Sign in to follow this  
Guest jennifer

FSscene & GE

Does GE overwrite the FSscene textures? I am planning to purchase GE I want to know how much "pre" work I need to do with FS9. I am currently running UT, FSgenesis Terrain & FSScene TexturesThanksAndrew

Guest jennifer

"...Does GE overwrite the FSscene textures?..."I hope so!x(

> I hope so!x( :-lol I never liked the look of them either especially the autumn textures.

I will make sure they'll do !!!FSsene is crap and much too expensive. I've bought all 4 Africa seasons for 48 Euros (about $60.oo) only a week ago and was so disappointed I had to ask for a refund....... obviously no chance.Roland

Guest jennifer

Yes GE is excellent value for money too and all the autogen aligned beautifully.

Guest Adverse Yawn

I agree. FScene was a huge dissapoinment for the cost. I thought the textures repeated more than the defaults and the autogen is bonkers with buildings everywhere, so unrealistic especially with those goofy small grass airfields. I bought the Just Flight boxed version. I suspect Just Flight ballsed it up. Seriously considering GE.

Guest allcott

>I agree. FScene was a huge dissapoinment for the cost. I>thought the textures repeated more than the defaults and the>autogen is bonkers with buildings everywhere, so unrealistic>especially with those goofy small grass airfields. I bought>the Just Flight boxed version. I suspect Just Flight ballsed>it up. Seriously considering GE.There are a variety of patches for the autogen in FScene from the FScene website- don't know if they're relevant for the Just Flight versh, but I'd be very surprised if they weren't.A point to remember about GE and Fscene. Over at the Flight 1 forums everyone is talking about backing up the World/Sceery/Texture folder and reinstalling the default textures before installing GE. BUT some of the files that have been made available for d/l for Fscene also modify the FS9/Texture folder and the .agn autogen files. If you don't change those back to default as well you're asking for trouble!GE highlights the faux pricing policy of these other replacement textures, and the fact that the `regional` release policy is just bogus. If I had known then what I know now I might have actually taken the Fscene products to my local Trading Standards Office as it seems we've been hoodwinked. And I'n not getting suckered into any more BEV either!Allcott

Guest moonstar

Can someone list, in detail,and what FS9 CD, how to re-install the original textures. All of them. I have some FScene installed as well and would like to buy GE. Also using some FS Genesis stuff,landclass and some other textures. Do I uninstall them too?

When I reviewed FSscene I initially really liked them, but after I used them for some time I found the repetitive textures tiresome and some cities were totally devoid of Autogen, after uninstalling them and switching to GE, all my autogen is back and the textures are so much more believable..

Guest moonstar

Can someone tell me which disc has the original scenery files. I don't have Excel and the provided link is dead. I appreciate the help Jim, but somebody must know the location. And, if someone that helped write or develop GE is reading this, please tell me what the best way to proceed would be. I have FScene scattered around in my FS9 install, I want to install Ground Environment and overwrite FScene, please advise detailed instructions if there are any. Thanks.

Guest Peter Wilding

I'm not sure which disk the textures are on.hook up with me on msn messenger on voice tomorrow on p.wilding@btopenworld.com and I'll talk you through it.

Guest moonstar

Very cool Peter. Your expedited response is much appreciated!!!! I'll be talking at you soon.

>>GE highlights the faux pricing policy of these other>replacement textures, and the fact that the `regional` release>policy is just bogus. If I had known then what I know now I>might have actually taken the Fscene products to my local>Trading Standards Office as it seems we've been hoodwinked.>AllcottCouldn't have put it better, Allcott. I am still thinking about whether there might be a way to get our money back! Roland

Guest Adverse Yawn

The FScene autogen patch, made things worse. Yes the trees lined up, but then I get a clump of buildings at a corner of what seems like every field.

