Nordair

"Basic instrument"?

Hello captains!

I just purchased P3D v4 and realized that most planes I always used in FSX is not compatible with P3D V4. I only have one simple question, if I purchased PMDG 737-900, does it comes with "simple" to fly just like in FSX? I am not a pilot nor a professional. In FSX, all I have to do is push a button to start the engine, then turn the lights on and closes the doors and off I fly. I hope PMDG have like that available?

Much thanks pilots! 

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

1 hour ago, Nordair said:

Hello captains!

I just purchased P3D v4 and realized that most planes I always used in FSX is not compatible with P3D V4. I only have one simple question, if I purchased PMDG 737-900, does it comes with "simple" to fly just like in FSX? I am not a pilot nor a professional. In FSX, all I have to do is push a button to start the engine, then turn the lights on and closes the doors and off I fly. I hope PMDG have like that available?

Much thanks pilots! 

No. PMDG are study level planes. You need to read manuals and to do almost everything like in real airplane.

But you have panel states which you can load - cold and dark, ready to start engine, etc. It's not that hard, you need to go through tutorial flights(included with the plane). 

• Upvote 1

Although the 737 does load with engines running (by default) I wouldn't say it's simple to fly. Just the opposite in fact; what appeals to most PMDG customers is the fidelity of the simulated aircraft.

You pretty much have to understand the aircraft and understand pilotage to have any 'fun'.

I certainly wouldn't want to discourage anyone from buying PMDG products. Heck, you could argue that loading up a flight and just admiring the modeling could be enough of a reason to have these aircraft.

Perhaps you could watch some videos and get a sense of what it's like to fly one of these aircraft.

Well, welcome to the forum.  The rules state you need to sign your first and last name at the bottom, so may want to read the sticky on that one.

PDMG retains from Prepar3D many of the basic keyboard commands you've mentioned, which in turn retained the original FSX key bindings.  So, yeah, you could get away with operating the plane using some of these simple commands.

But, the reason most folks buy PDMG products is for the study-level realism and the joy of operating the aircraft on a much more detailed level.  So in that regard, you'd be paying for a lot more depth than you need.

Mark Trainer

I'd like to chime in here by saying that it's quite a move from enjoying default aircraft to a study level aircraft, but most of us are drawn to flight simulation because it involves learning, trial and error and a challenge.  With that in mind, you might just fall in love (a.k.a. become a flight addict like many of us) with the experience of learning a study level aircraft.

One of the greatest things about our hobby is that it's a continual learning process.  After getting the PMDG 737NGX down, you might well find yourself pulled towards VATSIM where you can join a virtual world of pilots and air traffic controllers! 

There is always another horizon in our hobby, and one of the differences bewtween years ago and today are the many video tutorials and knowledge based aviation and flight sim websites where you can learn.  One piece of advice that many would benefit from is to remember that there are very few questions you'll have that haven't already been asked and answered, and Google will help you find them even if you're not an expert with the termiology yet (that will come as much from the trial and error of searching).

You're at an amazing point in flight simulation, and I envy you for both the experience and journey you're about to undertake. After 30 years in this hobby, I'm still learning and experiencing new things!

Best wishes my friend!