Sign in to follow this  
Drumcode

FSDT's AFCADs?

12 minutes ago, captain420 said:

thats kind of inconvenient having to install and load up another app just to pick a gate to start at. If this can just be added into P3D's menu, then it would be the best way. We already have enough apps to load when using P3D. We don't need any more.

Take a chill pill.

I listed it as a OPTIONAL way to do what some people want to accomplish.  Just because you don't think it's a good idea or "inconvenient" doesn't make it that way for everybody. It takes less than 3 seconds on my computer to load it once I click the desktop icon I have for it.  And I would bet LESS time figuring out what gates to use than going through the whole goat-rope of loading the entire SIM to a runway first, opening GSX, searching it's menu, then "warping" to the gate finally.

Rick Ryan

I am chill. Was I yelling? Maybe you need to chill.

ASUS ROG Maximus Hero XII ▪︎ Intel i9-10900K ▪︎ NVIDIA RTX 3090 FE ▪︎ 64GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro ▪︎ Windows 10 Pro (21H1) ▪︎ Samsung 970 EVO Pro 1TB NVME SSD (OS Drive) ▪︎ Samsung 860 EVO 2TB SATA SSD ▪︎ Seagate 4TB SATA HDD ▪︎ Corsair RMx 850W PSU

I tried the recommended method of choosing an airport, positioning on the default runway and then bringing up the GSX menu and then positioning the aircraft at a selected gate. It works well. Just requires a different mindset after 20+ years of using the sim's gate menu.

I also selected a suitable gate at my destination before departing using EFB and then when 15 miles out brought up the GSX menu, selected my airport and then the gate. FollowMe guided me there and although there was an Ai in my slot (bloody cheek! :rolleyes:) I used FSUIPC's Zapper to remove him.

Never too old to learn something new. :biggrin:

One final thing. Does anyone else have to resize the GSX menu when it's first displayed? Far too small to show all menu options so I have to drag a corner to make it bigger. I've asked Umberto if it can be resized and waiting to get a reply. 'm running 1920x1080.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

Interesting post, Ray, but IMHO, a rather long-winded way to first position on a default runway, the choose GSX to to position the plane at a gate and then put up with 'gate occupied' message. Surely positioning at a gate where one can see if it is occupied is a better option, in theory, at least.

1 minute ago, vc10man said:

Interesting post, Ray, but IMHO, a rather long-winded way to first position on a default runway, the choose GSX to to position the plane at a gate and then put up with 'gate occupied' message. Surely positioning at a gate where one can see if it is occupied is a better option, in theory, at least.

Rick,

You misunderstand or I'm not good enough when writing my experiences. :biggrin:

The placement of your aircraft at departure is as simple as typing the ICAO and then hitting the OK button. The location defaults to the active runway.

When the GSX menu is displayed it shows which gates are available so you only have to move the aircraft once.

The situation at Arrival is different because GSX can't reserve a gate. Try it. It works well at all airports, not just FSDT ones.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

4 minutes ago, vc10man said:

I think that is the way Rays was doing it (and I continue to do it). Ray's now doping it the way it was suggested in this thread, I think.

With ProATCx I am selecting the gate when I create the flightplan, so I need to know the gate before I start the sim.

MSFS Premium Deluxe Edition; Windows 11 Pro, I9-9900k; Asus Maximus XI Hero; Asus TUF RTX3080TI; 32GB G.Skill Ripjaw DDR4 3600; 2X Samsung 1TB 970EVO; NZXT Kraken X63; Seasonic Prime PX-1000, LG 48" C1 Series OLED, Honeycomb Yoke & TQ, CH Rudder Pedals, Logitech G13 Gamepad 

I am doing it the way you suggested duckbilled. Anyone comment on the GSX menu size?

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

Could anyone point me to an up to date list of parking codes used in P3D? FSDT's ORD AFCAD is all outdated and I'd like to correct, especially the international terminal.