Guest allcott

>The orig textures are on CD 4.Open it and extract World.cab to a temporary directory, this will create the default structure WorldSceneryTextureThen COPY all those textures in the TEXTURE folder over to your FS9 WorldSceneryTexture folder. DON'T just copy the folder itself as you may have lots of additional textures for addons installed in your FS folder and you can end up with a lot of grey tiles or objects!The GE installer can be used after that reinstall the GE textures straight over the defaults. This ensures you don't see the jarring breaks between texture tiles or colour changes where another developer has slightly altered the default texture to match their set.Oh and remember it might be an idea to restore the original autogen textures in the FS9Texture folder too! Trees and buildings in GE are designed to work with default textures there too, and the GE installer does NOT change those, although replacement autogen is in the offing to deal with the issue of too many large buildings in the opinion of some folks.Hope this helps!Allcott

Guest allcott

>>>>GE highlights the faux pricing policy of these other>>replacement textures, and the fact that the `regional`>release>>policy is just bogus. If I had known then what I know now I>>might have actually taken the Fscene products to my local>>Trading Standards Office as it seems we've been hoodwinked.>>Allcott>>>Couldn't have put it better, Allcott. I am still thinking>about whether there might be a way to get our money back! >>Roland>Well, I've had them long enough and was happy enough with them before that I don't think that's a goer for me, but I did have a good look at some of those texture sets last night and you know what? I think that in more than one case, only 5 or 6 tiles are actually changed between the various `Regions`! What I don't think many of us had realised (I know I hadn't until GE was released) is that FS changes the `look and feel` by using very few distinct tiles for a given region, just altering the balance between them. In other words, MOST of the textures you buy in each of the FScene products you already have when you bought the first one! You do not get distinctly different sets, despite what the advertsing and marketing suggests. :-erksAnd it's the same with BEV.Perhaps the developers would like to confirm or deny that, as right now it looks like we're being sold and re-sold the same thing, the main thing that changes is the label. :-madShame it takes a new `take` on the texture product from GE to bring this to the simmers attention. I now finally understand what the developers were alluding to in the build up to release over at the Flight 1 forums. All the clues were there, we just weren't picking up on them. I couldn't understand how the GE download could be 5-season complete with worldwide coverage at just 75 megs when the sets from FScene and BEV are much, much larger for the same coverage.Allcott

>textures before installing GE. BUT some of the files that have>been made available for d/l for Fscene also modify the>FS9/Texture folder and the .agn autogen files. If you don't>change those back to default as well you're asking for>trouble!>Is the Fscene Europe fall textures among these files? How do you change these files back to default?

Guest allcott

>>textures before installing GE. BUT some of the files that>have>>been made available for d/l for Fscene also modify the>>FS9/Texture folder and the .agn autogen files. If you don't>>change those back to default as well you're asking>for>>trouble!>>>>Is the Fscene Europe fall textures among these files? How do>you change these files back to default?Only if you've installed the trees and rivers update. Change them back by restoring the backups of the files you changed. Or by getting them off the FS installation disks same as for above.Allcott

>>Perhaps the developers would like to confirm or deny that, as>right now it looks like we're being sold and re-sold the same>thing, the main thing that changes is the label. :-mad>>Allcottand FScene does sell four seasons of Africa textures making people believe they get specific textures for that continent when FS9 does not even use extra texture sets for Africa (and some other areas). Africa landclass uses the US/Canada textures.That means if you install the FScene Africa textures you get Africa textures when flying in the US.......... How about that !!!!!!!!All this only transpired after I've purchased their expensive textures and my feeling is that FScene is deliberatly misleading people. And of course, they do have a strict no refunds policy!Roland

Guest allcott

>>and FScene does sell four seasons of Africa textures making>people believe they get specific textures for that continent>when FS9 does not even use extra texture sets for Africa (and>some other areas). Africa landclass uses the US/Canada>textures.>>That means if you install the FScene Africa textures you get>Africa textures when flying in the US.......... How about that>!!!!!!!!>>All this only transpired after I've purchased their expensive>textures and my feeling is that FScene is deliberatly>misleading people. And of course, they do have a strict no>refunds policy!>>Roland >> >> Yes, that's what I mean. How come this didn't come to light before!? I never realised or I'd never have gone near them in the first place. It's only now the different approach by GE puts things into simple terms that we can all understand. And just why have other developers gone down the same route as FScene when they MUST have known that it was marketing gobbledegook? Did they all think they could get away with the same BS? I mean, I've already spent more on three seasons for BEV USA textures than on the entire GE set. Which has Global coverage - and all five seasons!Allcott