHHX cruise level FL240

wypts --> AL(alt7,000) -->WL(end of SID FL240)-->GIVIL-->NYB-->
SIKOU-->RAGSO-->CHALI(Start of STAR FL160)-->CH(Alt8,000 H)

Don't forget the FAF is 4,500ft. And also the transition level is FL110 at both the origin and destination airports.

At CH descend to 4,500ft. When abeam SL, i.e when it is due North of you, start your turn according to the chart. Best to be at 180kts at the start of the turn. Slow down to 160 for the glideslope capture and make sure you are at Vat+5 or Vat+xwind/3) before you reach the checkerboard. About a 10deg bank should be enough unless the crosswind has  more than  a 5kt component..

12 hours ago, vololiberista said:

Instead of taking off from VHHH why not do a proper flight plan. This is my suggestion about a 1 hour flight.

Because he said this in his initial post.

On 6/22/2017 at 9:54 AM, captain420 said:

I would like to the quickest and easiest method so that I can continuously load up the plane to practice this.

What you've suggested isn't exactly quick, per se.

• Upvote 2

Captain Kevin

nGsKmfi.jpg

Air Kevin 124 heavy, wind calm, runway 4 left, cleared for take-off.

Live streams of my flights here.

21 minutes ago, Captain Kevin said:

Because he said this in his initial post.

What you've suggested isn't exactly quick, per se.

I agree.  Let's stay focused on the OP's question.

Mike

bUmq4nJ.jpg?2