Le Français

P3DV4 - Motherboard, RAM & CPU Upgrade

Hello!

So planning to upgrade my PC to a new case, new MOBO, RAM & CPU. (Also my GPU to a GTX 1070)

What would you recommend for an MOBO? 

Would P3DV4 work well with DDR4 or should I stick with DDR3?

Would an Intel Core i7-7700K Kaby Lake Quad-Core 4.2 GHz LGA 1151 91W be good enough?

Thank you all!

Clem

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Hi Clem - I believe you'll find the 7700K is considered the sweet spot currently for sim enthiusiasts, but opinions can vary.  However, we're on the cusp of new CPU offerings from Intel (Skylake-X, Kaby Lake-X & Coffee Lake) as well as AMD's Threadripper.  If you can wait 6 months, you might have some better choices to consider among the new breed.  Both Skylake-X and Kaby Lake-X have their issues, so I'm specifically interested in what Coffee Lake and Threadripper have to offer, although, concerning Threadripper, I have always preferred Intel.  But...  it is good to have AMD back in the game because we users win when there's competition..

I'm also thinking about a Kaby Lake build, so many damn M/Bs and marketing b*** ****! Looking at Asus right now, not convinced I need all the jazzy features of the more expensive boards since I only want to OC the CPU and good on board audio. 

Asus Prime Z270-A

Asus ROG Strix Z270F

Did you have an air cooler on initially then changed to water block?

Yes I used the air cooler until I mounted everthing in the case, just for testing purpose. The Corsair Hydro H100 does a great job even at 4.9 GHZ