Jacek G.

Ryzen 5800X3D | Asus RTX4090 OC | 64gb DDR4 3600 | Asus ROG Strix X570E | HX1000w | Fractal Design Torrent RGB | AOC AGON 49' Curved QHD |

23 hours ago, captain420 said:

thats kind of inconvenient having to install and load up another app just to pick a gate to start at. If this can just be added into P3D's menu, then it would be the best way. We already have enough apps to load when using P3D. We don't need any more.

Our sceneries are designed taking into account you surely must have GSX installed which, of course, it's totally free to use at all our sceneries. Apart from the ground vehicles, with no GSX, our sceneries won't have Visual Docking systems and the latest ones won't even have jetways, since they require communication between GSX and SODE.

So, think of GSX like an extension of the scenery.

And yes, it IS more efficient this way. Instead of having each scenery installing its own set of, let's say, docking systems or jetways, so you would end up with duplicated files and larger installers for no reason, we put all of them in GSX, so they will be installed only ONCE, and available for all our sceneries.

And, since both GSX and all our sceneries *requires* (and won't run without) our support software, which is the same that runs GSX too, the software installation is the same, because GSX it's just another plugin of the same software that runs the sceneries.

Imagine the horror (another developer DID that, a while ago), if we had a separate software module for *each* scenery...

Umberto, would it be possible to add a feature into GSX that would bring up an airport diagram window showing us all the possible gates that our current aircraft can be parked at when we bring up the menu? 

ASUS ROG Maximus Hero XII ▪︎ Intel i9-10900K ▪︎ NVIDIA RTX 3090 FE ▪︎ 64GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro ▪︎ Windows 10 Pro (21H1) ▪︎ Samsung 970 EVO Pro 1TB NVME SSD (OS Drive) ▪︎ Samsung 860 EVO 2TB SATA SSD ▪︎ Seagate 4TB SATA HDD ▪︎ Corsair RMx 850W PSU

5 hours ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

The situation at Arrival is different because GSX can't reserve a gate. Try it. It works well at all airports, not just FSDT ones.

Gate selection before arrival has been added to GSX about a year ago. The "Warp me there" option will appear as soon as you touch down.

4 minutes ago, captain420 said:

Umberto, would it be possible to add a feature into GSX that would bring up an airport diagram window showing us all the possible gates that our current aircraft can be parked at when we bring up the menu? 

I was thinking the same thing, reading the other messages. Yes, it would be a very nice new feature to add.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, virtuali said:

I was thinking the same thing, reading the other messages. Yes, it would be a very nice new feature to add.

I was thinking something similar to what X-Plane 11 has built into their menu where when you choose a gate, a map/diagram of the airport will show up, and you can clearly and visually see the entire layout with runways and all. This would make it easier to pick and choose what gate we want to start at, and which gate we wish to  taxi to when we arrive. Of course, having the ability for GSX to dynamically filter out the gates suitable for our aircraft by heavy/medium/small/cargo/GA, etc and also by Operator to match it with the real world to make it realistic as possible. That way we are sure that whatever gate we choose, that our plane will only show spots that realistically match the real world. 

For example if we are using an EVA Air 777-300 at KIAH, then Gate D7 would be a valid option, and that gate would show up on the diagram as a choice, while other gates such as C,B,A will be greyed out signaling that it's an invalid space for your current plane/operator.

59 minutes ago, virtuali said:

Gate selection before arrival has been added to GSX about a year ago. The "Warp me there" option will appear as soon as you touch down.

Warp me there? Uurrgghh!! :blink: Too much Star Trek in GSX! :biggrin: I prefer to ask for the Follow Me to take me to my chosen gate and if it's occupied I'll use my laser to zap him. :smile:

Whilst I have your attention can you please change the wording that appears when the Follow Me arrives at my aircraft? It should say Follow Me has arrived, not is arrived. Otherwise GSX is great. :smile:

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather